Learning a spoken language when you have no-one to speak it to.

Started by txe'lan tírol, June 17, 2010, 03:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txe'lan tírol

I love that way that Na'vi sounds and the feel of the language but I am having a hard time learning it because I have no one to speak it with.  I have tried to find people with the google earth map and the meet up forums but no-one responds.  Am I the only one having this problem?

Muzer

If you have a microphone, I believe you can go onto teamspeak, there is a LN server.

Which reminds me, I MUST do that myself...
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

kewnya txamew'itan

Have a look at the project ngaynume board, you can sign up and do audio lessons online so even if you can't meet people in person you should be able to talk to your smuk lena'vi. I'm also going to be starting posting some resources online at audioboo irregularly so, even if it's a one-way communication you'll be able to hear some na'vi (although it's by no means perfect, my a is often too much like ä and my tx is retroflex not alveolar).
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Muzer

Quote from: kemeoauniaea on June 17, 2010, 03:54:42 PM
Have a look at the project ngaynume board, you can sign up and do audio lessons online so even if you can't meet people in person you should be able to talk to your smuk lena'vi. I'm also going to be starting posting some resources online at audioboo irregularly so, even if it's a one-way communication you'll be able to hear some na'vi (although it's by no means perfect, my a is often too much like ä and my tx is retroflex not alveolar).

Sorry for offtopic, but could you explain retroflex vs alveolar? It is mentioned on Wikipedia but it doesn't say how it's done.
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

kewnya txamew'itan

An alveolar consonant with the tongue at the front of the alveolar ridge (the ridge on the roof of your mouth just behind your teeth) whilst retroflex consonants are formed with the tongue curled back behind that ridge. I think I picked up the bad habit when first learning ejectives as it has a slightly stronger pop than a true tx, I'm trying to train myself to do a true tx but right now I'm having to make do with a postalveolar (a bit further back than a normal alveolar consonant, where the sound "sh" is articulated) ejective.

The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

learnnavi's

txe'lan tírol

Quote from: Muzer on June 17, 2010, 03:54:04 PM
If you have a microphone, I believe you can go onto teamspeak, there is a LN server.

I have a mic but does teamspeak work with Mac OS X?  I would install windows and dual-boot but I don't have the room on my Hard Drive.

txe'lan tírol

Quote from: Muzer on June 17, 2010, 03:56:37 PM
Quote from: kemeoauniaea on June 17, 2010, 03:54:42 PM

Sorry for offtopic, but could you explain retroflex vs alveolar? It is mentioned on Wikipedia but it doesn't say how it's done.

I had a hard time learning to roll my rs also.  One of my friend's wife is a speech pathologist and she told me to push my tong towards the front of my mouth (still keeping the tip limp) and blowing air over the top of my tung.  I wasn't able to get it right away, but I got it with a lot of practice and I can roll my rs whenever I want.

Nyx

Quote from: txe'lan tirol on June 17, 2010, 04:03:05 PM

I have a mic but does teamspeak work with Mac OS X?  I would install windows and dual-boot but I don't have the room on my Hard Drive.

Yep, it works just fine. Go get it! ^^

Edit: There's also a skype chat if you're up for text chatting. Some people do voice chat there too, but it doesn't happen all too often

Tsamsiyu92

Quote from: kemeoauniaea on June 17, 2010, 04:00:55 PM
An alveolar consonant with the tongue at the front of the alveolar ridge (the ridge on the roof of your mouth just behind your teeth) whilst retroflex consonants are formed with the tongue curled back behind that ridge. I think I picked up the bad habit when first learning ejectives as it has a slightly stronger pop than a true tx, I'm trying to train myself to do a true tx but right now I'm having to make do with a postalveolar (a bit further back than a normal alveolar consonant, where the sound "sh" is articulated) ejective.

so retroflex sound like pop corn popping, while alveolar is the right tx?

'Ì'awn Menari

i feel your pain on that one ma tsmuk.  not many of my friends are learning it...and we don't speak it much.  i try to speak it as much i can to nature, and my friends (though they have no idea what i'm saying lol)
Lord and Lady Bless )O(
and before I forget...
Eywa ngahu! =D

txe'lan tírol

Quote from: Nyx on June 17, 2010, 04:09:18 PM
Quote from: txe'lan tirol on June 17, 2010, 04:03:05 PM

I have a mic but does teamspeak work with Mac OS X?  I would install windows and dual-boot but I don't have the room on my Hard Drive.

