Author Topic: Na'vi names  (Read 64197 times)

Offline Tanhì'itan

• Uniltìranyu
  • Leader of the Ikran Tribe of the Eastern Sea
Re: Na'vi names
« Reply #120 on: December 30, 2009, 09:35:54 pm »
I used an alias of mine, translated (hopefully correctly) into Na'vi. It means "Daughter of the Stars" in its parent language, so I thought combining "Tanhì" (star) and "'ite" (daughter) would accomplish the same effect: "Tanhì'ite" (Star Daughter).

However, what I'm not sure about is if I should have denoted possession -- something akin to "of" in the English translation. I couldn't find anything to suit that purpose, and wasn't sure if it was even necessary. Any thoughts or corrections?

Nga lu oeyä tsmuké.
You are my sister.

My name in real life however does not mean "Son of Star" but instead "Light Bringer". I based my name on my life's motto "Surpass the Stars." Point is, we ended at a similar destination.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 10:20:08 pm by Tanhì'itan »

Ikran Tribe

Ma Tsmuke: Tanhì'ite
*Loves the Sea Clan Leader from movie.

Offline Tanhì'ite

• Ketuwong
« Reply #121 on: December 30, 2009, 11:24:40 pm »
I used an alias of mine, translated (hopefully correctly) into Na'vi. It means "Daughter of the Stars" in its parent language, so I thought combining "Tanhì" (star) and "'ite" (daughter) would accomplish the same effect: "Tanhì'ite" (Star Daughter).

However, what I'm not sure about is if I should have denoted possession -- something akin to "of" in the English translation. I couldn't find anything to suit that purpose, and wasn't sure if it was even necessary. Any thoughts or corrections?

Nga lu oeyä tsmuké.
You are my sister.

My name in real life however does not mean "Son of Star" but instead "Light Bringer". I based my name on my life's motto "Surpass the Stars." Point is, we ended at a similar destination.  ;D

Oel ngati kameie tsmukan
I see you brother

Crazy, we both chose such similar names. I like them. Hopefully we can help each other out as we learn.

ma tsmukan : Tanhì'itan

Offline bagget00

• Ikran Makto
  • 'Awpo pesu nume
« Reply #122 on: December 30, 2009, 11:42:31 pm »
I want to name myself person who learns. I already know that tu is person and nume is is learn. How do I fit who in there and how do i make nume plural as in learns?
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

"Latin and Zombies. Technically dead, but still influencing society."

Author of http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-fanfiction/displayed/

Offline bagget00

• Ikran Makto
  • 'Awpo pesu nume
« Reply #123 on: December 30, 2009, 11:54:28 pm »
so if i put in tu peru nume, would that be right or would it be something else? I'm trying to find the plural for of learns but the example for taron lists it as both singular and plural for the same word. Plus would I space it differently or make it one long word for it to be a name and do I have to change it to a noun form with anything else? I'm just learning the language, hence the name and also why I can't quite find the right way to put my name together.
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

Offline The old Uriuujìn

• Taronyu
« Reply #124 on: December 31, 2009, 12:28:19 am »
so if i put in tu peru nume, would that be right or would it be something else? I'm trying to find the plural for of learns but the example for taron lists it as both singular and plural for the same word. Plus would I space it differently or make it one long word for it to be a name and do I have to change it to a noun form with anything else? I'm just learning the language, hence the name and also why I can't quite find the right way to put my name together.

First, do not double post, if you could.
Second, there are a few options that you could choose:
Nume-yu, which is simply Learner
Or
Poan pesu nume, which is "person-(male) who learns," pesu being what I think you meant in your previous post instead of peru
or
there is 'Awpo pesu nume, which is "One who learns"

Are any of these helpful, tsmukan? Good luck on choosing your name!
Eywa ngahu

-Uriuujìn

Offline bagget00

• Ikran Makto
  • 'Awpo pesu nume
« Reply #125 on: December 31, 2009, 12:37:33 am »
All of those are quite helpful thank you. I bilieve I will go with the last one. "One who learns". Do the words fit together to form one word or remain seperate? In the movie, they changed his name to Jakesully in the Na'vi language. Also, how did you come up with the right addons to maker them fit together. That's what I've been having trouble with.

Sorry for double posting. Sometimes I forget about the edit button.

Irayo. Eywa ngahu
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 12:41:53 am by bagget00 »

Offline Tanhì'itan

• Uniltìranyu
  • Leader of the Ikran Tribe of the Eastern Sea
« Reply #126 on: December 31, 2009, 01:00:34 am »

Nga lu oeyä tsmuké.
You are my sister.

Oel ngati kameie tsmukan
I see you brother

Crazy, we both chose such similar names. I like them. Hopefully we can help each other out as we learn.

*Puts you in signature* We shall learn together.  = ]

Ikran Tribe

Ma Tsmuke: Tanhì'ite
*Loves the Sea Clan Leader from movie.

Offline Brainiac

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Palulukan Makto
  • Before me things created were none.
« Reply #127 on: December 31, 2009, 01:32:44 am »

Nga lu oeyä tsmuké.
You are my sister.

Oel ngati kameie tsmukan
I see you brother

And confusing, it shall be ;D
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

Offline Tanhì'ite

• Ketuwong
« Reply #128 on: December 31, 2009, 11:48:38 am »

Nga lu oeyä tsmuké.
You are my sister.

Oel ngati kameie tsmukan
I see you brother

Likewise! I can't wait!

ma tsmukan : Tanhì'itan

Offline Kifkeyit ftiayu

• Ikran Makto
  • Furry for ever!
« Reply #129 on: December 31, 2009, 12:51:54 pm »
Kaltxì ma smuktu!

