Main Menu

Let?

Started by Ateyo te Kellett, February 02, 2010, 12:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ateyo te Kellett

is there a word for let? I found the phrase "let na'vi bloom" but it is 'ivong na'vi. 'ong is bloom. so does that mean that 'iv is let?

wm.annis

The English word "let" covers two things.  First, it can mean "allow," as in "will you let me read your poem?"  The other use is to indicate a kind of command or wish, "let it snow, let it snow, let it snow."  The ‹iv› infix can be used for this wishing idea, which we have to translate into English using "let."

Ateyo te Kellett

so. if i want to say "let's go" what would it be?

-I hate to have to learn na'vi through english. it makes everything much harder.

Will Txankamuse

The Na'vi also use the suffix -ko to imply an exclamation of an imperitive wish e.g. Maktoko!  means 'Let's ride!'.  Maktivo using the subjunctive would be less imperative so less of a command and more of a wish.  In the movie, Maktoko is used a lot to just mean 'Let's go!' even though it specifically refers to riding.

In the scene where Jakesully, Tsu'tey and two novice hunters reach the top rock on the way to Ikimaya, and just before Tsu'tey jumps onto the vine, he seems to say 'Kivä ko!' which is the verb Kä (to go) in the subjunctive along with the -ko imperative suffix, so it's possible you can chop and change the two grammatical terms.

Will
Txo ayngal tse'a keyeyit, oeyä txoa livu.  I am learning Na'vi too!
If you see a mistake in my post please correct me!

Please help on the Movie Lines in Na'vi wiki page

wm.annis

Quote from: Will Txankamuse on February 02, 2010, 01:16:01 PM
The Na'vi also use the suffix -ko

It's not a suffix, though, but a separate word.  So, makto ko!.

And ko is less an imperative than a word used to get the person you're talking to to agree with you.  Frommer says (Jan 9), "As for ko, I don't know any Japanese but I did have in mind Mandarin ba, a sentence-final particle glossed by Li and Thompson as "solicit agreement." Typical translations of ba are: "Don't you think so?" "Wouldn't you agree?" "Let's . . ." "Why don't you . . ." "I'll do X, OK?" I've used ko for all such things, maybe a bit more widely than ba."

Makto ko!

My name is the meaning of Makto ko, it being that in the first place.. I beleive it means:

Makto <-ko>
Ride, agree?
Or Let's ride!

If anyone wishes to add trillinear gloss, I can't do it so you are more than welcome. If so I will edit.

Eywa ayngahu, ma smuktu!
old gallery link?id=470[/img]
~~

Project Neytiri: Join the movement here!
Are you a beginner? Then this document might help you to understand! (document by MIPP)