Learning new words

Started by Wushukid, February 07, 2011, 08:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wushukid

Kaltxì ma oeya eylan!!
Oel ayngati kameie!!

I have a problem remembering the words in Na'vi.Maybe since some of the words are hard to pronounce.
Does anyone have tips for me, so that I remember the words?
It would really help me.
Irayo ma frapo!!

keyemave ulte eywa ngahu!! :)

Sireayä mokri

Based on my own experience I can tell you that there's no better way to remember words than to use them in conversation.
When the mirror speaks, the reflection lies.

Maweyatan

Quote from: Wushukid on February 07, 2011, 08:19:28 AM
Kaltxì ma oeyä eylan!!
Oel ayngati kameie!!

I have a problem remembering the words in Na'vi.Maybe since some of the words are hard to pronounce.
Does anyone have tips for me, so that I remember the words?
It would really help me.
Irayo ma frapo!!

kìyevame ulte eywa ngahu!! :)

Errors fixed.

Now for your problem, I'd begin saying the words in place of their English meanings, that way you are using repetition in real life.

Also, there is a project that involves TeamSpeak, in which you learn the language without translating, but rather by use of pictures to convene the meaning. The project is Project NgayNume. I am one of the project's teachers. (I teach GMT -5 (or East Coast of the US))

Other than that, the only advice I can give you is to study a lot and study deeper into the language to fully understand it.

~Maweyatan

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

I would strongly agree with these advices! Practise is indeed certainly the most efficient way to remember and assimilate vocab. :D Don't pick random words from the dictionary and try to learn them in a list - it won't work. Practise is really the best way to learn quickly because, when you do so, you mainly use the words that are useful and meaningful to you, and this greatly facilitates the learning and makes it more useful on a long-term basis. Another nice thing to do would be to try translating short/simple Na'vi sentences (for example from the Na'vi only section of the forum) and note, repeat + put into practise the words that you don't know or understand. These are often also quite important words! :)

Carborundum

If you want to learn a lot of vocab quickly, flashcards is the way to go. I have made an Anki deck which I also maintain, so it is always reasonably up to date. I think there are some jMemorize decks floating around too, not sure how up to date they are though.

However, focusing too heavily on vocabulary is not a good way to learn a language. I suggest you start by studying the grammar, and look up words as you need them. This way you will learn the most important words quickly.
When you reach the point where you know how to construct most sentences, but can't for lack of vocab, that's when you start studying vocab for real.
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Ikran Ahiyìk

Learning grammar without understanding of ANY word would be very boring - you don't know every single word in each example..

I think you should have learnt what alphabets Na'vi have and mostly know how to pronounce them
(for learning any vocabulary - it would be MUCH MORE EASIER to learn if you know what the word sounds).

Then remember at least half of these words first, so that a basic vocabulary base is built in your head and everything will be interesting ...

Try to translate some sentence first. You can post them here wait for corrections and learn from them (or prove yourself that you know everything in the level if no one can find mistakes from you),
or just translate anything in your head.. so that you will at least USE THE LANGUAGE, and everything gets easier after you familiarize them by using.. ;)
Plltxe nìhiyìk na ikran... oe fmeri sìltsan nì'ul slivu, ngaytxoa...

See the new version with fingerings!

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Quote from: Sireayä mokri on February 07, 2011, 08:34:04 AM
Based on my own experience I can tell you that there's no better way to remember words than to use them in conversation.

This!

I couldn't agree more. That's how I built my vocab. I used the few words I knew as much as I could, learning new one's as I went. As everyone has said, don't focus too heavily on learning vocab. It will get boring real fast and it won't help your learning. Also a tip from me: Don't be afraid to try and don't be afraid of being wrong. That is what holds everyone back is that fear of being wrong. I learned most of what I know from being wrong then corrected.

Quote from: Maweyatan on February 07, 2011, 08:43:55 AM
Now for your problem, I'd begin saying the words in place of their English meanings, that way you are using repetition in real life.

Also, there is a project that involves TeamSpeak, in which you learn the language without translating, but rather by use of pictures to convene the meaning. The project is Project NgayNume. I am one of the project's teachers. (I teach GMT -5 (or East Coast of the US))

Other than that, the only advice I can give you is to study a lot and study deeper into the language to fully understand it.

~Maweyatan

I am also one of the teachers from Project NgayNume (GMT-8). I've been with the project since it started on May 21, 2010 and I can tell you from experience that this is a GREAT way to learn the language. I started as a student who knew nothing and in about 8 months of once-weekly classes, I learned so much that I could start teaching. I know 8 months might seem like a long time, but like I said, the classes were only once a week. If you do join PNgN (and I really hope you do) a tip I have for you is to keep practicing outside of class. Use what you know as often as you can...type Facebook statuses in Na'vi! (Seriously...that's how I learned a LOT is by practicing on my FB statuses)

Nivume nìltsan ma oeyä 'eylan
-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Wushukid

Irayo ma frapo!!
These are very useful tips, and i will surely use them all!!!
About the NgayNume project-is there something in GMT+2 or something near it?Does it matter? I mean, can i join not at my GMT?
And is it OK that I start learning there in the middle of year?

Irayo ma frapo
Kìyevame ulte eywa ngahu!! :D

Maweyatan

Quote from: Wushukid on February 07, 2011, 11:37:21 PM
Irayo ma frapo!!
These are very useful tips, and i will surely use them all!!!
About the NgayNume project-is there something in GMT+2 or something near it?Does it matter? I mean, can i join not at my GMT?
And is it OK that I start learning there in the middle of year?

Irayo ma frapo
Kìyevame ulte eywa ngahu!! :D

It doesn't matter what class you join, and it doesn't matter when you join. :)

'Oma Tirea

I'm also here for pronounciation help :)

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!