Pardon/im sorry

Started by Scruffy, April 12, 2010, 11:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scruffy

I know that there already is a phrase for "im sorry" meaning you want forgivness for something you have done, but what about the for english phrase "pardon" as in you did not catch what the person said and you say "pardon" for them to repeat it?

Irayo

eanayo

Ma Scruffy,

as far as I know, there is no such phrase from a canonical source yet (though I might be wrong, I haven't been on top of things for some while now).

However, I suggested it during the initial phase of the LEP, although only with the lowest priority. So it might take a while until we get it, if at all.

Of course, there is nothing to stop you from coming up with an idiom yourself. And who knows, if people like it, it might even get approved by Karyu Pawl ;)

Kìyevame ulte Eywa ngahu!

Visit Our Dictionary for eBook readers, The Na'vi Word Puzzle Game and the Cryptogram Generator
srake tsun pivlltxe san [ˈɔaχkat͡slʃwɔaf]?

Tsamsiyu92

Why not rephrase it? like

"Forgive me, I did not hear what you said, can you please repeat?"

Skxawng

Looking in the latest incarnation of the dictionary, I recently discovered "Ngaytxoa" which is listed as meaning "sorry, my apologies (acknowledgment of guilt and regret)

"prrkxentrrkrr is a skill best saved for only the most cunning linguist"

Ftiafpi

I wonder if "ngaytxoa" is used like "irayo" where the proper form of apology would be:

Oeru si ngaytxoa
1-DAT make sorry/my-apologies
I am sorry.

or if it's different (based on the roots of "Ngeyä" and "txoa"):

Oe ngaytxoa ätxäle si
1 sorry request make
I'm sorry.

Or perhaps neither, and it's just used as a true interjection (which we have confirmed from Karyu Pawl):

Ngaytxoa
Sorry/my-apologies
Sorry/my-apologies

Anyway, to the OP, I would think that asking for forgiveness (oeru txoa livu) would be better than just a simple "sorry" but that's up to you.