Na'vi names

Started by Txep, December 23, 2009, 11:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsyeymzi

I can't think of a damn name. :(
- The Signature is a Lie -

Maktoyu Palulukanyä

As I was going to sleep last night I wondered sort of the same thing about my proposed name.  It sounds a very un-Na'vi thing to say.  How about a revised version:

maktoyu palulukanyä

That sounds like a name a Na'vi would be more proud of than tspangyu ...

Vsspan

My real name is Vadim, it's obsolete word, almost untranslatable. Closest version is "Person, who likes to argue". Maybe "debater" or even "trouble-maker" :)

How to translate my name (+-) to Na'vi?

Tsyeymzi

Well, I think I have one:

Atan tsamsiyu

I'm probably (certainly) WAY off there, I want to convey "Warrior of the light", what am I missing?
- The Signature is a Lie -

Txon'itan

Question, my name IRl means "Honored by God" so I was thinking of maybe "Honored by Eywa" but I have no idea how to make a noun into a verb for the conjugation. Can anyone help?

'Itan Eywayä

i have looked around in the various sub-boards but i could not find this question, though i am sure it hides somewhere -.-
still i would like to try my luck here as this topic seems to fit most:

i was wondering what the expression in Na'vi is for "i am called" or "my name is".
is the only way to say it

Oe lu
I   be
I am
?

Irayo ^^

Doolio

i think that would be a fair guess. maybe also something like this:

ayoeng-il oe-t syaw Doolio - we (inclusive) call me Doolio.
...taj rad...

Ftiafpi

Perhaps another one would be:

S<ol>yaw [name] oe lu
Called [name] I am
I am called [name]

but I've been told this is probably incorrect. It seems the best way is:

Oe lu [name]
I am [name]

Doolio

yes, it makes the most sense. i mean, it is a simple phrase used in majority of languages as it is.
...taj rad...

'Itan Eywayä

Quoteayoeng-il oe-t syaw Doolio - we (inclusive) call me Doolio.
This actually makes sense, even though i suppose most people will indeed stick to "Oe lu"

Thank you a lot for the input though

Irayo ;D

'Itan Eywayä

One thing troubles me still, if somebody could lend me a hand with this
If you use "Oe lu" to introduce yourself, as in "Oe lu [name]", it seems very fine, but what if you have a name like, well mine ;o
By saying "Oe lu 'itan eywayä" - couldn't this mean both "I am 'Son of Eywa'" (as a name) and "I am *a* son of eywa" ?
Since i could not find any examples of articles (like "a" or "the"), is there any grammatical method to distinguish those two options?

Irayo nìmun ;)

täftxuyu

Quote from: 'Itan Eywayä on December 30, 2009, 01:47:05 PM
If you use "Oe lu" to introduce yourself, as in "Oe lu [name]", it seems very fine, but what if you have a name like, well mine ;o
By saying "Oe lu 'itan eywayä" - couldn't this mean both "I am 'Son of Eywa'" (as a name) and "I am *a* son of eywa" ?
Since i could not find any examples of articles (like "a" or "the"), is there any grammatical method to distinguish those two options?

Irayo nìmun ;)

I think it is inferred, as Na'vi does not have anything like 'a' or 'the'.  Though your name might work something like Toruk'Makto...it's more of a title.
Oel Nìwina numeyu.

Doolio

Quote from: Doolio on December 28, 2009, 05:51:22 PM
okay, my name is Dusan. in serbian, 'dusa' means 'soul'. '-n' in this case represents the suffix for making the noun into the adjective. so, dusan means something like 'soulful' or 'soully' or even maybe 'soul-like':)

it seems that we do not have the na'vi word for 'soul' yet, the closest i could find was 'tirea' (spirit).

so, my name would translate to something like 'Atirea' or 'Tireaa'? i think i got it correct, although i am pretty new at this, so i am not very sure about it, also, does it matter that there is no noun that is affected?

oops, that was just plain wrong:)

in the meantime, i have realized that you build an adjective from a noun by adding the 'le-' prefix to it.

so, my name would be something like 'letirea'
...taj rad...

Le'tutean

Kaltxì, Aysmukan

My name is Andrew (Andrzej in polish), from greek it means "strong" or "manly"

Strong in Na'vi is Txur, but it doesn't sound too good as a name.
Closest I could get to "manly" is Nitutean

Tute - person
-an suffix - to make it into male form (man)
Ni- prefix - to make it manly

Hope it works about right.... what do you thing of this name Nitutean ??

Eywa ngahu

Doolio

imho, it makes more sense if you make it adjective instead of adverb.

letutean?:)

because it is not as in 'he did that manly', but more like 'he is manly'. it describes a person, not one's actions.

my 2c :)

or if you give it more freedom it could be some combination, like 'letuteanatxur'.
tutean a-txur - strong man, put it together in one word - tuteanatxur, then add a 'le-' prefix - letuteanatxur.
...taj rad...

The old Uriuujìn

Quote from: 'Itan Eywayä on December 30, 2009, 01:47:05 PM

Irayo nìmun ;)

In the Na'vi language, there is no "the" or "a" particles. This can be found on the Learn Navi main page under grammar. If I were you, I would say that I am called 'Son of Eywa' instead of just saying that you are to clear up any confusion. It's longer, but better understood that way ^_^
Goody luck. Eywa ngahu,
Quote from: Doval on December 30, 2009, 08:04:23 AM
As I was going to sleep last night I wondered sort of the same thing about my proposed name.  It sounds a very un-Na'vi thing to say.  How about a revised version:

maktoyu palulukanyä

That sounds like a name a Na'vi would be more proud of than tspangyu ...

I agree with you. I like that name as well ^_^ good work, Tsmukan. Eywa ngahu.

Quote from: Andrew on December 30, 2009, 04:49:48 PM
Kaltxì, Aysmukan

My name is Andrew (Andrzej in polish), from greek it means "strong" or "manly"

Strong in Na'vi is Txur, but it doesn't sound too good as a name.
Closest I could get to "manly" is Nitutean

Tute - person
-an suffix - to make it into male form (man)
Ni- prefix - to make it manly

Hope it works about right.... what do you thing of this name Nitutean ??

Eywa ngahu

It is a good name. Remember, though, that there is also a word for mighty, fke, which would become Nì-fke or         Nì-fke'awpoan, adding the word for one in reference to a person and the male suffix -an, making it "mighty one" with a male attatchment.

Your previous name is good as well. ^_^ good luck, tsmukan. Eywa ngahu.

-Uriuujìn

-Uriuujìn

Lukerin

IF you wanted a name like future seer, would it be kayame?

Tìsyaw Nantangä

Changed my name from Nantangä Syaw to Nantangä Tìsyaw since I just discovered that syaw is the verb for call, not the noun. Hooray for learning!
Mì saw, kawtul tsun stivawm ngayä ayzawngit.

'Itan Eywayä

QuoteIn the Na'vi language, there is no "the" or "a" particles. This can be found on the Learn Navi main page under grammar. If I were you, I would say that I am called 'Son of Eywa' instead of just saying that you are to clear up any confusion. It's longer, but better understood that way ^_^
Goody luck. Eywa ngahu,

So you recommend using:

Solyaw 'itan eywayä oe lu
called   son  eywa<gen> i be
I am called Son of Eywa

Due to the "freedom" of na'vi, i could transform that into
Oe lu solyaw 'itan eywayä

correct?

Irayo nìmun ;)

The old Uriuujìn

Quote from: 'Itan Eywayä on December 30, 2009, 08:07:05 PM

Due to the "freedom" of na'vi, i could transform that into