Na'vi names

Started by Txep, December 23, 2009, 11:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: bimap on August 10, 2011, 10:14:05 PM
I'm just so in love with the Thanator so I decided to pick it! Unfortunately it means "super member" here! Hrh  ;D

Despite all the simple ones already having been taken (why didn't I sign up in December 2009??  :( ), there are still lots of creative things you can do with Palulukan If you love thanators, how about yawnelu falulukan. Being a name, you can get away with some things that are 'gray areas' gramatically and/or syntactically. (This should at least get some ideas going!)

My `Rrtan name is real problem. 'Tim' translates to tìm, which means 'low'. or 'many butts'. 'Stoffel' in the original Prussian, means 'dumbhead or lout', so you end up with 'Moronic rear end'. ('Tim' is actually Greek in origin and means 'honoring God'.) Thus, I doubt you will ever see a transliteration of my 'Rrtan name here! (I work with `Rrtan falulukan (lions, tigers, etc.) and many of them have chosen me as a friend, thus the Na`vi name.)

One of the highlights of the recent Seattle Na`vi speakers' meetup for me, was helping a few people who were totally unfamiliar with the workings of the Na`vi language to choose a Na`vi name for a name badge. That would have been something I would have enjoyed doing all day!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Maria TunVrrtep

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on August 10, 2011, 03:06:24 PM

And Puvomun, if the tails do get tangled, are they tied in a knot`vi:D

It's TOO early for bad puns!!!

"Ke'u ke lu law a krr frakem tsunslu." -
    Margaret Drabble
("When nothing is sure, everything is possible.")

Maria TunVrrtep

So everyone knows, some of us have simply written our names in a Na'vi way.

Mine turned out to have 2 different possibilities.
Maria
Mrria

I liked both and still waver between them.
So Thomas - I'm seeing something starting with a Tx because of the hard T sound at the beginning.  Txamäs?  Has the right sound from the pronunciation of the English name.
    Margaret Drabble

Tirea Aean

words and syllables cannot end in s, z, f, v, h.... see  http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=1977

Maria TunVrrtep

I forgot about that.  K is also one of them if I remember correctly.
So how about Txamäsì?
    Margaret Drabble

Tirea Aean

:-*
Quote from: Maria TunVrrtep on August 11, 2011, 09:43:56 AM
I forgot about that.  K is also one of them if I remember correctly.
So how about Txamäsì?

nah, you can end words/syllables with k. we have plenty of examples in the lexicon ;)

Txamäsì? :D nice. though I gotta ask outta curiosity, what accent of someone speaking English was this one derived from? or is it that you like ejectives, ä and ì :P that can work, though for me, I would (again, just me and my region, most likely) say it as Tamìsì, and I have a feeling that Tomasì would work too. many many different twists on this could work in that regard. ;)

Maria TunVrrtep

Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 11, 2011, 06:54:22 PM
:-*
Quote from: Maria TunVrrtep on August 11, 2011, 09:43:56 AM
I forgot about that.  K is also one of them if I remember correctly.
So how about Txamäsì?

nah, you can end words/syllables with k. we have plenty of examples in the lexicon ;)

Txamäsì? :D nice. though I gotta ask outta curiosity, what accent of someone speaking English was this one derived from? or is it that you like ejectives, ä and ì :P that can work, though for me, I would (again, just me and my region, most likely) say it as Tamìsì, and I have a feeling that Tomasì would work too. many many different twists on this could work in that regard. ;)

HRH I'm from Philadelphia.  When I say the name Thomas, it sounds phonetically like Tahh-maahs (with a really strong T sound at the beginning).  Guess I'm just making it sound phonetically like I would say it.
    Margaret Drabble

Tirea Aean

and that's cool :D I figured that would be the reason. I like such regional differences. the same when I hear North Americans speak Na'vi and then Europeans speak Na'vi. it's really interesting. :) So on a more on-topic note, Thomas, what would you have your name be? You of course are the one who has to choose and post by it. :) What do you think?

'Oma Tirea

...and I have a feeling that Tomasì would work too.

I favor this.  Either that or Txomasì.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Kamean

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on August 12, 2011, 12:43:30 AM
...and I have a feeling that Tomasì would work too.

I favor this.  Either that or Txomasì.

And I. :)
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Another suggestion would be to use a version of your name from its original Aramaic, תָּאוֹמָא  which works out (more or less) to Ta'oma' (note the two glottal stops). An alternate form was given as T`om'a. The first form, just as it sits, is a legal Na`vi word. I personally think this is a beautiful word, and would make a very good name.

Yawey ngahu!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on August 12, 2011, 11:53:16 PM
Another suggestion would be to use a version of your name from its original Aramaic, תָּאוֹמָא  which works out (more or less) to Ta'oma' (note the two glottal stops). An alternate form was given as T`om'a. The first form, just as it sits, is a legal Na`vi word. I personally think this is a beautiful word, and would make a very good name.
Ta'oma' is fine, T'om'a in Na'vi, phonetically, is not, T does not start consonant clusters, only f, ts, and s can do that. ;)

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 13, 2011, 12:01:12 AM
Ta'oma' is fine, T'om'a in Na'vi, phonetically, is not, T does not start consonant clusters, only f, ts, and s can do that. ;)

How about Txoma' as an alternative to Ta'oma' then?

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Yawne Zize’ite

Are you sure those are glottal stops and not matres lectionis? I don't know much about Aramaic, but I do recall that Syriac is full of final alephs used as matres lectionis for -ā.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Yawne Zize'ite on August 13, 2011, 12:44:34 AM
Are you sure those are glottal stops and not matres lectionis? I don't know much about Aramaic, but I do recall that Syriac is full of final alephs used as matres lectionis for -ā.

The vowel point under the mem is the same as the vowel point under the tav, so you may be right. Omitting the final glottal stop in a Na`vi name would be the name-choosers choice; it certainly is legal there.

Ma Oma Tirea, I like Txoma' as well, but Ta'oma' seems a little more exotic, and perhaps slightly easier to pronounce. In any case, lots of options here to choose from.

Yawey ngahu!