Main Menu

Kaltxì!

Started by Sapient Navi, June 03, 2010, 03:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tirea Aean

Quote from: bommel on June 07, 2010, 03:08:40 AM
Quote from: kemeoauniaea on June 07, 2010, 02:27:45 AM
Looks like I was right to say that my opinion of my English pronunciation should be taken with a pile of salt the size of hometree. :D
You'll be thirsty after that, I guess...

I find it quite confusing to pronounciate because I'm used to the letters's sounds in other languages and to get that fixed will be a long way to go...

That's unfortunate. I am born and raised hearing bastardized American English...yet true Na'vi phonetics just MAKE SENSE to me...weird but the best way of teaching the phonetics is to speak it with someone who knows the phonetics and pronunciation well.

still no one up for adding tireaaean on skype? ;)

bommel

Quote from: Tirea Aean on June 07, 2010, 08:36:53 AM
still no one up for adding tireaaean on skype? ;)
Perhaps 8although I need to create an acc. first) ;)

Niwantaw

I haz added you..

but that was some time ago
Only mostly AWOL.

Sapient Navi

I read you had to pay for something about skype or whatever so I didnt get it.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Sapient Navi on June 08, 2010, 12:36:41 AM
I read you had to pay for something about skype or whatever so I didnt get it.

dude skype is totally free. free to download, free to call and chat. the ONLY thing about it that will cost you is to call a person's mobile or home phone with skype...

ALL Skype to Skype calls and chats are ALWAYS 100% FREE.

Tompa'Ivong

thats what I love about net neutrality, skype has been around for ages long before any of the paid teleconferencing stuff.  Open Source is the way nowadays.  And you know what, the traditional phone companies dont like this cause it puts them outta biz.

"peu to fwa tskxefa ayuti ska'a lu sìltsan? Tskxe a kllkxem ulte fpi nga ayuti ska'a.
—Toggo, goblin weaponsmith

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on June 06, 2010, 04:40:46 PM
Quote from: Muzer on June 06, 2010, 04:23:25 PM
I can't think of any English dialect where the 'o' in "mow" is correct - though I'm a bit hazy on what it sounds like in American English. I was under the impression from my many watches of the movie (especially when they say makto ko!) that it isn't really an 'o' that is IN any dialect of English. I can think of a few other languages that I believe might contain it (German (Monat) and Japanese (any letter with "o" in it) come to mind, though my pronunciation in either of those is probably worse than in Na'vi, so take it with a pinch of salt! Japanese especially I know very little about, I just have an idea of how I think things should sound).

It isn't common on its own, but nearly every dialect of English has it as part of a diphthong, such as in mow.  For "mow", only Australia, New Zealand, England and South Africa don't use it as part of the sound.  Singapore and Scottland apparently use it there on it's own, not in a diphthong, and occasionally in Canada or US do it that way as well.

I find a more precise IPA transcription for GA and CaE is {ɵ̞ʊ}.  It always annoys me to see {oʊ} in GA transcriptions.  The real {o} has a deeper sound than the GA diphthong {ɵ̞ʊ}.  Besides, {oʊ} heads forward, while {ɵ̞ʊ} heads backward, much like {əʊ} in RP.  Thus, one could say GA is a dialect without the {o} sound.
[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

omängum fra'uti

I think perhaps GA is a bit TOO general.  In my speech, I definitely do [ oʊ ], at least on words with ol, like "soul" or "cold".  For "folk" it was actually closer to straight [ o ] rather than a diphthong the way I say it.  But I can easily see other parts of the country where that is not the case.  (This isn't just based on my judgement and how I hear myself, I tried measuring the vowels to see how they came out, and it was, by my understanding, firmly the [ o ] there.)

For other words like "no" or "toe" yeah I can see a case for it being [ ɵ̞ʊ ].  (Though I'd call it closer to [ ɵʊ ].)
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

'Oma Tirea

Mamlltxe.

I find myself saying something like [ o ] before an [ l ], as well.
[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

bommel

Quote from: Neyn'wey on June 08, 2010, 01:30:14 AM
thats what I love about net neutrality, skype has been around for ages long before any of the paid teleconferencing stuff.  Open Source is the way nowadays.  And you know what, the traditional phone companies dont like this cause it puts them outta biz.
Yeah, though Skype isn't open source.

Sapient Navi

I took 4 hours to download teamspeak 3(32 bit) for this is there a certain place to go?

Tirea Aean