Pivängkxo nìNa'vi Ko! Beginner Na'vi Chat Thread

Started by Alyara Arati, May 03, 2013, 12:07:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swoka Tsamsiyu

Kaltxì ma frapo,
Somehow I'm afraid I didn't come across in my last post. And I'll try again at the risk of being viewed as a whine.

Slä oe piveng fì oe ke nì'aw oe, slä nìteng aylapo na oe pesu lu aysnä'iyu nìwotx.
But I say this not only for me, but also for other people like me who are total beginners.

'uopefya aynga lam ke tslam futa aysngä'iyu nìwotx na oe peu aynga pamrel lu...
Somehow some of you don't seem to understand that for total beginners like me what you all write is just a bunch of gobbledigook. I struggle to translate but it does NOT inspire me to read, much less translate. It just intimidates the heck out of me. Half if not most of the words are foreign to me, and don't get me started about those darn infixes >:( And it just puts me off in a big way. For some it may be inspiring to try, but we're not all the same, for others like me it is just plain intimidating. I have no idea just yet what would work for me or how to go about it. (I'll let you know when I do)

Tirea Aean

I don't get it man. What is it you want us to do? We provide translations for you if you give up. The only thing more we can do is use hyphen-bracket notation to make it obvious what the affixes are. But then the Na'vi becomes a pain to read. And You don't have that notation to rely on later.

Srake l<iv>u fìfya sìltsan nì'ul? Oe-l fpìl futa txo fì'u-l nga-ti nitram sl<eyk><iv>u tsakrr oe fìfya pamrel s<iv>i.

Eana Unil

Mllte ngahu, ma Tirea Aean. :)

Ma Swoka Tamsiyu,

like I said before (maybe you've read it), I can understand how you feel. And I also understand, that you feel intimidated and thus demotivated. But please try hang on and to struggle against that.
Put another way: for learning a new language (which isn't easy, especially with Na'vi, because Na'vi is constructed to be (more) different from most languages on Earth) you need to hang on and prove some (self-)motivation. No pain, no gain.  :-\

Like Tirea said, we're already trying to make it easier for you and help you, because we want (new) beginners to learn and improve - with as much pleasure and fun as possible. If it's not enough (yet), please tell us exactly what you want us to do. That would be more constructive, I guess. :)

Maybe it would be a bit more of help if someone practices with you outside of this thread so that you make progress in learning regardless of what's happening here  :-\ What would help you learn and improve in your opinion? (Learning/improving with the help of this thread doesn't have to work for everyone.)

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Eana Unil on May 14, 2013, 11:08:16 AM
Mllte ngahu, ma Tirea Aean. :)

Ma Swoka Tamsiyu,

like I said before (maybe you've read it), I can understand how you feel. And I also understand, that you feel intimidated and thus demotivated. But please try to struggle against that. Put another way: for learning a new language (which isn't easy, especially with Na'vi, because Na'vi is constructed to be (more) different from most languages on Earth) you need to hang on and prove some (self-)motivation. No pain, no gain.  :-\

Like Tirea said, we're already trying to make it easier for you and help you, because we want (new) beginners to learn and improve - with as much pleasure and fun as possible. If it's not enough (yet), please tell us exactly what you want us to do. That would be more constructive, I guess. :)

Maybe it would be a bit more of help if someone practices with you outside of this thread so that you make progress in learning regardless of what's happening here  :-\ What would help you learn and improve in your opinion? (Learning/improving with the help of this thread doesn't have to work for everyone.)

I think what he said before is he wants to use Na'vEnglish. to replace some words. I'm not really a big fan of that, because it may develop into a vicious habit, and sometimes isn't easy to understand, and it has a blatant disregard for Na'vi grammar (and sometimes proper usage of words) and does not much to help learn the grammar and usage over time using it. *shrug* I will do anything I can to help out, maybe give some tips for reading comprehension. I'll go make a list.. :)

Ngawng

Ma Swoka Tsamsiyu, ngaytxoa!
Mate, I know how you feel, it all looks like gibberish and it can be overwhelming. I guess the only advice I can give (I suck at advice!) is to take it slow and break it down. The way of writing Na'vi that Tirea Aean talks about helps to highlight the infixes, prefixes and suffixes. <>=infixes, hyphens indicate prefixes or suffixes.

What also helps is to familiarise yourself with the idiomatic things in Na'vi, eg: Lu oe-ru ikran = I have an ikran

I agree with Eana Unil, maybe it would help to talk to someone outside the thread or something soooo if you have any questions/concerns I'd be glad to help you, just shoot me a PM :)

29.f.australia

Eana Unil

Quote from: Tirea Aean on May 14, 2013, 11:17:25 AM
I think what he said before is he wants to use Na'vEnglish. to replace some words. I'm not really a big fan of that, because it may develop into a vicious habit, and sometimes isn't easy to understand, and it has a blatant disregard for Na'vi grammar (and sometimes proper usage of words) and does not much to help learn the grammar and usage over time using it. *shrug* I will do anything I can to help out, maybe give some tips for reading comprehension. I'll go make a list.. :)

Hm, okay. In my humble opinion simply everything else is better and more helpful than using Na'venglish, whether you're teacher or learner. That's why I mentioned the possibility to help him outside of this thread, like on Skype or whatever/wherever. There are many ways and possibilities.

