New to Na'vi...

Started by Navi-Are-Awesome, May 04, 2010, 06:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Navi-Are-Awesome

Kaltxi!  I'm a noob to Na'vi and it sort of seems impossible to learn it because I'm in 7th grade, but I love the language and the movie sooo much!   ???  

So what do I do? How am I supposed to learn it with words that I don't understand and are to complicated for me? I mean, I'm good at learning things and all but it seems so hard! I wish Dr. Frommer could like make some CD or book on it, haha, but I doubt that'll ever happen. If you could help me out I'd appreciate it... Irayo!
(I had recently posted this in the suggestions page but realised later, so im posting it here to see if I might get help)  ;D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nari!
Narri?
Nari!
Nahi!
*Slap*       haha!    :)
Neytiri: Nari.
Jake: Narri?
Neytiri: Nari!
Jake: Nahi!!
*slap* :)

Kayrìlien

Kaltxì ma tsmukan!

If you're just starting out, this thread has basically every resource you need for getting your feet wet. First of all, Taronyu's dictionary is updated regulary, and contains a complete list of all Na'vi canon words (and many others as well) that we know of. For learning the basics of grammar, I would suggest the "Na'vi in a Nutshell" guide, which does an excellent job at explaining the basics without bogging you down with extensive linguistic terminology. Finally, for something a bit more interactive and fun, try Kaltxì Palulukan's Activity Book, which contains 100 pages of fun worksheets that will help you learn all of the basic Na'vi vocabulary.

For more interactive ways to learn, try the LearnNa'vi.org Teamspeak server, where you can talk with people from all over the world about (and in) Na'vi! Also, beginning on May 21 is Project Ngaynume, a new program that will strive to teach Na'vi by direct association to ideas rather than using English as an intermediary language.

Regarding Karyu Pawl not being able to release a book about the Na'vi language, it is not in his hands right now, as contractual obligations prohibit him from acting without consent from 20th Century Fox. We're all (including Dr. Frommer) waiting for their answer.

Anything else?

Kayrìlien

Navi-Are-Awesome

Not really, and thanks, I'll be sure to try some of that. I had looked at "Na'vi in a nutshell" but found it quite confusing so I decided to try the Activity book and I've been looking at that since 3:00, sorta got hooked up on it, but now I'm sort of wanting to understand it more than how they explain it, but without the long and boring explanations and what not. I just got into the forum yesterday, and I'd like to have somebody to talk to about it, so you wanna be friends or somethin? haha, sorry,  :)

There's this guy in school who found out I was learning this and he's like, "It's not like your gonna see some blue Na'vi walk up to you and have a conversation! I'm learning German, a real language!"
"I just sorta laughed, and he demanded me to say something and when I did he looked sorta blown away like he didn't expect it, haha! It's fun.  ;D

Kayrìlien

Quote from: Navi-Are-Awesome on May 04, 2010, 07:17:50 PM
Not really, and thanks, I'll be sure to try some of that. I had looked at "Na'vi in a nutshell" but found it quite confusing so I decided to try the Activity book and I've been looking at that since 3:00, sorta got hooked up on it, but now I'm sort of wanting to understand it more than how they explain it, but without the long and boring explanations and what not. I just got into the forum yesterday, and I'd like to have somebody to talk to about it, so you wanna be friends or somethin? haha, sorry,  :)

The beautiful thing about this community is, truly, how friendly everyone really is. You should have no problem finding people to talk to about all things Avatar; I know I certainly have.

There's this guy in school who found out I was learning this and he's like, "It's not like your gonna see some blue Na'vi walk up to you and have a conversation! I'm learning German, a real language!"
"I just sorta laughed, and he demanded me to say something and when I did he looked sorta blown away like he didn't expect it, haha! It's fun.  ;D

Hehehe...the old "real language" put-down. Tell me, does this person play Guitar Hero? Perhaps he should learn how to play a real guitar. Madden 2010 for XBox? Why doesn't he go outside and throw a real football around. The "why don't you learn a real language" argument is a load of bull, and the fact that you were able to dumbfound him with a Na'vi sentence is one of the great little pleasures of learning the language in the first place.

Kìyevame,

ta ngeyä tsmukan 'eylansì,

Kayrìlien

kewnya txamew'itan

If you found na'vi in a nutshell a bit confusing, maybe the crash course in linguistic terminology could help.

It basically explains all the silly words linguists (and unfortunately we) use to describe quite simple things.

Also, if you still have any specific questions (be it about where to place infixes or the use of the dative case), feel free to ask them and we'll try our best to help.

And tell that guy that na'vi can help you learn a real language, I'm now fitting posting in the Spanish board here in as part of my Spanish revision.  ;)
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Tsamsiyu92

Look at the gamerfaqs thing on the press forum, there youll find letskxea ayswirä (trolls) mindlessly using those arguments, and you can see how we owned them

Welcome to the community, the most friendly community ever found on Internet.

Navi-Are-Awesome

QuoteHehehe...the old "real language" put-down. Tell me, does this person play Guitar Hero? Perhaps he should learn how to play a real guitar. Madden 2010 for XBox? Why doesn't he go outside and throw a real football around. The "why don't you learn a real language" argument is a load of bull, and the fact that you were able to dumbfound him with a Na'vi sentence is one of the great little pleasures of learning the language in the first place.

Yeah, it's hilarious, and he's one of my biggest like school "enemies" if you should say, I have. We have a long history, and he says he liked the movie more than me? Well I didn't see him draw a over 9 hour drawing of it or anything like that, hahaha... But oh well! Byeeee (:

Swatao

Kaltxì tsmukan!  :D

I'm another noob in Na'vì, but, calmly I'm learning... (And I have 16 years, and without the portuguese, because I'm brazilian, I learning english too...   :o    And Na'vì too!  ;D)

But, in my school it's funny to see people talking to me curious to know a few things that Na'vì (which, compared with the Portuguese, it's totally "weird "...) :P

Welcome to the forum, guy! Enjoy the Na'vì language :)