Na'vi names

Started by Txep, December 23, 2009, 11:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brainiac

Quote from: Lightnity on January 02, 2010, 07:16:25 AM
Anyone knows how to create a name for me? :D Newb here o.o i like Divine things and things related to Light. Thanks!

avan aswok? or swok a avan?
both meaning holy light.
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

Lightnity

btw, when i read the pocket guide, why do every example have to put a <ei> inbetween the words? as in, what does they mean? how do we pronounce it? I really somehow dont get it :O please help :). Thanks. btw, how to i makethe a/u with the two dots on top of them :D?
Eywá ngá hú

swok hawnu ma Eywa

Quote from: Lightnity on January 02, 2010, 08:08:58 AM
btw, when i read the pocket guide, why do every example have to put a <ei> inbetween the words? as in, what does they mean? how do we pronounce it? I really somehow dont get it :O please help :). Thanks. btw, how to i makethe a/u with the two dots on top of them :D?
yeah i was wondering the same thing.  As well as the i with the little apostraphe instead of the dot.
Irayo, Eywa

Tanhì'itan

Quote from: Lightnity on January 02, 2010, 08:08:58 AM

One, yoùve gone a bit off-topic. Two, <ei> is an infix that expresses a positive attitude towards the subject. The opposite of this being <äng>. Thirdly, there are many threads that teach you how to make the necessary ä, ì, è, ù. You can search for alt codes which requires you pressing alt + a series of four numbers. That thread is here:

http://forum.learnnavi.org/index.php?topic=790.0

If that method does not suit you, you can continue searching. I use a program called ShortKeysLite.

Ikran Tribe

Ma Tsmuke: Tanhì'ite
*Loves the Sea Clan Leader from movie.

Eywaluhu Ayoeng

Kaltxi.

Is there a Na'vi word for "God"? ???  Because my real name is "Emmanuel" that means "God is with us" and I want to "invent" my na'vi name.  :)

Thanks. ;)

PlataE

NerVo

hey all ! i am new, i tryed to find myself a name but i cant fin something close.

i checked in some websites, and the meaning of my name is: Glory of the camp.

can anyone find me a name on Na'vi language ? i checked the Vocabulary and cant find anything.

Tanhì'itan

Quote from: PlataE on January 02, 2010, 01:13:42 PM
Kaltxi.

Is there a Na'vi word for "God"? ???  Because my real name is "Emmanuel" that means "God is with us" and I want to "invent" my na'vi name.  :)

Thanks. ;)

PlataE

There deity is Eywa.So I will construct "Eywa Is With Us"
ay-oeng-ri ewya lu hu.
That would be the complete senctence. Perhaps you can play around with the syllables until you get a nice sounding name.

Quote from: NerVo on January 02, 2010, 01:16:03 PM
hey all ! i am new, i tryed to find myself a name but i cant fin something close.

i checked in some websites, and the meaning of my name is: Glory of the camp.

can anyone find me a name on Na'vi language ? i checked the Vocabulary and cant find anything.

"Glory of the camp." I will construct great land.
Nawm-a atxkxe. Follow the advice I gave under previous quote. Play with the syllables.

Ikran Tribe

NerVo

if i want to say great/noble leader its: Nawm-a eyktan ? or Nawm eyktan ?

Eywaluhu Ayoeng

Quote from: Tanhì'itan on January 02, 2010, 01:20:44 PM
Quote from: PlataE on January 02, 2010, 01:13:42 PM
Kaltxi.

Is there a Na'vi word for "God"? ???  Because my real name is "Emmanuel" that means "God is with us" and I want to "invent" my na'vi name.  :)

Thanks. ;)

PlataE

There deity is Eywa.So I will construct "Eywa Is With Us"
ay-oeng-ri ewya lu hu.
That would be the complete senctence. Perhaps you can play around with the syllables until you get a nice sounding name.

