Na'vi names

Started by Txep, December 23, 2009, 11:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

Quote from: Tengfya swizaw on January 01, 2010, 12:03:22 AM
And Learning Na'vi isn't too hard once you get to know your grammar and vocab well.
You seem to know it pretty well. Just out of curiosity, did my reply come out ok? I'm still learning some of the basics, but so far it seems pretty easy to just pick up and run with.

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
"Better to have fought and died then never to have fought at all"
-----------
Bionic Arms and Pandora, The most read FanFic on Learnnavi.org! Read it here! -Shameless self promotion-

Tìsyaw Nantangä

Quote from: moonseeker on December 31, 2009, 11:46:35 PM
Voice like a warrior, yes. (:

Mokri Nìtsamsiyu should be it. You could flip the names around if you wanted like I just did.

Night Star seems fine, if you want to be more specific you could have, say, Letahnì Txon (starry night) or umm Txonä Tahnì (night's star). My Na'vi is a bit broken so I may have missed an affix somewhere, I'm not good on adjectives. :(
Mì saw, kawtul tsun stivawm ngayä ayzawngit.

Tengfya swizaw

Irayo! I don't consider myself that good, but then again...
Your reply was pretty good as far as I can tell. For basic sentences like that there's really not too much to worry about other than vocab, and you did well on improvising with some of the statements. I could be wrong, but it looks great.

Here's to not knowing exactly what you're saying and having fun with it.

Proud founder of the DeviantART Learn Na'vi group!
http://learnnavi.deviantart.com/

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

Right. 'í'awn alaksí, tsmukan. Ban Ikran tswayon fí'u taw.

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
"Better to have fought and died then never to have fought at all"
-----------
Bionic Arms and Pandora, The most read FanFic on Learnnavi.org! Read it here! -Shameless self promotion-

Tengfya swizaw

Here's to not knowing exactly what you're saying and having fun with it.

Proud founder of the DeviantART Learn Na'vi group!
http://learnnavi.deviantart.com/

moonseeker

Quote from: Tìsyaw Nantangä on January 01, 2010, 12:07:24 AM
Quote from: moonseeker on December 31, 2009, 11:46:35 PM
Voice like a warrior, yes. (:

Mokri Nìtsamsiyu should be it. You could flip the names around if you wanted like I just did.

Night Star seems fine, if you want to be more specific you could have, say, Letahnì Txon (starry night) or umm Txonä Tahnì (night's star). My Na'vi is a bit broken so I may have missed an affix somewhere, I'm not good on adjectives. :(

Irayo! (: Irayo for taking the time to do this (:

The old Uriuujìn

I hate to point this out, but you missed a letter: Txon-yä it should be, instead of Txonä

Otherwise, excellent work, tsmuktu!

Eywa ayngahu!

-Uriuujìn

wm.annis

Quote from: Uriuujìn on January 01, 2010, 12:55:14 AM

I hate to point this out, but you missed a letter: Txon-yä it should be, instead of Txonä

No, it shouldn't.  It seems that the genitive ending is after words that end in a consonant.  See the Weaving Song from the Activist Field Guide.  It contains the phrase trrä sì txonä of day and of night.  We know txonä is sure.

Tìsyaw Nantangä

Quote from: wm.annis on January 01, 2010, 01:04:36 AM

No, it shouldn't.  It seems that the genitive ending is after words that end in a consonant.  See the Weaving Song from the Activist Field Guide.  It contains the phrase trrä sì txonä of day and of night.  We know txonä is sure.

Yeah I read that post of yours, handy to know. Question though, sort of regarding genitives and names and syntax... I've just changed my name from

Nantang-ä Tì-syaw to Tì-syaw Nantang-ä

which I hope is equivalent to changing from Viperwolf's Call to Call of the Viperwolf in a halfassed attempt to give the "call" part more emphasis since I want my nickname to be close to "Woof". My question is, does the possessor have to precede the possessed thing in Na'vi like with the English 's or is it open to reversal in Na'vi? I can't seem to find anything that says that they're bound together [possessor]-[possessed] like in English, but a lifetime of native English speaking has me geared to believe that they are.

wm.annis

Quote from: Tìsyaw Nantangä on January 01, 2010, 01:58:15 AM
My question is, does the possessor have to precede the possessed thing in Na'vi like with the English 's or is it open to reversal in Na'vi? I can't seem to find anything that says that they're bound together [possessor]-[possessed] like in English, but a lifetime of native English speaking has me geared to believe that they are.

