Na'vi names

Started by Txep, December 23, 2009, 11:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toruk Makto

That's pretty neat. Closest Na'vi analog for a name I have seen yet.  :)

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

'Itan Eywayä

QuoteThe Genitive seems to get the '-yä' affix, so that'd be 'Itan<yä> Eywati (eywa being the topic, after all)
but is it not "eywa" which has the genitiv case here? as eywa is the 'possessor' (shows possession over 'son')?

Tutee A-nawm

I've been told that my name means The great (woman). So I found these two words and since 'The' does not exist, this is what I came up with..

Nawm and tutee.
Great/noble and Woman

Would the title then become:

Nawm Tutee
or
Tutee Nawm

or neither?
If so, could anyone please help me and explain? Or just tell me the right name :-)

Irayo

Zamunge Tìrey

hmm how would some1 translate Indiana into a na'vi name?

Brainiac

Quote from: Rednilec on December 28, 2009, 02:26:05 PM
I've been told that my name means The great (woman). So I found these two words and since 'The' does not exist, this is what I came up with..

Nawm and tutee.
Great/noble and Woman

Would the title then become:

Nawm Tutee
or
Tutee Nawm

It wouldn't matter, but you'd need an 'a' at Nawm, on the side facing Tutee.
eg:
Nawm-a Tutee
or
Tutee A-nawm
:)
or neither?
If so, could anyone please help me and explain?

Irayo
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

Tutee A-nawm

Irayo.

Can you tell me why, just short? No, I'm at that point in my learning yet, and don't know where to look for the answer..

Doolio

okay, my name is Dusan. in serbian, 'dusa' means 'soul'. '-n' in this case represents the suffix for making the noun into the adjective. so, dusan means something like 'soulful' or 'soully' or even maybe 'soul-like':)

it seems that we do not have the na'vi word for 'soul' yet, the closest i could find was 'tirea' (spirit).

so, my name would translate to something like 'Atirea' or 'Tireaa'? i think i got it correct, although i am pretty new at this, so i am not very sure about it, also, does it matter that there is no noun that is affected?
...taj rad...

Tanhìyärina'

Quote from: Tutee A-nawm Ƣ on December 28, 2009, 05:05:32 PM
Irayo.

Can you tell me why, just short? No, I'm at that point in my learning yet, and don't know where to look for the answer..

-a (or a-) is used to mark the adjective.  You always put it on the side of the word that the noun is on.  Hence
Nawm-a Tutee
or
Tutee A-nawm.

Hope that helps.

Eywa ngahu.
Fitseng lu oe, tìftia kìfkeyä seri.

Reronsem Si

Wanted to check my name as well. Since my real name is Krystoffer (Christopher) or Christ bearer, and considering there probably isn't a Christ like person in Na'vi history or language, decided to do Dream Weaver. Probably common, but all I do is create art and music in my head, so figured its best to define that as weaving dreams.

Unilyä Täftxuyu

Tutee A-nawm

Quote from: Tanhìyärina' on December 28, 2009, 05:54:02 PM
Quote from: Tutee A-nawm Ƣ on December 28, 2009, 05:05:32 PM
Irayo.

-a (or a-) is used to mark the adjective.  You always put it on the side of the word that the noun is on.  Hence
Nawm-a Tutee
or
Tutee A-nawm.

Hope that helps.

Eywa ngahu.

Something for the notes..

Irayo, ma Tanhìyärina'. Irayo!!

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Unilyä Täftxuyu on December 28, 2009, 06:43:51 PM
Wanted to check my name as well. Since my real name is Krystoffer (Christopher) or Christ bearer, and considering there probably isn't a Christ like person in Na'vi history or language, decided to do Dream Weaver. Probably common, but all I do is create art and music in my head, so figured its best to define that as weaving dreams.

Unilyä Täftxuyu

Christopher is my name also.  I made an approximation that a "Christ Bearer" as a role, is someone who does not abandon Christ as a matter of action.

In the Na'vi faith, they would Substitute "Eywa" as they would be unfamiliar with Christ, or to be less pretentious one could use "tirea".

Do not abandon Eywa or Do not abandon the Spirit.

rä'ä      txìng     tirea 
do not abandon spirit

"Rä'ä'txìng Tirea" or "Rä'ä Txìng'Tirea"

"Rä'ä'Txìng" or "Txìng'Tirea" could be a short name
私は太った男だ。

tute nuereime

Quote from: Doolio on December 28, 2009, 05:51:22 PM
so, my name would translate to something like 'Atirea' or 'Tireaa'?
i would probably go with Atirea because the double a in tireaa seems wrong.
kaltxì peng oeru fra'uya niNa'Vi

Tìsyaw Nantangä

Quote from: tute nuereime on December 29, 2009, 12:52:45 AM
The "Aa" in Aaron has always seemed wrong to me, but that's still a legitimate name. :D

My internet alias is usually Woof so I tried to create something close to that. I settled on Nantangya Syaw, "Viperwolf's Call". (Hopefully)
Mì saw, kawtul tsun stivawm ngayä ayzawngit.

Brainiac

Quote from: Nantangya Syaw on December 29, 2009, 02:58:01 AM
Quote from: tute nuereime on December 29, 2009, 12:52:45 AM
The "Aa" in Aaron has always seemed wrong to me, but that's still a legitimate name. :D

My internet alias is usually Woof so I tried to create something close to that. I settled on Nantangya Syaw, "Viperwolf's Call". (Hopefully)

That would be either nanatngyä syaw or nanatng syawyä (I keep mixing up these genitives. Ask wm annis. :P

Tìsyaw Nantangä

Quote from: Lì'uyä täftxuyu on December 29, 2009, 03:19:55 AM

That would be either nanatngyä syaw or nanatng syawyä (I keep mixing up these genitives. Ask wm annis. :P

I had a quick hunt and from what I can tell the genitive suffix goes on the possessor. "Your" is "ngeyä", which I suppose could translate literally into a possessive "you's", so by my (rather fuzzy) logic, the "yä" could be used in pretty well the same way as the English possessive "'s".

Also, I noticed you left out the "a" in nanatngyä and nanatng, but for the life of me I can't work out why. Care to shed some light? :D

Brainiac

Quote from: Nantangyä Syaw on December 29, 2009, 05:10:40 AM

I had a quick hunt and from what I can tell the genitive suffix goes on the possessor. "Your" is "ngeyä", which I suppose could translate literally into a possessive "you's", so by my (rather fuzzy) logic, the "yä" could be used in pretty well the same way as the English possessive "'s".

Also, I noticed you left out the "a" in nanatngyä and nanatng, but for the life of me I can't work out why. Care to shed some light? :D
Because I misread it  ;D

Tìsyaw Nantangä

Quote from: Lì'uyä täftxuyu on December 29, 2009, 05:13:06 AM
Quote from: Nantangyä Syaw on December 29, 2009, 05:10:40 AM

Because I misread it  ;D

Aha lol ^_^

Aztique

My name, Kelly, literally means "descendant of Ceallach" but more simple War("Person who comes out of the war") strife or bright-headed. So something like descendant of war, daughter of war would be appropiate i guess, which would mean i'd have to combine 'ite and Tsam and something with yä.

Would it become something like Tsamyä 'ite? A beginner's guess  :)

Toruk Makto

Perhaps

ta tsam
"from war"

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Aztique

ah right, so then more appropiate would be tute ta tsam?