Na'vi names

Started by Txep, December 23, 2009, 11:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanhìyärina'

Quote from: PopCornz on December 25, 2009, 06:53:12 PM
I did some research and found my real name means joined, or lender/coiler, and being the new guy I'm not sure how to create my name, if i could get some pointers. it would be much appreciated.

Kaltxì, ma tsmuktu.

"Joined" makes me think "mated," muntxa.  That alone might be a strange name, even with the tì- prefix to make it into a noun.

What do you feel joined to?  Perhaps a Na'vi would feel joined to Eywa, or as we've discussed elsewhere, we perhaps should use the word tirea (spirit) instead. 

tirea a-muntxa or muntxa-a tirea
spirit mated(adjective); either way you have two "a"s in a row.

Of course, you could substitute any other word for "tirea" if you feel joined to something else more.

As for "lender/coiler," first, does the latter mean you make coils of things, like rope and wire?  I confess I don't know another meaning for that off the top of my head.  Lender, however...

People who lend things often have an abundance of things.

tìng txan
give much-great-quantity

Hope this helps a bit!

Eywa ngaheiu.
Fitseng lu oe, tìftia kìfkeyä seri.

Motxokxen

i simply got my regular online name "motoken" and replaced the t and k with the tx and kx,
though this name was made up by me several years ago if i had to give it meaning it'd have it be, "a ruling(adj) enigma"
but how to translate that into na'vi is far beyond me.

shiaru

here is a good Na'vi name: swizawyä txoa
~Oe lu tanhì taronyu.~

txum tukru

do u reckon my name is accurate?

The Doctor
Oe lu toktor
I be doctor
pesu nga?          "who are you?"
Oe lu toktor.       "the Doctor!"
pesu?                "who?"
nì'aw, toktor.       "just, the Doctor!"

omängum fra'uti

Grammatically yeah.  Linguistically, it depends what you had in mind.  If you were thinking in the educational sense, I believe toktor is a borrow from English for Dr. Grace's title so you'd be spot on.  For the medical type, it just seems like the Na'vi would have their own word for medic or whatever.

If you wanted to be really geeky you could always be toktor pesu :)
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Brainiac

Quote from: umängam fra'uti on December 26, 2009, 01:47:48 AM
Grammatically yeah.  Linguistically, it depends what you had in mind.  If you were thinking in the educational sense, I believe toktor is a borrow from English for Dr. Grace's title so you'd be spot on.  For the medical type, it just seems like the Na'vi would have their own word for medic or whatever.

If you wanted to be I be really geeky you could always be toktor pesu :)
;D ;D ;D
In al seriousness, I think they have a word for healer, but a scientist, yeah...
but as a name, I think "I am the/a doctor" isn't really...fluid.
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

txum tukru

maby:

poison spear
txum tukru
poison spear
pesu nga?          "who are you?"
Oe lu toktor.       "the Doctor!"
pesu?                "who?"
nì'aw, toktor.       "just, the Doctor!"

Maweytu

Meaning of my name Konstantin is (constant,steadfast)
None of them i found in Na'vi vocabulary.
So please help me with this)

Tanhìyärina'

Quote from: TxurTxelan on December 26, 2009, 01:30:18 PM
Meaning of my name Konstantin is (constant,steadfast)
None of them i found in Na'vi vocabulary.
So please help me with this)

Let's see...

Someone who is constant and steadfast doesn't change.

ke latem
negative-particle change

Or perhaps that's too negative (change is good, a lot of the time) and so you're a calm person:

mawey-tu
calm(made into a noun)

Though the name you have now, Txur Txe'lan, "strong heart," works well too to convey constancy.

It's a start.  Hope it helps.

Eywa ngaheiu, ma tsmuktu.

Maweytu

Thanks a lot)
it would help me.
and by the way, what does it mean. cause i can't find it in vocabulary.)))
ngaheiu, ma
oh and how to pronounce right Mawey-tu.(/ma.‟wɛj/)
and Tu pronounce like Ta?or something else.

Meuiatu

Kaltxi frapo! my name is Tomislav.

Largely used in the Slavic language and its origin is Slavonic. Derived from the element 'slav' meaning fame, glory, Slav.

Can somebody help translating it to Na'vi?

Irayo :)

Tanhìyärina'

Quote from: TxurTxelan on December 26, 2009, 02:07:40 PM
Thanks a lot)
it would help me.
and by the way, what does it mean. cause i can't find it in vocabulary.)))
ngaheiu, ma

ngaheiu = ngah<ei>u = with-you (and I'm happy about it)
ma = particle used before a name or title to show you're talking directly to that person.

Sometimes I'm lax about putting in the < > things.  Tsap'alute s<eng>i oe!

Eywa ngah<ei>u.

Tanhìyärina'

Quote from: cakinjo on December 26, 2009, 02:10:44 PM
Kaltxi frapo! my name is Tomislav.

Largely used in the Slavic language and its origin is Slavonic. Derived from the element 'slav' meaning fame, glory, Slav.

Can somebody help translating it to Na'vi?

Irayo :)

Kaltxì, ma Tomislav.

I can't help with the "Slav" part, but about the "fame, glory" part...