Here's what Frommer says in his Language Log post: "Additionally, adjectives, genitives, and relative clauses can either precede or follow their heads."  So, either possessor-possessed or possessed-possessor is fine.

Tìsyaw Nantangä

Txan ayirayo fìpi fì'u! *hopes I didn't mess that up*

swok hawnu ma Eywa

Quote from: Tìsyaw Nantangä on January 01, 2010, 02:16:40 AM
Txan ayirayo fìpi fì'u! *hopes I didn't mess that up*
Sìltsan!
Irayo, Eywa

Brainiac

Quote from: wm.annis on January 01, 2010, 02:09:13 AM
Quote from: Tìsyaw Nantangä on January 01, 2010, 01:58:15 AM
My question is, does the possessor have to precede the possessed thing in Na'vi like with the English 's or is it open to reversal in Na'vi? I can't seem to find anything that says that they're bound together [possessor]-[possessed] like in English, but a lifetime of native English speaking has me geared to believe that they are.

Here's what Frommer says in his Language Log post: "Additionally, adjectives, genitives, and relative clauses can either precede or follow their heads."  So, either possessor-possessed or possessed-possessor is fine.
Thanks, I was wondering about that.
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

Tsleng Atutan

Hey, fresh meat here. Tell me what you think of my name, and let me know if there's ant problems with it.

The old Uriuujìn

Quote from: wm.annis on January 01, 2010, 01:04:36 AM

We were having a debate like this in another thread... http://forum.learnnavi.org/index.php?topic=193.msg3960#msg3960 You were the one that started that thread, I believe.

My opinion stands: words in songs are a less reliable gauge of grammar, because we ghange words in them to fit into rhythms, rhymes, and syllable count.

-Uriuujìn

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Sorry if I am interrupting the flow of the conversation but I have a question about my name. Ari is just a pen name I use for just about everything but my real name is Kristi which means "follower of Christ" (horribly ironic name...)

So I was wondering what something like follower of Eywa would be. I couldn't find the word for follow, so maybe something like learner of...

I know nume means learn. How would I change it to learner?

Also Tireafya'o means spirit path, which is close, but how would I make it sound more like a name and less like something I pulled straight from the dictionary?
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Kiki

My name, Kristina, also means "follower of Christ" or "Christian". Kiki is just a nickname, so it doesn't really have a meaning. So I'm just going with my middle name, Kathleen, which means "pure".

I don't think I found "pure" in the dictionary, so I thought some synonyms would work. Something like:

true: ngay
spirit: tirea

or

no: kehe
evil: tikawng
† official member of Risembool Rangers †

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Hmm perhaps with the word service kìte'e. Server of Eywa, Servant of Eywa would probably be a more direct translation of anyone with a name that follows under Kristi, Christian, Kristina, ect.

Anyone have a clue how to change kìte'e to "server?" I'm still very new to the grammar system.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Robert Nantangä Tirea

Quote from: Kiki on January 01, 2010, 03:48:59 PM
My name, Kristina, also means "follower of Christ" or "Christian". Kiki is just a nickname, so it doesn't really have a meaning. So I'm just going with my middle name, Kathleen, which means "pure".

I don't think I found "pure" in the dictionary, so I thought some synonyms would work. Something like:

true: ngay
spirit: tirea

or

no: kehe
evil: tikawng

Eywayä Numeyu is "Eywa's Learner" but more in the sense that you are a learner who belongs to Eywa. I think you're looking for Numeyu ta Eywa. (special thanks to member Steven Lang for help on this). Since you're using it as a name you can be free to mess with it a little to fit your needs or saying prefrences, re-arranging or deleting letters as you need. Maybe something like Numeyuta Eywa maybe? up to you. good luck!

How does a man choose between fresh and fly?

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

Robert Nantangä Tirea

Quote from: Ari on January 01, 2010, 04:01:34 PM
Hmm perhaps with the word service kìte'e. Server of Eywa, Servant of Eywa would probably be a more direct translation of anyone with a name that follows under Kristi, Christian, Kristina, ect.

Anyone have a clue how to change kìte'e to "server?" I'm still very new to the grammar system.

Very good suggestion!

I haven't checked the vocab list but I am assuming kite'e is a verb, thus you could add "-yu" to the end to make it the person who serves.

kite'eyu = server (servant?)

How does a man choose between fresh and fly?

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!