Nightmare?

Started by Swokéyan, April 08, 2010, 07:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swokéyan

Heya, i was thinking about making a word for nightmare.
There is none yet in the dictionary, if it would get added it should be like Kanil or Kawunil (bad dream) right?

Oh and is this sentence correct?  Kaltxì ma frapo, aypo lu plltxe niNa'vi?
And this xD Oel numeie fì mip lì'fya!
Lurkin' the forums
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play)

Skxawng

Quote from: Swokéyan on April 08, 2010, 07:21:23 AM
Heya, i was thinking about making a word for nightmare.
There is none yet in the dictionary, if it would get added it should be like Kanil or Kawunil (bad dream) right?

I would hesitate on making any new words - and particularly in this case Kawnga unil would be more than sufficient without unnecessary confusion.

Oh and is this sentence correct?  Kaltxì ma frapo, aypo lu plltxe niNa'vi?
Not quite. 

Here's what I got when I translated:
Hello everyone, you(plural) are speak navily. ?

First and foremost, you're missing the question indicator 'srak' -- here you're asking a yes/no question.
I'm not sure why you used 'lu'  (the verb 'to be)
'aypo' would actually be 'ayfo' because the plural prefix ay+ is a lenitiave one, and would change the p to an f.
it should be nìNa'vi, not i.

Additionally I think you're missing an ergative/accusative marker to indicate who is doing what - since plltxe is being used here transitively. Since you(pl) are speaking na'vily  you would get the ergative -l  and na'vily would get the -ti

Finally you can't always translate phrases word for word, especially given that there are so few words to work with currently. Remember, when translating a sentence, translate the meaning instead of just going word for word.

I would write it:
Kaltxì, ma frapo. Ayfo-l tsun p<iv>lltxe nì-Na'vi-ti srak?
hello everyone. Can you(pl) speak na'vily?

you could also use the indefinite suffix -o here
Kaltxì, ma frapo, tsun tute-o-l p<iv>lltxe nìN'avi-ti srak?
Hello everyone. Can someone speak na'vily?

And this xD Oel numeie fì mip lì'fya!
If you use an ergative -l, there needs to be an accusative -ti in the sentence! What, in this sentence is being verbed? (what is being learned?) The language! So the language gets the accusative marker. Remember, when using adjectives, you need to add an a- either to the front or an -a to the back of the adjective to indicate the direction of the noun that it is modifying. Also, were it me, I'd use the infix <er> to indicate that the learning is in progress, and still being done:

Oe-l n<er>um<ei>e fì lì'fya-ti a-mip
Oel nerumeie fì lì'fya-ti a-mip.

hope this helps

"prrkxentrrkrr is a skill best saved for only the most cunning linguist"

Swokéyan

Irayo ;D that helped alot.
I just need to get grip on this spelling, its so difficult compared to our dutch!
Lurkin' the forums
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play)

omängum fra'uti

Here plltxe is actually intransitive as nìNa'vi is an adverb not a noun, therefore it can't be a direct object and take a noun case.  So no -l or -t/-ti.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!