Na'vi names

Started by Txep, December 23, 2009, 11:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fkeua Tsamsiyuyä 'ite

I was able to find some words.

Fkeu - Mighty
tsamsiyu - Warrior
'ite - daughter

However, i don't know how credible the source is, and i don't know enough of the Na'vi grammar to know what, or if there is anything for "of the"... or even if it's needed. Also, i don't know how to properly put together what i have found.

And for priest, I'm trying to find that... i thought it would probably just be what Neytiri's mother is called... wouldn't it? 

Tìsyaw Nantangä

I'd probably go with the first name only for now, since "daughter of the mighty warrior priest" can be a little confusing. :P  Anyway here's what "Madison" would be in Na'vi and how you form it.

Warrior is tsamsiyu

Mighty is fkeu

Daughter is 'ite

To show possession in Na'vi, you use the suffix or ä (similar to 's in English), yä if the possessor ends in a vowel, ä if the possessor ends in a consonant.

So, so far we have Tsamsiyuyä 'Ite (Warrior's Daughter). Since Na'vi word order is unimportant, they add the syllable a to the adjective to show which noun the adjective is applied to. The a goes on the side of the adjective that is closest to the noun. So, we end up with:

Fkeu Atsamsiyuyä 'Ite.

It's a little longwinded, but yeah. That's it :)

Edit: Yeah, priest would translate comfortably to Tsahìk, which is as you said, Mo'at's title.
Mì saw, kawtul tsun stivawm ngayä ayzawngit.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Quote from: Ladybuguboo on January 03, 2010, 03:38:05 AM

And for priest, I'm trying to find that... i thought it would probably just be what Neytiri's mother is called... wouldn't it? 

Actually that translates as "matriarch"
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Fkeua Tsamsiyuyä 'ite

:o Wow, thank you so much. It would have taken me about a month to figure all of that out by myself. That's also really interesting. I'll have to keep studying. I may not be able to speak it, but i like learning about the language.

Tìsyaw Nantangä

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on January 03, 2010, 03:47:19 AM

Grace says specifically that Mo'at is their spiritual leader, like a shaman. Matriarch just means that she is the "alpha female" so to speak, like the first lady.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Quote from: Tìsyaw Nantangä on January 03, 2010, 03:51:23 AM

Grace says specifically that Mo'at is their spiritual leader, like a shaman. Matriarch just means that she is the "alpha female" so to speak, like the first lady.

Yes, but Frommer's definition of it is "matriarch" so she is the alpha female, which in that society would mean she takes on spiritual roles. The title implies her spiritual duty but doesn't directly translate it.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Tìsyaw Nantangä

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on January 03, 2010, 03:53:30 AM

Yes, but Frommer's definition of it is "matriarch" so she is the alpha female, which in that society would mean she takes on spiritual roles. The title implies her spiritual duty but doesn't directly translate it.

I think I misunderstood your initial response to Ladybug. I thought you were saying that the Tsahìk was not their spiritual leader, but a matriarch instead, while I'm trying to say that she's both.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Quote from: Tìsyaw Nantangä on January 03, 2010, 04:00:19 AM
Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on January 03, 2010, 03:53:30 AM

I think I misunderstood your initial response to Ladybug. I thought you were saying that the Tsahìk was not their spiritual leader, but a matriarch instead, while I'm trying to say that she's both.

Oh yeah she's definitely both and in their culture Tsahìk is always a spiritual leader, but I think Frommer had it translate to matriarch to show that when they look at other cultures they would call a female leader Tsahìk before a female priest of some sort. If that makes sense, I need sleep. Curse this forum and its addictive behavior.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Doolio

Quote from: Tìsyaw Nantangä on January 03, 2010, 03:44:04 AM
I'd probably go with the first name only for now, since "daughter of the mighty warrior priest" can be a little confusing. :P  Anyway here's what "Madison" would be in Na'vi and how you form it.

Warrior is tsamsiyu

Mighty is fkeu

Daughter is 'ite

To show possession in Na'vi, you use the suffix or ä (similar to 's in English), yä if the possessor ends in a vowel, ä if the possessor ends in a consonant.

So, so far we have Tsamsiyuyä 'Ite (Warrior's Daughter). Since Na'vi word order is unimportant, they add the syllable a to the adjective to show which noun the adjective is applied to. The a goes on the side of the adjective that is closest to the noun. So, we end up with:

Fkeu Atsamsiyuyä 'Ite.

It's a little longwinded, but yeah. That's it :)

Edit: Yeah, priest would translate comfortably to Tsahìk, which is as you said, Mo'at's title.

slight correction:
it would be "fkeua tsamsiyuyä 'ite" as the "-a-" is added to an adjective.
...taj rad...

Fkeua Tsamsiyuyä 'ite

Just thinking... For Priest.
tseo - Art  
tireafya'o - Spirit path
äie - Vision
swok - Sacred

Maybe using some of these words, it could mean the same idea?

"Art of the Spirit Path" for example?

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Quote from: Fkeu Atsamsiyuyä 'Ite on January 03, 2010, 04:19:46 AM
Just thinking... For Priest.
tseo - Art 
tireafya'o - Spirit path
äie - Vision

Maybe using these some of these words, it could mean the same idea?

Well for priest we do have the word Spirit "tirea" and Leader "eyktan" so combining those some how will work.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Tìsyaw Nantangä

Quote from: Doolio on January 03, 2010, 04:14:00 AM

slight correction:
it would be "fkeua tsamsiyuyä 'ite" as the "-a-" is added to an adjective.

Ah it is too, thanks for that. I even knew it looked wrong when I was typing it but didn't bother to double check  ::)

Fkeua Tsamsiyuyä 'ite

I see that Spirit and path were just put together to create one word. Can you do the same with Spirit and leader? Making Tirea and eyktan just Tireaeyktan?

Tskxäozì Ewaoe

Well Tsa'hik is the spitirual leader/shaman.

Fkeua Tsamsiyuyä 'ite

Quote from: Tskxäozì Ewaoe on January 03, 2010, 04:50:50 AM
Well Tsa'hik is the spitirual leader/shaman.
Yes, but they said that that also means "matriarch" and i don't want the name to mean that I'm the actual spiritual leader of the clan.....

Tskxäozì Ewaoe

Oh ok, lol.
Yeah, I'm sure you can just shove the two words together (There's a lot of Na'vi compund words)

realdealmagic101

My name (Ryan) means Little King. I could find Little in Na'vi which is "it" but I dont know what King would translate as... Pleaes help.

Tskxäozì Ewaoe

I wouldn't expect Na'vi to have a word for King, as they don't have a king.
So use the word 'leader' which is 'eyktan'. So Iteyktan would be little leader.

Doolio

i think that it would be better to use "hì'i" as it is an adjective, meaning "small". "it" is a noun, meaning "bit", small amount of something.
we have no word for king, but the closest for it would be "eyktan" (leader) or "olo'eyktan" (clan leader).

so:

eyktan ahì'i
olo'eyktan ahì'i

or

ahì'ia eyktan
ahì'ia olo'eyktan
...taj rad...

Atanä mungeyu

if ''ì'awn'' means: remain/stay what would be ''staying'' as in something that remains/stays??
irayo for he who knows
eywa ayngahu
I haz teh DVD yaaaayy xD

nederlandse pocket guide door mij en txura tirea.