How Do I Know?

Started by Meynari Ke'nawm, November 05, 2010, 06:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meynari Ke'nawm

To everyone here that qualifies for being above the beginning level, how can I tell if I am past it? I feel better than that, but I don't know a ton of words... Is there any certain thing that an Intermediate person should be able to decipher? I test to pass? I hope there is one, because that would be super nice, just to clear stuff up.

Please help, Ulte Eywa ngahu.
GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
PADD: Watch out...
Officially the youngest member... so far...

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Meynari on November 05, 2010, 06:31:08 PM
To everyone here that qualifies for being above the beginning level, how can I tell if I am past it? I feel better than that, but I don't know a ton of words... Is there any certain thing that an Intermediate person should be able to decipher? I test to pass? I hope there is one, because that would be super nice, just to clear stuff up.

Please help, Ulte Eywa ngahu.

know all the stuff in the beginners forum.

then

move on to the intermediate forum. learn the stuff in there.

Tho I say no matter your level you should use the Na'vi nì'aw forum. the immersion is beautiful and worthwile. best way to learn it is to use it. For sure.

also, continue to use all three of these forums. Even I learn some cool new stuff from the questions asked in the beginner and intermediate forums

you bring up a good question. we dont really have a definition of beginner or intermediate learner...

omängum fra'uti

My answer now is the same as it has always been...

You are advanced as YOU feel you are.  If you feel you belong in the intermediate forum, then you do.  I suspect everyone feels comfortable there at different times, and people learn differently, so I'm not sure it is possible at the moment to really quantify what intermediate means.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

kewnya txamew'itan

My advise would be to take a peak in there, if most of the posts seem a little bit complicated then you're probably ready, if they already make sense then you probably should have started using it sooner and if it all goes over your head, hang around here a while longer. Just keep checking, also, tirea's advice on na'vi nì'aw is invaluable.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Ftiafpi

Quote from: kewnya txamew'itan on November 06, 2010, 04:07:33 AM
My advise would be to take a peak in there, if most of the posts seem a little bit complicated then you're probably ready, if they already make sense then you probably should have started using it sooner and if it all goes over your head, hang around here a while longer. Just keep checking, also, tirea's advice on na'vi nì'aw is invaluable.
This is what I would recommend as well.

Just remember that just because you don't understand doesn't mean it's too advanced, it just means that you have yet to learn it. We all have to start somewhere. I'd say as long as you're not getting frustrated with the advanced section then it's fine to consider yourself advanced. Don't be afraid to push yourself and don't be afraid to just dive right in.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Ftiafpi on November 06, 2010, 04:09:52 PM
Quote from: kewnya txamew'itan on November 06, 2010, 04:07:33 AM
This is what I would recommend as well.

Just remember that just because you don't understand doesn't mean it's too advanced, it just means that you have yet to learn it. We all have to start somewhere. I'd say as long as you're not getting frustrated with the advanced section then it's fine to consider yourself advanced. Don't be afraid to push yourself and don't be afraid to just dive right in.

This.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I bounce around between all of the language sections-- beginner, intermediate/advanced and language updates. They are all useful, IMHO, even to a beginning learner. There are very few things that leave me baffled in any of these sections. That's not to say that learning this language is a pushover-- it isn't. I have had to learn a lot of things not directly related to the language (like advanced grammar and syntax)  to really grasp this language and to begin to be proficient in it.

Regardless of how you learn-- and we all learn a bit differently. Being older, for instance, I tend to be a 'book learner' and get much out of study guides and reference grammars. Young people, being much more visual/audititory learners, often do better with audiovisual learning aids like Project Ngaynume. Whatever method works for you, that is the correct method, especially for these times when there are no 'official' learning tools or study methods. Above all though, you need a quality time commitment. This is probably my number one problem, as I have a full-time+ career, and a very active life outside of work. If I had hours a day to spend on Na`vi, I would probably be on the same level as some of the other advanced learners. But I try and use the time I have, balanced with other needs in life, to learn what I can, when I can. And it is working (but not as fast as I would like  :P ).

I believe I am in this for the long haul, and mastering the Na`vi language is now a significant priority in my life.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tsamsiyu92

I suggest that you look on the questions asked in the intermediate section and see if they're on your level. If so, then you're ready.