Thanks for the answer, I will move the silabes, to make it sounds great.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on January 02, 2010, 01:46:08 AM
I think that's what most of us are doing. Perhaps when we have a firmer grasp we can tighten them a bit since I think just about everyone's name is a little long for an actual name. Y'know.
I guess what we're coming up with now are full names, so we could just call each other by our first names.
[/quote]

I'm not so sure how well that would work, since the first part of my name is just the verb for "give" so it doesn't quite fit. Once we have a large vocab to work from and a few more names to use as examples will be able to figure out the pattern of how they form them.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Tanhì'itan

Quote from: NerVo on January 02, 2010, 01:44:49 PM
if i want to say great/noble leader its: Nawm-a eyktan ? or Nawm eyktan ?

Nawma eyktan
Nawm-a eyktan

An adjective takes an "a" on the side closest to the noun it modifies. Be sure to remember that.

Ikran Tribe

Sngä'i Tìrey-yä

Alright, so I'm a huge fan of the movie, and am seriously considering trying to learn the language (which is possibly the nerdiest thing I've ever undertaken). I spent most of the day trying to find a Na'vi name, and I'd like to make sure I didn't seriously miss the ball with meanings/grammar. Part of my real name means 'rebirth' so I chose Latem Munge, which I translated as 'bring change' since we don't know any kind of verb for birth yet (to my knowledge). It just doesn't look right for some reason though, anyone able to offer any insight? :)
Avatar is a movie about a guy with blue balls running through the forest chasing tail.

The old Uriuujìn

Well. you could invent the term for birth by saying "beginning of life," or "life's beginning" Sngä'ikrr tìrey-yä. "First Sight" in the spiritual sense, 'Awve Tìkameie is another option for the word "Birth" as a noun. Though my personal favorite is the second. For rebirth, (nì)mune-ve is probably what "Second" is in Na'vi, since (nì)'awve is first. That would make it "Second Birth," which would essentially be "rebirth"

That's my ten cents, tsmuktu. Good luck.

Eywa ngahu!

-Uriuujìn

Sngä'i Tìrey-yä

Quote from: Uriuujìn on January 02, 2010, 08:39:53 PM
Well. you could invent the term for birth by saying "beginning of life," or "life's beginning" Sngä'ikrr tìrey-yä. "First Sight" in the spiritual sense, 'Awve Tìkameie is another option for the word "Birth" as a noun. Though my personal favorite is the second. For rebirth, (nì)mune-ve is probably what "Second" is in Na'vi, since (nì)'awve is first. That would make it "Second Birth," which would essentially be "rebirth"

Eywa ngahu!

-Uriuujìn

Thanks, I appreciate the tips!
Avatar is a movie about a guy with blue balls running through the forest chasing tail.

The old Uriuujìn

Quote from: Sngä'i Tìrey-yä Nìmun on January 02, 2010, 08:45:23 PM
Quote from: Uriuujìn on January 02, 2010, 08:39:53 PM

Eywa ngahu!

-Uriuujìn

Thanks, I appreciate the tips!

^_^ It's no problem. If anyone needs any help with anything, feel free to PM me, and I'll do my best to help.

Eywa ayngahu!

-Uriuujìn

Txantslusama tsamsiyu

Do all names in Na'Vi have a meaning? Such as Neytiri? If not couldn't we build our own name that is grammatically correct?

Tskxäozì Ewaoe

I doubt all Na'vi names have a meaning. We havent got all the vocab yet so we can't tell if Neytiri is or is not....

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Well I'm sure they all have meaning, but like our own names, they don't fit with their grammar and has been muddled down into a name that you'd have to trace back to a root meaning.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Fkeua Tsamsiyuyä 'ite

Hi, i was wondering if someone could help me.....

I'm probably not going to try to learn the language, however i love the movie and have been trying to figure out how to create a translation of my name. Could someone help me translate it and place it into the proper Na'vi ...format?

My name is Madison Price

Madison Means; "Son of the mighty warrior" (However i'm a girl, so it would be 'daughter of the mighty warrior')
Price means: Priest. Like a spiritual leader.

I honestly don't know if the Na'vi have a first and sir name, or only one...

Sorry about this, but i would love some help.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Well I don't know the exact grammar, but I'm pretty sure we have all the vocab for Madison. We could probably come up with spiritual leader too, but it is very late at night (or very early in the morning, whatever) and I'm to tired to come up with grammar.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng