Noob question...

Started by Oeyä Nantang, July 23, 2010, 08:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oeyä Nantang

Where exactly do the verbal tense fit into a word. It doesnt really say in the crash course and I am having trouble understanding it with NIAN. I feel seriously noobish right now  :(

Tsamsiyu92

It is not really hard at all. A verb has two infix position, in most (all?) non-compound verbs it is the last and second to last sylliable. They are right before the sylliable's first vowel.

Examples
L<1><2>u - lu (to be)
T<1>ar<2>on - taron (to hunt)
Tsw<1>ay<2>on - tswayon (to fly)
<1>om<2>um - omum (to know)

There are tree kinds of infixes, pre-first (e.g. eyk and äp)
tense/aspect infixes, goes where I marked <1> (e.g. am, ìm, ìy, ay)
Mood infixes, goes where it's marked <2> (e.g. ei, äng and ats)

Understand a bit of it now?

<ol> and infixes like <alm>, <ìlm>, <ìly and <aly> are to express that you have finished an action. Ofen like "have verbed"/"will have verbed" in English

Oe talmaron trram. I have hunted yesterday.

<er> and infixes like <arm>, <ìrm>, <ìry and <ary> are to express that you will be doing the verb or was doing it.

Oe tìryaron (I will soon be hunting)

Trram krr a oel tarmaron yerikit, palulukanìl tsalme'änga oet, ulte tafral oe tamul
Yesterday the time that i was hunting yerik, a palulukan saw me (ugh), and therefore I ran.

the <äng> is to express that the speaker is not happy about it.

If you still have questions, feel free to ask. :)

Payä Tìrol

There are a few exceptions:
noun si verbs have all of the infixes in the si.
Compound verbs like yomtìng have all of the infixes in the verb part of the compound. If a verb/verb compound, refer to the dictionary.
Oeyä atanìl mì sìvawm, mipa tìreyä tìsìlpeyur yat terìng

Pxia Säsngap

Quote from: Payä Tìrol on July 23, 2010, 04:40:29 PM
There are a few exceptions:
noun si verbs have all of the infixes in the si.
Compound verbs like yomtìng have all of the infixes in the verb part of the compound. If a verb/verb compound, refer to the dictionary.

As I understand it, it's in verb/verb-compound verbs in the <1>position of the "more important" verb. In yomtìng(as it was in an example before): yom=eat+tìng=give   Feeding is the action of giving food to another creature, so the give-part is more important. That's why you have to put all infixes into tìng.
So: yomterìng, yomtolìng, yomtolängìng, etc.

<0>is for special other infixes (marked in NiaN e.g.)
<1> is for tense infixes
<2> is for mood infixes

yomtìng --> yomt<0><1><2>ìng

In tsamsiyu92's examples there aren't <0>positions marked. You just put these special infixes(that are put into <0>) in <1>(in the examples) but before every other infix. As far as I know there isn't a rule in which order the <0>infixes are put into the words, but the order of the three types of infixes is set(like I've explained above).
Eywa ayngahu
Ma oeyä eylan aynga oeru yawne lu <3 ;D :D ;D

Payä Tìrol

Yes, but in any case, Taronyu's dictionary will mark infix locations, the <0> infixes always appear before the <1>s. There should never be a situation where something appears between a <0> and a <1> infix.
So if you see one infix marker, it will be something like s<0><1><2>i.

Pxia Säsngap

Quote from: Payä Tìrol on July 23, 2010, 05:35:42 PM
Yes, but in any case, Taronyu's dictionary will mark infix locations, the <0> infixes always appear before the <1>s. There should never be a situation where something appears between a <0> and a <1> infix.
So if you see one infix marker, it will be something like s<0><1><2>i.

Has awngeyä tsmukan already changed the dictionary btw? Which signs do mark the infix positions now? D'you know that ma Payä Tìrol?
Eywa ayngahu

Payä Tìrol

I believe he changed it recently so they're shown as dots halfway down the line, above where the periods used to mark syllables are, although I don't update my copy nearly as often as he seems to update the version.

Taronyu

Yes. In the IPA section, that's the [...], the periods now mark syllables (which is standard IPA), and the mid dot now marks where the infixes go. For the most part they are normal - look at the compound word verbs in particular to find issues.

Pxia Säsngap

Quote from: Payä Tìrol on July 24, 2010, 07:30:39 AM
I believe he changed it recently so they're shown as dots halfway down the line, above where the periods used to mark syllables are, although I don't update my copy nearly as often as he seems to update the version.

I copied mine in May. So this is also an old version. I knew that Taronyu wanted to change some things, but didn't know that he's already done it. :P  :D

Irayo ma Taronyu for the answer how they are marked now. ;D
Eywa ayngahu

Taronyu

May? Seriously?

I would suggest checking once a week.