Na'vi numbers Formula

Started by Nawma_taronyu, May 17, 2010, 01:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nawma_taronyu

not sure anyone has found this out already so here it is a "formula" of sorts for the Na'vi and humans numbers

NOTE: this is for Na'vi to Human Number Transition only, no formula found yet for Human to Na'vi
Eywa'eveng ngeyä mì sìrey livu frakrr.
May Pandora always be in your life.

Nawma_taronyu

I am curently working on a formula for Human - Na'vi numbers but is rather difficult as the numeric value of the Navi numbers 50> you take off 10 so hopefully ill be able to find this formula :)

this is what I've gotten but is inconclusive
Eywa'eveng ngeyä mì sìrey livu frakrr.
May Pandora always be in your life.

Tsamsiyu92

Octal -> decimal

5324 for instance would be

5*83 + 3*82 + 2*81 + 4*80

81=8 and 80 = 1, but i write them anyways.

Decimal -> Octal

There is no formula which is like insert decimal, get octal, but you can think of it as like this. Let's take the number 4975. This is how i would have done it.

zazams
4975 : 4096 =1,21484375
1 zasam

0,21484375 * 4096 = 880

vozams
880 : 512 = 1,71875
1 vozam

0,71875 * 512 = 368

zams
368 : 64 = 5,75
5 zams

64 * 0,75 = 48

vols
48 : 8 = 6
6 vols

6 - 6 = 0

So the number is 11560

P.A.'li makto

Kaltxí!
Isn't this Karyu Pawl a genious?! He created a fascinating staff with this language, and even kept in mind to change the decimal system to an octal one! Absolutely gorgeous!

facebook: soaia leNa`vi

Carborundum

Quote from: P.A.'li makto on May 18, 2010, 10:15:35 AM
Kaltxí!
Isn't this Karyu Pawl a genious?! He created a fascinating staff with this language, and even kept in mind to change the decimal system to an octal one! Absolutely gorgeous!
I think that was Cameron's decision.
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

P.A.'li makto

facebook: soaia leNa`vi

Tsamsiyu92

Quote from: P.A.'li makto on May 18, 2010, 10:15:35 AM
Kaltxí!

If you take a look at the bluy guys' hands, you'll see why.

Miyapxi

Maybe I'm just good with different bases, because I convert fine without crazy conversion methods.  Normally I just think of the number and it's fairly apparent what it should be in base 8, but that just confused the heck out of me.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Octal is very common in computer science. Since you cannot tell an octal number from a decimal number, they are often preceeded by 0o (zero -lower case o). Although I doubt the Na`vi do that, we can do it to indicate a number is in octal. thus, 377 in Octal would be 0o377 (255 in decimal).

What I do for conversion is similar to the division method, except I use remainders. I'll have to try the decimal method. I can do hexadecimal in my head to a point, need some real practice with octal. (Hexadecimal is preceeded with '0x', which you see a lot more of, because hexadecimal is used a lot more.)

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tsamsiyu92

I created a converter in excel, so if you have excel 2007+, you can use it.