Na'vi names

Started by Txep, December 23, 2009, 11:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanhì'itan

Quote from: Tanhì'ite on December 29, 2009, 08:21:14 PM
I used an alias of mine, translated (hopefully correctly) into Na'vi. It means "Daughter of the Stars" in its parent language, so I thought combining "Tanhì" (star) and "'ite" (daughter) would accomplish the same effect: "Tanhì'ite" (Star Daughter).

However, what I'm not sure about is if I should have denoted possession -- something akin to "of" in the English translation. I couldn't find anything to suit that purpose, and wasn't sure if it was even necessary. Any thoughts or corrections?

Nga lu oeyä tsmuké.
You are my sister.

My name in real life however does not mean "Son of Star" but instead "Light Bringer". I based my name on my life's motto "Surpass the Stars." Point is, we ended at a similar destination.  ;D

Ikran Tribe

Ma Tsmuke: Tanhì'ite
*Loves the Sea Clan Leader from movie.

Tanhì'ite

Quote from: Tanhì'itan on December 30, 2009, 09:35:54 PM
I used an alias of mine, translated (hopefully correctly) into Na'vi. It means "Daughter of the Stars" in its parent language, so I thought combining "Tanhì" (star) and "'ite" (daughter) would accomplish the same effect: "Tanhì'ite" (Star Daughter).

However, what I'm not sure about is if I should have denoted possession -- something akin to "of" in the English translation. I couldn't find anything to suit that purpose, and wasn't sure if it was even necessary. Any thoughts or corrections?

Nga lu oeyä tsmuké.
You are my sister.

My name in real life however does not mean "Son of Star" but instead "Light Bringer". I based my name on my life's motto "Surpass the Stars." Point is, we ended at a similar destination.  ;D

Oel ngati kameie tsmukan
I see you brother

Crazy, we both chose such similar names. I like them. Hopefully we can help each other out as we learn.

ma tsmukan : Tanhì'itan

bagget00

I want to name myself person who learns. I already know that tu is person and nume is is learn. How do I fit who in there and how do i make nume plural as in learns?
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

"Latin and Zombies. Technically dead, but still influencing society."

Author of http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-fanfiction/displayed/

bagget00

so if i put in tu peru nume, would that be right or would it be something else? I'm trying to find the plural for of learns but the example for taron lists it as both singular and plural for the same word. Plus would I space it differently or make it one long word for it to be a name and do I have to change it to a noun form with anything else? I'm just learning the language, hence the name and also why I can't quite find the right way to put my name together.
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

The old Uriuujìn

Quote from: bagget00 on December 30, 2009, 11:54:28 PM
so if i put in tu peru nume, would that be right or would it be something else? I'm trying to find the plural for of learns but the example for taron lists it as both singular and plural for the same word. Plus would I space it differently or make it one long word for it to be a name and do I have to change it to a noun form with anything else? I'm just learning the language, hence the name and also why I can't quite find the right way to put my name together.

First, do not double post, if you could.
Second, there are a few options that you could choose:
Nume-yu, which is simply Learner
Or
Poan pesu nume, which is "person-(male) who learns," pesu being what I think you meant in your previous post instead of peru
or
there is 'Awpo pesu nume, which is "One who learns"

Are any of these helpful, tsmukan? Good luck on choosing your name!
Eywa ngahu

-Uriuujìn

bagget00

All of those are quite helpful thank you. I bilieve I will go with the last one. "One who learns". Do the words fit together to form one word or remain seperate? In the movie, they changed his name to Jakesully in the Na'vi language. Also, how did you come up with the right addons to maker them fit together. That's what I've been having trouble with.

Sorry for double posting. Sometimes I forget about the edit button.

Irayo. Eywa ngahu

Tanhì'itan

Quote from: Tanhì'ite on December 30, 2009, 11:24:40 PM

Nga lu oeyä tsmuké.
You are my sister.

Oel ngati kameie tsmukan
I see you brother

Crazy, we both chose such similar names. I like them. Hopefully we can help each other out as we learn.

*Puts you in signature* We shall learn together.  = ]

Ikran Tribe

Ma Tsmuke: Tanhì'ite
*Loves the Sea Clan Leader from movie.

Brainiac

Quote from: Tanhì'itan on December 31, 2009, 01:00:34 AM

Nga lu oeyä tsmuké.
You are my sister.

Oel ngati kameie tsmukan
I see you brother

And confusing, it shall be ;D
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

Tanhì'ite

Quote from: Tanhì'itan on December 31, 2009, 01:00:34 AM

Nga lu oeyä tsmuké.
You are my sister.

