Na'vi from Avatar movie on Wiki

Started by Lisa, May 30, 2010, 08:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa

As a non-grammarian, I'm having some difficulty wrapping my mind around all the inflections.  I'm finding it helpful to take actual Na'vi sentences and break them down to components and see how the bits change.  Knowing the English translation helps.

I was looking at the Na'vi transcriptions from the movie on the wiki (http://wiki.learnnavi.org/index.php/Na%27vi_from_Avatar_Movie) and noticed the warning on the page that the lines "may be grammatically incorrect and should not be taken as the reference for correctness."   Which is a kind of a bummer, since there are a lot of seemingly good lines with translations.  :)

So I was wondering how bad are the lines?  Am I really going to be screwing myself up if I dissect them?

Can anybody direct me to a good source of Na'vi sentences with translations?  I have been working my way through the "Learn Na'vi" workbook, but would like longer sentences.

Irayo!
Oeru syaw "Tirea Ikran" kop slä frakrrmi layu oe "Grammar Skxawng"   :)

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

I'd say most of the movie lines are right but without confirmation we can't be 100% sure. You won't screw yourself up if you dissect them, if things are wrong chances are they are minor.

The corpus section of the wiki is a good place to start for some sentences also. http://wiki.learnnavi.org/index.php/Corpus But like everything else in the world there are bound to be minor fault with some of those as well.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Lisa

Irayo for the info; I guess I'm just hoping to avoid as many mistakes as I can, as fixing bad habits after they are fully established can be problematic.   I'll go ahead and use them then, and I'll ask if I'm not sure about something.  :)

Irayo nìmun!
Oeru syaw "Tirea Ikran" kop slä frakrrmi layu oe "Grammar Skxawng"   :)