Is there a word for the verb form of land?

Started by Unilsrewtu, June 07, 2010, 05:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unilsrewtu

Ngal nume ralit Na'viyä, nga tìran Eywahu.

Muzer

As in, to land on the ground, you mean?

It's more of a coincidence than anything that the two words are the same in English, as they mean very different things. I would say something like 'ampi kllteti "to touch the ground", or possibly use pate "to get to a place" instead of 'ampi, I suppose depending on how far you are travelling (a person vs a space ship or aeroplane for example). This is just me, and I'm still not all too experienced - there could be a word for land as a verb, I just can't remember what it's under in the dictionary if there is :P
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

wm.annis

There isn't such a verb yet.  We asked for it in the LEP.

Unilsrewtu

Quote from: Muzer on June 07, 2010, 05:55:33 PM
As in, to land on the ground, you mean?

It's more of a coincidence than anything that the two words are the same in English, as they mean very different things. I would say something like 'ampi kllteti "to touch the ground", or possibly use pate "to get to a place" instead of 'ampi, I suppose depending on how far you are travelling (a person vs a space ship or aeroplane for example). This is just me, and I'm still not all too experienced - there could be a word for land as a verb, I just can't remember what it's under in the dictionary if there is :P

Yeah that's what I meant. Thanks :)
Ngal nume ralit Na'viyä, nga tìran Eywahu.

hawnuyuna'viyä

Wouldn't ne kllte (get down,  lit. to the ground) also be valid here, because if someone was flying in English you would tell to land, but could say go to the ground and be understood.
The only problem I could see with this is the possible negative connotations around the way that seems to almost be imperative.

kewnya txamew'itan

Quote from: hawnuyu na'viyä on June 08, 2010, 01:37:38 PM
Wouldn't ne kllte (get down,  lit. to the ground) also be valid here, because if someone was flying in English you would tell to land, but could say go to the ground and be understood.
The only problem I could see with this is the possible negative connotations around the way that seems to almost be imperative.

As you say, ne kllte is an imperative interjection, it might work if you work at ITC, but other than that I'd use pate/pähem (we need a clarification on the difference before we can say which though).
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

hawnuyuna'viyä

Quote from: kemeoauniaea on June 08, 2010, 01:42:59 PM
ITC
:) (Deserves its own quote)

Quote from: kemeoauniaea on June 08, 2010, 01:42:59 PM
I'd use pate/pähem (we need a clarification on the difference before we can say which though).

Where is pähem from? I can't seem to find any official examples in the wiki corpus/movie transcripts etc.
pate is listed in the movie transcript

Why use them rather than ne-X when you consider the use of ne to provide directions?

Muzer

Ah - pähem is in the dictionary and apparently means "arrive". If I was just basing it off the definitions alone, I would hazard a guess that "pähem" is intransitive and "pate" is transitive - but that's just based off the translations and guesswork - I'd really need to see the source of both of them to tell for sure.

omängum fra'uti

Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Muzer

Ah, so it was an error that got made official. Makes sense.

omängum fra'uti

Possibly, or it is just a synonym, it could go either way.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!