Na'vi names

Started by Txep, December 23, 2009, 11:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Well according to the dictionary it's a noun, like offering your service. Would it still be kìte'eyu then? We would probably have to change it to serve first...

Still would be something like Eywa kìte'eyu then but should probably be altered to make it sound more like an actual name. Any ideas on that?

Eywkite'eyu maybe?

Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

The old Uriuujìn

Quote from: Robert Nantangä Tirea on January 01, 2010, 04:07:08 PM
Quote from: Ari on January 01, 2010, 04:01:34 PM
Hmm perhaps with the word service kìte'e. Server of Eywa, Servant of Eywa would probably be a more direct translation of anyone with a name that follows under Kristi, Christian, Kristina, ect.

Anyone have a clue how to change kìte'e to "server?" I'm still very new to the grammar system.

Very good suggestion!

I haven't checked the vocab list but I am assuming kite'e is a verb, thus you could add "-yu" to the end to make it the person who serves.

kite'eyu = server (servant?)

Perhaps 'Awpo tupe kìte'e Eywa, "One who serves Eywa;" or Kìte'eyu Eywa-yä, "Eywa's Servant"

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Quote from: Uriuujìn on January 01, 2010, 04:30:33 PM
Quote from: Robert Nantangä Tirea on January 01, 2010, 04:07:08 PM
Quote from: Ari on January 01, 2010, 04:01:34 PM
Hmm perhaps with the word service kìte'e. Server of Eywa, Servant of Eywa would probably be a more direct translation of anyone with a name that follows under Kristi, Christian, Kristina, ect.

Anyone have a clue how to change kìte'e to "server?" I'm still very new to the grammar system.

Very good suggestion!

I haven't checked the vocab list but I am assuming kite'e is a verb, thus you could add "-yu" to the end to make it the person who serves.

kite'eyu = server (servant?)

Perhaps 'Awpo tupe kìte'e Eywa, "One who serves Eywa;" or Kìte'eyu Eywa-yä, "Eywa's Servant"
Well the first one seems like a bit of a mouth full for a name...The second one sounds good. Or maybe if we don't know how to properly change service to servant it could be "One who gives service to Eywa" how would you say that? Irayo
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

The old Uriuujìn

Quote from: Ari on January 01, 2010, 04:42:23 PM
Well the first one seems like a bit of a mouth full for a name...The second one sounds good. Or maybe if we don't know how to properly change service to servant it could be "One who gives service to Eywa" how would you say that? Irayo

'Awpo-l tupe tìng kìte'e Eywa-ti, I think...
-l on One because they are giving, -ti on Eywa 'cause you're giving her your service.
I'd ask a second opinion, though.
Eywa ngahu, smuktu.

-Uriuujìn

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

So to turn that into a name...

Hmmm

Kite'e Eywatitìng...though that's a lot of "eh" sounds in a row...

Tìng Eywatikite'e perhaps

Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

swok hawnu ma Eywa

That sounds good. I think that you could put that to good use!
Irayo, Eywa

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Maybe I should soften the use of the word Eywa though. With the name Kristi you don't pronounce it Krist-i but Kris-ti, meaning you don't say the diety's name. Would it be considered offensive to just have Eywa in your name?

Maybe something like Tìng Eywtikìte'e, you know drop the "ahh" sound.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

swok hawnu ma Eywa

Well i have Eywa specifically in mine and no one has gotten on me about it so far. :)  so i think it's safe to use. i have also seen some with Eywa in their name already, so i don't think it's considered offensive or anything like that.
Irayo, Eywa

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Well on the context of the boards I'm sure no one will take offence to it, but I'm trying to think of it in a natural cultural setting. There are few languages I can think of where their deity's name can be found exactly the same in the name of its followers, unless it's the title of a head priest of something.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Tskxäozì Ewaoe

I mean 'Mohammed', 'Krishna' and 'Jesus' are pretty common names in their respective countries. Though I don't know about the Na'Vi culture, some humans use a deity's name as their own.

The old Uriuujìn

Quote from: Tskxäozì Ewaoe on January 01, 2010, 07:02:07 PM
I mean 'Mohammed', 'Krishna' and 'Jesus' are pretty common names in their respective countries. Though I don't know about the Na'Vi culture, some humans use a deity's name as their own.