I've at last chosen a Na'vi name. Since I'm a student in physics, I've chosen "the one who studies the world". So, "Kifkey-it ftia-yu".

Offline Txon'itan

• Ketuwong
« Reply #130 on: December 31, 2009, 01:09:32 pm »
fpom, oeyä aysmuktu.
 Decided on a na'vi name, went with "Night Son" or "Son of the Night". Born from one of my motto's, "Strike from the Shadows"

Offline Naki'Malis

• Ketuwong
  • Oel tierng mikyunti
« Reply #131 on: December 31, 2009, 01:25:02 pm »
Kaltxi, eywayä ayevengti.
Hello Eywa's Children

So iv'e though the name,
Oe tierng mikyun I am listening
Would be fitting to use for me, (always listening :) )

Of course i'm trying to figure out if that's the proper way to say it..
Always listening, always learning.

Offline Txon Tompa

• Tawtute
« Reply #132 on: December 31, 2009, 01:29:17 pm »
Hello Eywa's Children

So iv'e though the name,

thats a beautiful name, it sound nice to
oel ngati kameie

Offline The old Uriuujìn

• Taronyu
« Reply #133 on: December 31, 2009, 03:43:56 pm »
Hello Eywa's Children

So iv'e though the name,

I am in agreement... though to be grammatically correct, it should be Oe lu tì<er>ng mikyun

^_^ otherwise, excellent, tsmuktu!
Eywa ngahu!

-Uriuujìn

Offline Txon Tompa

• Tawtute
« Reply #134 on: December 31, 2009, 03:48:09 pm »
i think my name sound very noble (outloud)

Txon Tompa
oel ngati kameie

Offline Doolio

• Tute
« Reply #135 on: December 31, 2009, 04:02:56 pm »
Hello Eywa's Children

So iv'e though the name,

I am in agreement... though to be grammatically correct, it should be Oe lu tì<er>ng mikyun

Eywa ngahu!

-Uriuujìn

actually, it goes like 'oe-l t<er>ing mikyun-it'. you are giving the ear, ear is the direct object of a transitive verb so, ergative and accusative are used.
if we treat 'ting mikyun' as an unbreakable whole, maybe it would be something like 'oe tering mikyun'. but i am pretty sure it goes 'iel tering mikyunit'.

na'vi is not english and continuous tense is not built with the help of the verb 'to be' (so no 'lu'). also, you should put the tense infix after the consonant in the penultimate syllable, which, in case of words that have two syllables, like 'ting', is the first syllable, so t-er-ing.
...taj rad...

Offline The old Uriuujìn

• Taronyu
« Reply #136 on: December 31, 2009, 04:16:16 pm »
Hello Eywa's Children

So iv'e though the name,

Eywa ngahu!

-Uriuujìn

actually, it goes like 'oe-l t<er>ing mikyun-it'. you are giving the ear, ear is the direct object of a transitive verb so, ergative and accusative are used.
if we treat 'ting mikyun' as an unbreakable whole, maybe it would be something like 'oe tering mikyun'. but i am pretty sure it goes 'iel tering mikyunit'.

na'vi is not english and continuous tense is not built with the help of the verb 'to be' (so no 'lu'). also, you should put the tense infix after the consonant in the penultimate syllable, which, in case of words that have two syllables, like 'ting', is the first syllable, so t-er-ing.

Oe-l nga-yä ral-ti kame. I see your point/ what you mean.

I am not sure if I am in agreement, however. Not in all instances, but your theory is sound as well. We'll have to get someone a lot more experienced than me to look at it ^_^; I am still ftia-yu, a student.

-Uriuujìn

Offline Na'ring Tirea

• Ketuwong
« Reply #137 on: December 31, 2009, 05:13:28 pm »
For my first post I seek a name. I am 100% new to Na'vi with only browsing the PDFs from the download section. My nickname in certain circles is Monkey, was wanting to try and translate that but looks to be no word for it yet. So I was thinking maybe the phrase "Man of the Wild" or "Wild Man"... kinda fits the Monkey nickname. Any ideas to get me going would be great, I will spend the night looking through those downloads.

Offline Txon'itan

• Ketuwong
« Reply #138 on: December 31, 2009, 05:22:03 pm »
For my first post I seek a name. I am 100% new to Na'vi with only browsing the PDFs from the download section. My nickname in certain circles is Monkey, was wanting to try and translate that but looks to be no word for it yet. So I was thinking maybe the phrase "Man of the Wild" or "Wild Man"... kinda fits the Monkey nickname. Any ideas to get me going would be great, I will spend the night looking through those downloads.

I don't know the word for wild, but you could use na'rìng which means forest and combine it with man which is tutean. To make Na'rìng Tutean, forest man

Offline bagget00

• Ikran Makto
  • 'Awpo pesu nume
« Reply #139 on: December 31, 2009, 05:23:44 pm »
maybe you could take the name of that six armed monkey thing at the begining of the the movie. the Prolemuris http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Prolemuris
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 05:25:30 pm by bagget00 »

Become LearnNavi's friend on Facebook Follow LearnNavi on Twitter! Watch LearnNavi's videos on YouTube

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Privacy Policy
| XHTML | RSS | WAP2 | Site Rules

LearnNavi is not affiliated with the official Avatar website,
James Cameron, LightStorm Entertainment or The Walt Disney Company.
All trademarks and servicemarks are the properties of their respective owners.
Images in the LearnNavi.org Forums and Gallery may not be used without permission.

LearnNavi Affiliates:
ToS

LearnNavi is the community to learn Na'vi, the Avatar Language
"A place where real friendships are made." -Paul Frommer

AvatarMeet | Learn Na'vi Forum | Learn Na'vi Wiki | Na'viteri

LearnNavi