Na'vi names

Started by Txep, December 23, 2009, 11:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karyu Amawey

Hey all!  I'm going to see the movie again tonight!  Anyone want my to keep a lookout on anything?
Oel ayngati kameie

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: Tanhìyärina' on December 26, 2009, 07:06:20 PM
Perhaps a better way would be

Kawng-ti munge-yu
evil-(object marker) take/bring-(person who specializes in)
Evil bringer

From my reading, "zamunge" is bring, and "munge" is take/bring.  You could probably use either.

Unfortunately I'm not aware of any words for "storm" (tompo is rain, but a storm is different) or "crow" or any other bird, for that matter.

Eywa ngah<ei>u.
If you're already not focusing on a grammatical clause, you don't have any reason for the -ti, because there is nothing for it to be the ergative of.  Just Kawng mungeyu
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

kewnya txamew'itan

irayo ma omängum fra'uti.

I just thought, could the "word" for storm be as simple as wind and rain?

If so, would that be

hufwe tompa mungeyu

That said I find that tompa mungeyu hunfwe sounds nicer and the free word order should allow this I thin.

irayo karyu, Eywa ngahu.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Meuiatu

Kaltxi frapo!  :)

Ihave a question. how to translate name Sanja? meaning of the name is "to dream" or dreama.

I've tried and got something like Unile...is that right?

Irayo ;)

Txep

Quote from: Tanhìyärina' on December 26, 2009, 02:15:39 PM
ngaheiu = ngah<ei>u = with-you (and I'm happy about it)

I don't think you can do that. <ei> is an evidential for verbs, and ngahu is a declined preposition, not a verb.

Tanhìyärina'

Quote from: Txep on December 27, 2009, 05:32:28 PM
Quote from: Tanhìyärina' on December 26, 2009, 02:15:39 PM
ngaheiu = ngah<ei>u = with-you (and I'm happy about it)

I don't think you can do that. <ei> is an evidential for verbs, and ngahu is a declined preposition, not a verb.

I wasn't sure that was possible, but I thought perhaps you could use the infixes more freely than just in verbs.  Ah well.  I can always say "Eywa ngehu leiu."
Fitseng lu oe, tìftia kìfkeyä seri.

Tanhìyärina'

Quote from: Meuiatu on December 27, 2009, 12:56:50 PM

Ihave a question. how to translate name Sanja? meaning of the name is "to dream" or dreama.

Irayo ;)

Dream is "unil," a noun.  "To dream" would be "unil si," I think.  Since we're making it up (the name thing, at least, for now) as we go, you could probably use Unile too-- but the "e" is reminiscent of how you make something feminine, so if a man's name had the meaning "dream," he may not want to use Unile.  ;)

Eywa ngahu.

Sänra

Rather than try to figure out what the translation of my name might be in Na'vi (Sandra means, 'Protector of Mankind') I decided instead to look at how my name might be pronounced and written in Na'vi, as it is.

There is no 'd' sound in Na'vi, so I inferred that that sound would probably be dropped or slurred out (some Asians I know already do this with my name) so I think that my name would come to Sänra in Na'vi, which I'm happy with.

Tanhìyärina'

Quote from: Sänra on December 27, 2009, 06:53:24 PM
Rather than try to figure out what the translation of my name might be in Na'vi (Sandra means, 'Protector of Mankind') I decided instead to look at how my name might be pronounced and written in Na'vi, as it is.

There is no 'd' sound in Na'vi, so I inferred that that sound would probably be dropped or slurred out (some Asians I know already do this with my name) so I think that my name would come to Sänra in Na'vi, which I'm happy with.

That's a good idea!  And it made a nice name too.  Eywa ngahu!

Toruk Makto

I got fairly lucky on my first try. I am in the special effects/pyro business and was looking for "fire maker" or better yet, "master fire maker". Even though I asked in the wrong place here on the forums (from being in too big of a hurry), Lì'uyä täftxuyu graciously answered that I had apparently chosen wisely.

I was tied up on a gig this weekend, so really have had only had a couple of hours to start going through the forums. This place is a gold mine. I am already able to pick out a bit of Na'vi sentences as I read them, but am having the expected trouble of creating my own. Yes I know... practice, practice, practice. I am driving my wife crazy over here...  ;D

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Fhangrin

Anyone have thoughts on how to simplify "Fang grin" which is essentially how my name should be pronounced, enough to make something out of it in Na'vi? The only thing even -remotely- close since the current dictionary (unless the wiki post on the language is already outdated) has no word for "teeth" "tooth" or "fang."

Meuiatu

Quote from: Tanhìyärina' on December 27, 2009, 06:44:13 PM
Quote from: Meuiatu on December 27, 2009, 12:56:50 PM

Irayo ;)

Dream is "unil," a noun.  "To dream" would be "unil si," I think.  Since we're making it up (the name thing, at least, for now) as we go, you could probably use Unile too-- but the "e" is reminiscent of how you make something feminine, so if a man's name had the meaning "dream," he may not want to use Unile.  ;)

Eywa ngahu.

Irayo :) my mistake.. it's a girl name...so Unile is ok :) :)

'Itan Eywayä

Interresting topic  :D

i was wondering if the name i picked makes any sense at all, i threw some syntactic rules together and came up with this
'Itan Eywayä
which i hoped would mean "son of eywa" - but i am not entirely sure i did it right  ;D
can somebody tell me what needs to be changed please?

thank you ^^

omängum fra'uti

Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Brainiac

The Genitive seems to get the '-yä' affix, so that'd be 'Itan<yä> Eywati (eywa being the topic, after all)
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

Tìngay

as you guys seem to be so good at this (im only just starting out, so am definatly not lol) i wondered if someone could help me out a bit?
my name is kathleen which means 'pure' (ha!) but as far as i can tell there is no word for that yet.
any ideas?

irayo!

Brainiac

you could go for Tìngay, meaning "truth".
Though I like "kittie" too ^_^

Unil täftxuyu

for names the only thing i'd be worried about would be spelling, depending on if your going to use Na'vi words or make up your own name. Names don't generally follow any grammatical rules, your name could be kmdgtps and while being a correct name, i don't think theres any way your going to pronounce it. What i'm saying is the order of the words or the tense or forms doesn't have to be grammatically correct at all, just slap a word or two together and you'll essentially have a name.

Tìngay

Quote from: Lì'uyä täftxuyu on December 28, 2009, 09:13:44 AM

i like that, its very similar to my birth name, Tina lol

Brainiac

Quote from: kittie on December 28, 2009, 09:29:11 AM
Quote from: Lì'uyä täftxuyu on December 28, 2009, 09:13:44 AM

i like that, its very similar to my birth name, Tina lol
Heh. Cool. Well, you could stick to that, then  ;D