Swoka Tsamsiyu

Kaltxì ma frapo,
Yes, these brackets do help a lot. I know a few infixes, but not all of them. I have some 320 words in my memory now (working to expand that on a daily basis) but why are things there. When is something Dative and what does that mean? Yeah I do use the NiaN but that doesn't always make sense to me. When to use it, when not to use it etc... And the same goes for the Topical, Agentive and the rest of it. It's just so overwhelming.

I'am learning with someone off forum and he is awesome in helping out. We're 2 extremes on opposite sides. He very quickly pointed out that I have a near perfect photographic memory (hence why the Memrise works so well for me and why I like it so much), but when it comes to the structure and grammar I draw a total blanc. He on the other hand has perfect knowledge of the whole grammar/ structure but struggles with memorising. So this is rather funny, if we could swap out a little of what we have in abundance ;)

I guess it's easier when talking to someone via a headset instead of this little window which can seriously complicate things when trying to get something across. I greatly appreciate your combined efforts to help out though.

Tirea Aean

I recommend http://tirea.learnnavi.org :D[/shameless self plug]

This thread is getting a tiny bit derailed. Maybe we can keep this stuff to PMs or another thread? I think the current Na'vi discussion was about watching Game of Thrones or something. :-\

Eana Unil

Ma Swoka Tsamsiyu,

you're always welcome to quote and ask as much as you like to in order to understand as much as possible of the written stuff in here. :) So don't hesitate to do so and just take your time. No need to rush anything. Even if you ask the same question over and over again in order to understand - it doesn't matter, because the only important thing is that you understand it and make progress in a way which you feel comfortable and happy with. We're here to help you and others with that, otherwise this thread and others and all those resources wouldn't exist. ;)

If it those - and <> help you, I'll try to write this way from now on. Maybe first I'll write the sentence in a normal, fluent way, then again with brackets and stuff and then the translation of it. Imo that would be a way I could feel comfy with. ;)

When I started learning I began to take notes of everything, especially regarding the infixes and other grammar stuff. I've read Na'vi in a Nutshell and other stuff and written down the core of it on paper. These sheets of paper are still lying on my desk, ready to be used when I need them, which is still the case every now and then. Maybe something like this would help you, too. Just an idea. ;)

And concerning talking, there's still the LearnNa'vi TeamSpeak server, e.g.

And yeah, sorry, just wanted to say this before I return to topic.

Tay'waro

Quote from: Kemaweyan on May 11, 2013, 05:39:29 PM
Quote from: Tay'waro on May 11, 2013, 08:31:23 AM
Irayo, ma tsmukan.
Oe mllte ngahu, txo ngal tsole'a futa lolam oer meypa pa'o a teri tìftia hemlì'uä aep'ang, tsakrr oer livu tìkin a ivomum nì'ul fìtxelet fu säomumit rivun tsengo. Kxawm ngal omum pesengit? 

Peu ke law lu ngar? Nìngay tsun nga pivawm mì fìhapxì pängkxotsengä.

Quote from: Tay'waro on May 11, 2013, 08:31:23 AM
Vospxì lu a lì'uri oe pamrel soli tsafya taluna nolew piveng nìhno nìfya'o. Krra oe pamrel sami, tslamam futa fìkemit tsun fko sliva'tsu fa tenga fya'o apxey. 'Awvea fya'o lu san .. nume vopeyvea vospxì sik, pum amuve san ... nume vopeya vospxìo sik, pum apxeyve san ... nume vopeya vospxì. Fì'uri nìRuski tsun fko pivlltxe nìfya'o. Slä txo nìNa'vi zene fko pamrel sivi nì'aw san ... nume vopeya vospxìo sik, tsakrr oeru tìkxey ulte oel ayomum tsat.

Nìngay pxeyvea fya'o keyawr lu. Mì rel arusikx Norm poltxe san zìsìto amrr sìk, ha fì'u lu eyawra fya'o. 'Awvea pumìri lu oer am'a... Oel tslam futa nga new piveng, slä skxakep nìNa'vi ke tsun fko tsafya pivlltxe. Tsunslu fwa sweylu txo pivlltxe san fìkrr lu vopeyvea vospxì a nume oel lì'fyati leNa'vi sìk fu san solalew vospxì avopey takrra sngolä'i oe lì'fyati leNa'vi nivume sìk...

