Idea: How about a series of Na'vi reading primers?

Started by Brian64, February 05, 2010, 02:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian64

Kaltxì!

Firstly, I have to confess to being a skxawng - when I look at the language resources and start reading about dative and accusative, all I can think of is that scene in the Life of Brian where John Cleese is correcting Graham Chapman's attempts at writing (in latin) "Romans go home!"

Still, that caused me to wonder how it is I can actually speak, read and write English reasonably well without knowing the terminology. I realised it's because I started easy, and worked my way up to the more complex structures.. that and I had the opportunity to read comics and books etc.

Anyway, to try and cut this rambling short - I had an idea. Why not see if any of the amazingly talented people on this group would be interested in putting together some basic primers, so that we can learn Na'vi the way we learned our mother tongues.

I'm imagining a book something like this, but with both English and Na'vi (not just English). Maybe even with pictures.  ::)

This is Jake

Jake is standing on his feet

Jake is standing by a tree

See Jake run

See Jake run fast

Jake is running very fast

Jake is being chased by a Thanator!  ;D

Anyway, just an idea..

Brian

Nume fpi sänume

We have something similar in our Na'vi activity workbook. Its more or less your idea, mixed in with "lower grade level" style worksheets, like 1st-early 3rd grade work. Its put together very well, and has helped me with my vocabulary a large amount. It can be found Here. I also suggest looking over the entire Current Projects Databse since it has all of the major projects contained in an easy to look through list. Let me know if this helps.

NFS

nevare

irayo irayo irayo irayo
ive been looking for stuff like this
now i have to wait till i get access to a working printer so i can print it out

Erimeyz

I'm also (very slowly) working on a beginners' guide; you can see the (very incomplete!) start of it at http://wiki.learnnavi.org/index.php?title=User:Erimeyz/Beginners'_Guide .

There are some other folks working on other materials and projects to try to help out newcomers.  A reading primer like you describe would be a great addition!  If nobody else starts one, then you should consider starting it yourself... you could write it as you learn the language!  It would help you out in learning, and when you publish it (or as you publish it in pieces as you go) then it will help other beginners, too.

The more types of stuff like this, the merrier!

- Eri