"Oh-No and No-Thanks"

Started by Random Dude, March 26, 2010, 11:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Random Dude

Kaltxì everyone, I was wondering if the English idiom, "oh-no" could be said in na'vi as simply as "Nang kehe", or if there was something more I need to do to it... same with "no thanks" would it be, "kehe irayo"? If I'm sounding stupid right now Oeru txoa livu  :) I do not know if this was already discussed or not for I have not had the chance to see this entire Great site as of yet...
Kìyevame
Peu?

NeotrekkerZ

nang has to come at the end of the sentence (AFAIK).  "kehe nang" would translate more like "No!" in response to seeing something all of a sudden.
kehe irayo is the best we have right now.
Rìk oe lu hufwemì, nìn fya'ot a oe tswayon!

omängum fra'uti

Nang is also used with nìtxan, not on it's own as far as we know.  The idioms are, of course, suffering the issue you always run into translating an idiom.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Random Dude

cool, thanks so much for the info. can't wait for this to get larger in funtionality... if that makes sence :-\
Peu?

Tsamsiyu92

No thanks may be easier to translate and make sense with

no, but thanks. or something, i don't really know.

Ftiafpi

Yeah, I think "no thanks" would probably best translate to "kehe, slä irayo" or maybe more proper "kehe, slä ngaru seiyi irayo".

"Oh-no" is more like "this is not good!" Not really sure the best way to render that into Na'vi though.

Kätsyín te Zotxekay Tsyal’itan

^Like they said above, idioms in our language is always harder to translate into Na'vi. I do like kehe, slä irayo for no thanks though.
old gallery link?id=1831[/img]

LearnNavi Forums:
"It's not an addiction...I just need it everyday."

Random Dude

ooo, good stuff, irayo... that info is goin' in "the big book of na'vi lang."  :) little sothing i'm using to organise all the new stuff i learn... more just a pile of papers right now rather than "book", lol
Peu?

Believe me, it starts as a random assortment of papers, but after awhile, it all becomes coherent. The language does the same soon after.

LearnNavi Forums:

Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan)

Just wondering, but wouldn't it be (for no thanks) kehe, slä ayirayo.  after all, the thanks is plural, or you could just go with "kehe irayo nga" (no thank you).  I'm not sure if that is gramatically correct in Na'vi or not, but it makes sense to me.
Also a member of the podcast known as Avatar Nation.  Come listen to our stuff! like us on facebook and chech out our blog at Avatar-Nation.net.

Random Dude

makes sence to me to... but is it correct for the lang? that's a good question, thanks for the input ;D.
Peu?

NeotrekkerZ

You're treating irayo like a noun, it's not.  It's an interjection which can mean "thanks" or "thank you."

Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan)

:O.  I see it that cute litte "i" after irayo now, thanks a ton mate, sorry for my mistake ;)
Also a member of the podcast known as Avatar Nation.  Come listen to our stuff! like us on facebook and chech out our blog at Avatar-Nation.net.

NeotrekkerZ

No need to apologize for mistakes, we've all made (and sometimes still do make) them.  We're all here to learn.  In fact a lot of our language updates are the result of these mistakes/general confusion.

Quote from: Random Dude on March 30, 2010, 12:35:33 AM
makes sence to me to... but is it correct for the lang? that's a good question, thanks for the input ;D.

Yes, literally it made sence, but for Na'vi it doesn't, but Neo explained that already. As a general rule, you have to break down what you are saying in English into noun, verbs, etc. and then translate that into Na'vi, making sure you follow lenition rules.

LearnNavi Forums:

Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan)

Wait, whats with the lenition?  it would have no consequence to the current post seeing as irayo has nothing to lenize.  Unless of course you are just saying that for a general guideline.

KxanìaTaronyu

Quote from: Kawng Palulukan Tutean (KPT) on March 30, 2010, 12:31:47 AM
Just wondering, but wouldn't it be (for no thanks) kehe, slä ayirayo.  after all, the thanks is plural, or you could just go with "kehe irayo nga" (no thank you).  I'm not sure if that is gramatically correct in Na'vi or not, but it makes sense to me.

Quote from: NeotrekkerZ on March 30, 2010, 12:57:27 AM
You're treating irayo like a noun, it's not.  It's an interjection which can mean "thanks" or "thank you."

Basically exactly what Neo said, but 'Kehe irayo nga' would literally translated to: "No thankyou you."
which obviously doesn't make much sense, but you could change it so it was something like: "kehe irayo ma sa'nok/sempul" or any other name...
"Oel kameie ayngati. Irayo ayngaru ulte Eywa ngahu. 'Ivong Na'vi aysmukan sì aysmuke. Aynga lu Eywayä ayeylan ulte aynga lu yawne oer. Kìyevame!" 

Quote from: Kawng Palulukan Tutean (KPT) on March 30, 2010, 10:34:28 PM
Wait, whats with the lenition?  it would have no consequence to the current post seeing as irayo has nothing to lenize.  Unless of course you are just saying that for a general guideline.

Yes, that was a general guideline.
Quote from: KxanìaTaronyu on March 31, 2010, 06:29:11 AM
Quote from: Kawng Palulukan Tutean (KPT) on March 30, 2010, 12:31:47 AM

Quote from: NeotrekkerZ on March 30, 2010, 12:57:27 AM

Basically exactly what Neo said, but 'Kehe irayo nga' would literally translated to: "No thankyou you."
which obviously doesn't make much sense, but you could change it so it was something like: "kehe irayo ma sa'nok/sempul" or any other name...

THe post you are talking about, what he suggested was this:
Kehe, slä irayo, which means;
No, but thanks/thank you.

I don't know about you guys, but that seems to make sense.

LearnNavi Forums:

NeotrekkerZ

Look at your quote box.  The first version he had "kehe slä ayirayo."  That's what we were responding to.

Ah, lol, my bad, I thought we were talking about Ftiafpi's contribution, which took the ay- away.

LearnNavi Forums: