Na'vi Language question

Started by Cournal, January 04, 2010, 11:01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cournal

I am very interisted in learning Na'vi. I have just learned the pronunciation of the alphabet and starting on learning the grammar.  But before I get more into the language I need to know if this will eventually become a full language, or is it going to stay a "Part Language". I mean is there going to be more added onto Na'vi then already is?

Irayo

Plumps

There is a lively discussion about that.
Have a look here: http://forum.learnnavi.org/index.php?topic=683.0

I guess, if we want to stay within canon we have to wait until Prof Frommer is allowed by FOX to print/publish something - I'm not familiar with the American legal systems but other people commented on that here and there in the forum.

Keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best ;)

Doolio

also, i think that frommer said once that he is contract-bound to make full functionig language.
what he said for sure, in one of his general email responses, is that the right holders (fox, cameron) are aware of ongrowing community and that they are in the process of discussing the release of learning book or something like that. with an emphasis on 'discussing', not on 'release' sadly:)
...taj rad...

Mako

Quote from: Doolio on January 04, 2010, 11:17:14 AM
also, i think that frommer said once that he is contract-bound to make full functionig language.
what he said for sure, in one of his general email responses, is that the right holders (fox, cameron) are aware of ongrowing community and that they are in the process of discussing the release of learning book or something like that. with an emphasis on 'discussing', not on 'release' sadly:)

Just a bit. But this language doesn't need Frommer to grow, and he knows that. I've read several interviews with him, and he said that the fans are going to contribute to this language than he is most likely.

Doolio

maybe in the terms of advertising:)
but we still need him for full grammar and vocab, i mean, we could guess, we could construct, but there are a bunch of things there are different opinions about, we simply need the clarifications from an authority (and frommer is the only authority at the moment).
...taj rad...

Mako

Quote from: Doolio on January 04, 2010, 11:28:43 AM
maybe in the terms of advertising:)
but we still need him for full grammar and vocab, i mean, we could guess, we could construct, but there are a bunch of things there are different opinions about, we simply need the clarifications from an authority (and frommer is the only authority at the moment).

*sigh* That's true. I hope this goes somewhere, Na'vi is such a beautifully spoken language.

Plumps

I'd like to remind us all that those things need time.
Sure we're all impatient and want to learn more (hopefully all of the grammar and as many words as Prof Frommer can give) but reading through the comments about the Avatar Guide and other book-related issues it seems that the merchandise for that was put together too quickly.
What use can it be for us if we actually had official learning material (let's say within 2 months or so) in which every other sentence has a mistake because the people involved were not the right ones for it.
I'd rather wait a while longer to have something in my hands I can rely on than having a quick mash-up which is not going to satisfy my questions.
Don't you feel the same way?

Mako

Enh. +1 That's true. I would rather quality over quantity any day.

Cournal

Thanks very much for the information. From what I have read it will be a complete language in which I will continue my attempt on learning Na'vi.

Mako

Good. Kìyeváme. If you have any further questions, come find me. I'll be happy to help.