Is there a translation in Na'vi or equivalent for the word Pose?

Started by PunkMaister, April 03, 2010, 10:31:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PunkMaister

So is there a translation or equivalent for this word in Na'vi.

Ftiafpi

Which definition are you referring too?

1.  To assume or hold a particular position or posture, as in sitting for a portrait.
2.  To set forth in words; propound: pose a question.

PunkMaister

Quote from: Ftiafpi on April 03, 2010, 01:15:50 PM
Which definition are you referring too?

1.  To assume or hold a particular position or posture, as in sitting for a portrait.
2.  To set forth in words; propound: pose a question.

My bad! :-[ It would be for definition # 1

NeotrekkerZ

Nope, your closest bets would be:

kllkxem stand
ke rikx not move
Rìk oe lu hufwemì, nìn fya'ot a oe tswayon!

PunkMaister

Quote from: NeotrekkerZ on April 04, 2010, 02:16:23 AM
Nope, your closest bets would be:

kllkxem stand
ke rikx not move

OK in that case would something like Standstill or Stillstand would work?

mikllkxem

or

kllkxemmi

Just curious I'm after all just a beginner in all this...

NeotrekkerZ

Mi is not that kind of still.  Also, adpositions don't attach to verbs.  You might try

kllkxem luke tìrikx  stand without movement/moving

PunkMaister

Quote from: NeotrekkerZ on April 04, 2010, 01:56:01 PM
Mi is not that kind of still.  Also, adpositions don't attach to verbs.  You might try

kllkxem luke tìrikx  stand without movement/moving

OK what would be the word for still then or there isn't one either?

Tsamsiyu92

The Na'vi word you find on "still" is for "still" in

"it's still earliy..."

PunkMaister

Quote from: Tsamsiyu92 on April 04, 2010, 04:28:58 PM
The Na'vi word you find on "still" is for "still" in

"it's still earliy..."

I do not understand. So what the word Still can only be used in statements such as is still early but not in a statement such as Stand still? Why?

Hawnuyu atxen

Try to translate it to another language. You'll get really different meanings and usually meanings too.
For example, in hungarian "stand still" 's still is "mozdulatlanul" (without moving), and "it's still early" 's one is "még" (it's not late enough, or something like that).
"Hrrap rä'ä si olo'ur smuktuä." ; "Ke'u ke lu ngay. Frakemit tung." (Assassin's Creed)

Nikre tsa'usìn!

PunkMaister

Quote from: Hawnuyu atxen on April 04, 2010, 04:49:41 PM
Try to translate it to another language. You'll get really different meanings and usually meanings too.
For example, in hungarian "stand still" 's still is "mozdulatlanul" (without moving), and "it's still early" 's one is "még" (it's not late enough, or something like that).

Huh, so that is what Hungarian photographers tell their models during photoshoots?  "Mozdulatlanul!" (without moving) :D (Just joking)

But anyhow this exercise was to find if there was any way to find something that could come close the word pose in Na'vi as opposed to Earthen languages for example in hungarian the word for pose would be Jelent which is what a photographer would actually use...

Hawnuyu atxen

QuoteHuh, so that is what Hungarian photographers tell their models during photoshoots?  "Mozdulatlanul!" (without moving) Cheesy (Just joking)

Well, maybe... though they may rather use "Ne mozogj" (don't move)...

QuoteBut anyhow this exercise was to find if there was any way to find something that could come close the word pose in Na'vi as opposed to Earthen languages for example in hungarian the word for pose would be Jelent which is what a photographer would actually use...

Although "jelent" has many meanings (tell to boss what happened, mean), it doesn't mean "pose" (what would be "pózol")... man... is this the LearnHungarian website?

Anyways, sorry for the big OFFs...

Other thing:
instead of using "stand still", why not use "don't move" (rä'ä rikx)
"Hrrap rä'ä si olo'ur smuktuä." ; "Ke'u ke lu ngay. Frakemit tung." (Assassin's Creed)

Nikre tsa'usìn!

PunkMaister

Quote from: Hawnuyu atxen on April 04, 2010, 05:19:52 PM
QuoteHuh, so that is what Hungarian photographers tell their models during photoshoots?  "Mozdulatlanul!" (without moving) Cheesy (Just joking)

Well, maybe... though they may rather use "Ne mozogj" (don't move)...

QuoteBut anyhow this exercise was to find if there was any way to find something that could come close the word pose in Na'vi as opposed to Earthen languages for example in hungarian the word for pose would be Jelent which is what a photographer would actually use...

Although "jelent" has many meanings (tell to boss what happened, mean), it doesn't mean "pose" (what would be "pózol")... man... is this the LearnHungarian website?

Anyways, sorry for the big OFFs...

Other thing:
instead of using "stand still", why not use "don't move" (rä'ä rikx)

It would not work for what I'm trying to apply it too...

PunkMaister

OK let me try to explain. The word pose as I'n trying to use it here could be used in a number of ways for example

"She posed for Playboy" that is one form but not the only one another form could be this

"The body at the crime scene was posed in a peculiar way" See how it can be used in this fashion as well or "They posed the mannequin at the store in funny manner"

This has really stumped me I usually make a bit of headway but this has taken my fanfic writing to a screeching halt.

What if if the person, personage marker: tu is combined with another word such as yem which means place or put can that be done?

NeotrekkerZ

This is definitely a case when you have to translate the meaning, not the words.  In your first example, the closest you would probably get with our current vocabulary is "Her image was created by Playboy's people."

For the second, "pose" is more like arranged.  I would use yem here:  Tuteo-l y<ol>em tokx-it fìtseng nìfya'o a-hiyìk.  Someone placed the body here in a strange/funny manner.

I must caution that this sentence could be interpreted as "Someone strangely placed the body here" meaning that the way in which the person physically placed the body was odd.  But since this seems to be a story you can elaborate further afterwards if you feel it needs clarification.

PunkMaister

I see, what about the so called personage marker: tu as described in the dictionary with what can this marker be used other tey, tean and so on?

NeotrekkerZ

That's not how you use tu.  It's a suffix not a prefix(there is no tean for example).  About the only two examples I'm aware of are spe'etu (captive), reltseotu (artist) and hapxìtu (member).  From the scene you've painted so far, I wouldn't worry about it.