Someone who has fame and glory, among the Na'vi, would probably have much honor.

meuia-tu
honor-(person associated with)

txur-a meuia  (or: meuia a-txur)
strong(adjective) honor

...I'm really fond of making names.  I only hope I'm doing the language justice.  Well, we learn by putting ourselves out there, right?  I'm sure someone will correct me if I get things wrong.

Eywa ngah<ei>u.

Meuiatu

Irayo Tanhìyärina' :)

What if I use my short name/nick name.. etc. Tom or Tomy? would that be just Meuia or Meuia txur-a?

;)

Tanhìyärina'

Quote from: cakinjo on December 26, 2009, 02:48:24 PM
Irayo Tanhìyärina' :)

What if I use my short name/nick name.. etc. Tom or Tomy? would that be just Meuia or Meuia txur-a?

;)

I'm not really sure.  On the other thread there was a discussion about the name Thomas, which means "twin," (here: http://forum.learnnavi.org/index.php?topic=60.msg2574#msg2574 ) and the name that Lì'uyä täftxuyu proposed was
Ay-mune-tute
plural two person

If you want a short name, I think I'd go for Meuiatu, as that's the meaning you originally gave.

But of course, it's your name, so it's your choice.  :)

Eywa ngah<ei>u.

Tengfya swizaw

My name is Campbell, meaning "crooked mouth". Which could refer to the hereditary feature of the Dukes of Argyll. It could also be taken to mean "one who smiles" or something of the like, or could be used to describe someone who twists words. In that case, I'm guessing my name would be along the lines of  li'u kilvan as far as I can compile from the vocabulary. But it's a very imperfect and flawed attempt.
                                                                                                                                                  word river
Alternatively, I could use my screen name (Aeroflyte) to mean a lot of things. Since Aero was a play on Arrow, the name could mean "He who flies like an arrow" and the like. This would be, roughly, ohe swizawan tsw<er>ayon or poan swizawan tsw<er>ayon.  
                                         i    arrow (m)   fly<impv>           he   arrow (m)  fly<impv>

Although those don't seem right, as there's quite a difference between he fly arrow and he flies like arrow. So have fun decimating my attempt at this, as I have no real idea what I'm doing. If anyone could help me out with the "flies like" that would be great. Would it be an adjective or something?
I'm going to go read some more, because I have no idea what I'm doing.

Here's to not knowing exactly what you're saying and having fun with it.

Proud founder of the DeviantART Learn Na'vi group!
http://learnnavi.deviantart.com/

Tanhìyärina'

Quote from: Aeroflyte on December 26, 2009, 04:26:55 PM
                                                                                                                                                  word river
Alternatively, I could use my screen name (Aeroflyte) to mean a lot of things. Since Aero was a play on Arrow, the name could mean "He who flies like an arrow" and the like. This would be, roughly, ohe swizawan tsw<er>ayon or poan swizawan tsw<er>ayon.  
                                         i    arrow (m)   fly<impv>           he   arrow (m)  fly<impv>

Although those don't seem right, as there's quite a difference between he fly arrow and he flies like arrow. So have fun decimating my attempt at this, as I have no real idea what I'm doing. If anyone could help me out with the "flies like" that would be great. Would it be an adjective or something?
I'm going to go read some more, because I have no idea what I'm doing.

Kaltxì, ma tsmukan.

I don't really know what I'm doing either, but that's not stopping me from trying!  :)  (One day it may come back to bite me, but... right now, I'm having fun.)  I don't think you need to form a full sentence for your name, as long as you choose words that get your meaning across.

tengfya = "the same as", so perhaps
Tengfya swizaw
same-as arrow

You could probably leave out "flies" as it could be inferred.  You're same-as-arrow, so of course you fly.

You could also try
Swizaw-yä tì-tswayon
arrow(possessive) (makes a noun from verb)fly
Arrow's flight

But looking at it, swizaw and tswayon sound very very similar.  I think "Tengfya swizaw" gets the image across.  Your name, of course, so your choice!  :)

Eywa ngah<ei>u.

kewnya txamew'itan

as my name is generally taken as meaning tumult or outcry I decided to go for the slightly more Gandalfish version, storm crow interpreted as bringer of evil.

evil is kawng, and to bring is munge.

To bring evil is therefore

kawngyu mungetì

I believe.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Tengfya swizaw

@ Tanhìyärina': Thanks a lot. That simplifies things, as poan swizawan tsw<er>ayon and all is quite a mouthful (more than usual, that is). Tengfya swizaw will do great! And here's to having fun and not knowing what you're doing.

Here's to not knowing exactly what you're saying and having fun with it.

Proud founder of the DeviantART Learn Na'vi group!
http://learnnavi.deviantart.com/

Tanhìyärina'

Quote from: kawngyu mungetì on December 26, 2009, 05:36:14 PM
as my name is generally taken as meaning tumult or outcry I decided to go for the slightly more Gandalfish version, storm crow interpreted as bringer of evil.

evil is kawng, and to bring is munge.

To bring evil is therefore

kawngyu mungetì

I believe.

Perhaps a better way would be

Kawng-ti munge-yu
evil-(object marker) take/bring-(person who specializes in)
Evil bringer

From my reading, "zamunge" is bring, and "munge" is take/bring.  You could probably use either.

Unfortunately I'm not aware of any words for "storm" (tompo is rain, but a storm is different) or "crow" or any other bird, for that matter.

Eywa ngah<ei>u.