I am in agreement. Excellent work, Tsmuktu! ^_^

Quote from: Ari on January 01, 2010, 05:18:11 PM
So to turn that into a name...

Hmmm

Kite'e Eywatitìng...though that's a lot of "eh" sounds in a row...

Tìng Eywatikite'e perhaps

An excellent idea, tsmukan ^_^

Eywa ayngahu.

-Uriuujìn

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

True I guess. Though it may be different between a prophet and an actual God. For now I'll keep Eywa in just in case Eyw means something else. I may change it once more official stuff comes out.

Now I was talking to a friend and the Na'Vi don't seem to focus to much on gender, but still did you notice any differences between male and female names? That way we could have the male and female Christian and Kristi. 
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

The old Uriuujìn

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on January 01, 2010, 07:36:11 PM
True I guess. Though it may be different between a prophet and an actual God. For now I'll keep Eywa in just in case Eyw means something else. I may change it once more official stuff comes out.

Now I was talking to a friend and the Na'Vi don't seem to focus to much on gender, but still did you notice any differences between male and female names? That way we could have the male and female Christian and Kristi. 

-an signifies masculine
-e signifies feminine

-Uriuujìn

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Ah, changes have been made.

We talked about those differences, but you don't hear those used in the names of the movie. Neytiri, Mo'at, Tsu'tey (I'm probably horribly misspelling these but you get my point) is there any notable differences between the female and male names we've seen already?
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

Not that I could see...

The male and female names seem to be pretty much the same, minus the change between masculine or feminine...

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
"Better to have fought and died then never to have fought at all"
-----------
Bionic Arms and Pandora, The most read FanFic on Learnnavi.org! Read it here! -Shameless self promotion-

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Out of the few names in the movie a believe males have slightly harder sounding names with females having softer tones. Granted Cameron was the one who came up with the names so that could just be a subconscious effect of English and not a set rule. Oh dear Frommer, please hurry with getting your wisdom to us!
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Tskxäozì Ewaoe

Tìng Eywatikìte'e, Tsmuke, maybe that's just part of their tone.

Well, if you're comparing it to English you really can't see the difference.
I mean, from an alien's point of view, there's no distinguishing from male names from female.

John, Mary, Kate, Peter, Paul.

If an alien saw thsoe, he wouldn't be able to tell which were male and which were female.
So basically I'm assuming that male and female names are just based around common usage in the Na'Vi culture and that us ketuwong will never really be able to distinguish.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Quote from: Tskxäozì Ewaoe on January 01, 2010, 08:24:49 PM
Tìng Eywatikìte'e, Tsmuke, maybe that's just part of their tone.

Well, if you're comparing it to English you really can't see the difference.
I mean, from an alien's point of view, there's no distinguishing from male names from female.

John, Mary, Kate, Peter, Paul.

If an alien saw thsoe, he wouldn't be able to tell which were male and which were female.
So basically I'm assuming that male and female names are just based around common usage in the Na'Vi culture and that us ketuwong will never really be able to distinguish.

Well out of those names I would assume an alien would be able to tell, as the girls end with vowels and the guys with consonants. They wouldn't know which was which, but they could hear a differences. With plenty of human languages you can separate the names after you've heard a few. I'm just curious to see if the subtle separation I heard was because Cameron put them in on an instinctual level based on his native English tongue, or if it is a rule Frommer plans to put in.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Tìsyaw Nantangä

I'd say you just got lucky that those example names happened to end in vowels for female names and consonants for male names. :P  There are plenty of unisex English names too, like Casey, Ashley etc. plus huge number of English names have roots in other languages and have been anglicised and then evolved on their own over time, so they don't really follow any linguistic rules.

I would agree so some extent though that female names do in general sound a bit "softer" than male names, but it's not set in stone in English and I imagine that it isn't in Na'vi either.
Mì saw, kawtul tsun stivawm ngayä ayzawngit.

Tskxäozì Ewaoe

Tíng Tsmuke, good job on picking that out. But Tísyaw Tsmukan is correct. Those names I chose just happened to do that XD