Oel ngati kameie tsmukan
I see you brother

Likewise! I can't wait!

ma tsmukan : Tanhì'itan

Kifkeyit ftiayu

Kaltxì ma smuktu!

I've at last chosen a Na'vi name. Since I'm a student in physics, I've chosen "the one who studies the world". So, "Kifkey-it ftia-yu".

Txon'itan

fpom, oeyä aysmuktu.
Decided on a na'vi name, went with "Night Son" or "Son of the Night". Born from one of my motto's, "Strike from the Shadows"

Naki'Malis

Kaltxi, eywayä ayevengti.
Hello Eywa's Children

So iv'e though the name,
Oe tierng mikyun I am listening
Would be fitting to use for me, (always listening :) )

Of course i'm trying to figure out if that's the proper way to say it..
Always listening, always learning.

Txon Tompa

Quote from: Oe tierng mikyun on December 31, 2009, 01:25:02 PM
Hello Eywa's Children

So iv'e though the name,

thats a beautiful name, it sound nice to
oel ngati kameie

The old Uriuujìn

Quote from: Txon Tompa on December 31, 2009, 01:29:17 PM
Hello Eywa's Children

So iv'e though the name,

I am in agreement... though to be grammatically correct, it should be Oe lu tì<er>ng mikyun

^_^ otherwise, excellent, tsmuktu!
Eywa ngahu!

-Uriuujìn

Txon Tompa

i think my name sound very noble (outloud)

Txon Tompa
oel ngati kameie

Doolio

Quote from: Uriuujìn on December 31, 2009, 03:43:56 PM
Hello Eywa's Children

So iv'e though the name,

I am in agreement... though to be grammatically correct, it should be Oe lu tì<er>ng mikyun

Eywa ngahu!

-Uriuujìn

actually, it goes like 'oe-l t<er>ing mikyun-it'. you are giving the ear, ear is the direct object of a transitive verb so, ergative and accusative are used.
if we treat 'ting mikyun' as an unbreakable whole, maybe it would be something like 'oe tering mikyun'. but i am pretty sure it goes 'iel tering mikyunit'.

na'vi is not english and continuous tense is not built with the help of the verb 'to be' (so no 'lu'). also, you should put the tense infix after the consonant in the penultimate syllable, which, in case of words that have two syllables, like 'ting', is the first syllable, so t-er-ing.
...taj rad...

The old Uriuujìn

Quote from: Doolio on December 31, 2009, 04:02:56 PM
Quote from: Uriuujìn on December 31, 2009, 03:43:56 PM
Hello Eywa's Children

So iv'e though the name,

Eywa ngahu!

-Uriuujìn

actually, it goes like 'oe-l t<er>ing mikyun-it'. you are giving the ear, ear is the direct object of a transitive verb so, ergative and accusative are used.
if we treat 'ting mikyun' as an unbreakable whole, maybe it would be something like 'oe tering mikyun'. but i am pretty sure it goes 'iel tering mikyunit'.

na'vi is not english and continuous tense is not built with the help of the verb 'to be' (so no 'lu'). also, you should put the tense infix after the consonant in the penultimate syllable, which, in case of words that have two syllables, like 'ting', is the first syllable, so t-er-ing.

Oe-l nga-yä ral-ti kame. I see your point/ what you mean.

I am not sure if I am in agreement, however. Not in all instances, but your theory is sound as well. We'll have to get someone a lot more experienced than me to look at it ^_^; I am still ftia-yu, a student.

-Uriuujìn

Na'ring Tirea

For my first post I seek a name. I am 100% new to Na'vi with only browsing the PDFs from the download section. My nickname in certain circles is Monkey, was wanting to try and translate that but looks to be no word for it yet. So I was thinking maybe the phrase "Man of the Wild" or "Wild Man"... kinda fits the Monkey nickname. Any ideas to get me going would be great, I will spend the night looking through those downloads.

Txon'itan

Quote from: Monkey on December 31, 2009, 05:13:28 PM
For my first post I seek a name. I am 100% new to Na'vi with only browsing the PDFs from the download section. My nickname in certain circles is Monkey, was wanting to try and translate that but looks to be no word for it yet. So I was thinking maybe the phrase "Man of the Wild" or "Wild Man"... kinda fits the Monkey nickname. Any ideas to get me going would be great, I will spend the night looking through those downloads.

I don't know the word for wild, but you could use na'rìng which means forest and combine it with man which is tutean. To make Na'rìng Tutean, forest man

bagget00

maybe you could take the name of that six armed monkey thing at the begining of the the movie. the Prolemuris http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Prolemuris