Yep, it works just fine. Go get it! ^^

Edit: There's also a skype chat if you're up for text chatting. Some people do voice chat there too, but it doesn't happen all too often

Iryao ma smuke!!

I don't have the time to talk now but does anyone want to talk over teamspeak later?

txe'lan tírol

Quote from: Iawn Menari on June 17, 2010, 04:14:25 PM
i feel your pain on that one ma tsmuk.  not many of my friends are learning it...and we don't speak it much.  i try to speak it as much i can to nature, and my friends (though they have no idea what i'm saying lol)

Some of my friends think that it is kind of cool that I am interested in Na'vi, but they have little to no interest in learning it.  I know some other people that think it is just plain weird.

'Ì'awn Menari

Quote from: txe'lan tirol on June 17, 2010, 04:27:03 PM

Some of my friends think that it is kind of cool that I am interested in Na'vi, but they have little to no interest in learning it.  I know some other people that think it is just plain weird.

that about sums it up
Lord and Lady Bless )O(
and before I forget...
Eywa ngahu! =D

Tompa'Ivong

You are alone and you are not alone

Project NgayNume simply stated

"peu to fwa tskxefa ayuti ska'a lu sìltsan? Tskxe a kllkxem ulte fpi nga ayuti ska'a.
—Toggo, goblin weaponsmith

kewnya txamew'itan

Quote from: Tsamsiyu92 on June 17, 2010, 04:13:54 PM

I'm not sure I'd say it sounds like pop corn, but the pop sounds stronger to me, but alveolar is the right one.

learnnavi's

txe'lan tírol

Quote from: Iawn Menari on June 17, 2010, 04:31:16 PM
i feel your pain on that one ma tsmuk.  not many of my friends are learning it...and we don't speak it much.  i try to speak it as much i can to nature, and my friends (though they have no idea what i'm saying lol)

that about sums it up

I think it is sad that people think that someone is strange or weird when they take through interest in something.  especially when those judging your interests have a passion in something and think it is weird that you don't like what they like.

'Ì'awn Menari

Quote from: txe'lan tirol on June 17, 2010, 04:41:22 PM
i feel your pain on that one ma tsmuk.  not many of my friends are learning it...and we don't speak it much.  i try to speak it as much i can to nature, and my friends (though they have no idea what i'm saying lol)

that about sums it up

I think it is sad that people think that someone is strange or weird when they take through interest in something.  especially when those judging your interests have a passion in something and think it is weird that you don't like what they like.

it is sad, however it is a part of life...nothing we can change about it.  all we can do is be ourselves ^_^
Eywa ngahu
Lord and Lady Bless )O(
and before I forget...
Eywa ngahu! =D

txe'lan tírol

Quote from: kemeoauniaea on June 17, 2010, 04:35:18 PM
Quote from: Tsamsiyu92 on June 17, 2010, 04:13:54 PM

I'm not sure I'd say it sounds like pop corn, but the pop sounds stronger to me, but alveolar is the right one.

I don't know if I'm pronouncing these correctly or not but th px is made by building up air behind closed lips and suddenly releasing it (sounds a little like the popping sound of popped corn.
Th kx is made by taking the back of the tongue to the roof of your mouth and building up pressure there and then releasing it by making a small opening between my tongue and roof of the mouth (with mouth slightly open).
The tx is made by pushing the tongue to the front of your mouth with your teeth closed.  this creates a seal and you build up pressure in your mouth and pull your tongue back to release the pressure.

txe'lan tírol

Quote from: Iawn Menari on June 17, 2010, 04:45:54 PM

that about sums it up

it is sad, however it is a part of life...nothing we can change about it.  all we can do is be ourselves ^_^
Eywa ngahu

Eywa ngahu ma smuke

'Ì'awn Menari

Quote from: txe'lan tirol on June 17, 2010, 04:56:11 PM
Quote from: Iawn Menari on June 17, 2010, 04:45:54 PM

that about sums it up

Eywa ngahu

Eywa ngahu ma smuke

tsmuke there is a t like with the japanese pronunciation ^_^
Lord and Lady Bless )O(
and before I forget...
Eywa ngahu! =D