Kxawm ke lu law oer fwa frahemlì'u aep'ang tsun sliva'tsu fa fnel alu ke ... ke si, fu nì'aw kemlì'u alu kem si srak? Natkenong, san ke srung ke si sik fu san ke tìkxey ke si sik, tì'efumì ngeyä, ftxey tsaw lu eyawr, fuke? Fu, tsunslu fwa tsun fko ke lu a hapxìtsyìpìri a eo letstxolì'ua hapxì hemlì'uoä tsun kllkxivem, pamrel ke sivi srak? Kxawm fì'u mong ta ral lì'fyaviyä. Oe perawm ngaru fì'uteri taluna mì fuk aylì'uä lu 'awa lì'u askepek alu kekem nì'aw.

Srane, ngaru tìyawr, nìwotx. Mllte fralì'uhu. Leran fwa tsun fko txivula aylì'fyavit fa ketenga fya'o, txin lu fwa fte eltu tsakem sivi eyawr ulte ke tsranten fwa fa peli'fya fko plltxe.

Kamean

Quote from: Eana Unil on May 14, 2013, 10:24:59 AM
Sran, oe mllteie ngahu nìwotx :) Tenerìsì lu sevin, seykxel yueysì nìtxan ulte Tosìraki leiu me'em, slä sunu oeru lìfya leNa'vi nì'ul nìtxan. :P
Mllte mengahu!  :)

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Kemaweyan

Quote from: Tay'waro on May 14, 2013, 01:53:55 PM
Kxawm ke lu law oer fwa frakemlì'ut aep'ang tsun fko sliva'tsu fa fnel alu ke ... ke si, fu nì'aw kemlì'ut alu kem si srak? Natkenong, san ke srung ke si sik fu san ke tìkxey ke si sik, tì'efumì ngeyä, ftxey tsaw lu eyawr, fuke? Fu, tsunslu fwa tsun fko ke lu a hapxìtsyìpìri a eo letstxolì'ua hapxì hemlì'uoä tsun kllkxivem, pamrel ke sivi srak? Kxawm fì'u mong ta ral lì'fyaviyä. Oe perawm ngaru fì'uteri taluna mì fuk aylì'uä lu 'awa lì'u askepek alu kekem nì'aw.

Kehe, nì'aw kemlì'ut alu kekem ke si plltxe fkol fìfya. Nìngay sweylu txo pivlltxe san srung ke si kaw'it...

Quote from: Tay'waro on May 14, 2013, 01:53:55 PM
Srane, ngaru tìyawr, nìwotx. Mllte fralì'uhu. Leran fwa tsun fko txivula aylì'fyavit fa ketenga fya'o, txin lu fwa fte eltu zene tsakem sivi yawr ulte ke tsranten teynga fa pelì'fya fko plltxe.

Nì'it keyeyti zeykolo :)

Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Alyara Arati

Oe-l nìteng ke n<ol>ìn rel-it a-r<us>ikx alu Game of Thrones.

Pxay-a tute-l oe-ru p<ol>eng fayluta txo nga-ru s<iv>unu tute a mì fì-vur, frakrr tsa-tute terkup ye'rìn.

Fì'u lu ngay srak?

Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Swoka Tsamsiyu

Kaltxì ma frapo,
Oel ke nolìn mi Game of Thrones. :-\
I haven't seen Game of Thrones yet.

As for Teamspeak, my old soundcard will not tolerate it. Have tried it and it creates a major conflict unfortunately...

Alyara Arati

Quote from: Swoka Tsamsiyu on May 15, 2013, 04:23:32 AM
Kaltxì ma frapo,
Oel ke nolìn mi Game of Thrones. :-\
I haven't seen Game of Thrones yet.

As for Teamspeak, my old soundcard will not tolerate it. Have tried it and it creates a major conflict unfortunately...

Yeio'! 
If game of Thrones were a Na'vi word it would get a -it/ti ending, but *Game of Thrones*it looks a bit strange. :D

Ponguplltxeri, keftxo! 
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Ngawng

Quote from: Alyara Arati on May 15, 2013, 01:17:55 AM
Oe-l nìteng ke n<ol>ìn rel-it a-r<us>ikx alu Game of Thrones.

Pxay-a tute-l oe-ru p<ol>eng fayluta txo nga-ru s<iv>unu tute a mì fì-vur, frakrr tsa-tute terkup ye'rìn.

Fì'u lu ngay srak?

Nang! Oe-ri tsa-'u len trram! Hrh! Ngay nìtxan!

29.f.australia

Kamean

QuotePxay-a tute-l oe-ru p<ol>eng fayluta txo nga-ru s<iv>unu tute a mì fì-vur, frakrr tsa-tute terkup ye'rìn.

Fì'u lu ngay srak?
Ngaru tìyawr. Fìrelmì arusìk lu txana 'u alu violence & sex. :-X

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Tay'waro

Keyeyìri awawnìntxu, irayo, ma Kemaweyan.
Oeyä lì'fyavi san ... fwa frahemlì'u aep'ang tsun sliva'tsu fa fnel alu ke ... ke si, fu nì'aw kemlì'u alu kem si srak? sik, krra pamrel sami oe, mi ke amomum teyngta pelì'u zene livu subject san frakemlì'u sik fu san fko. Set tslolam tsata fko lu a lì'u zene livu subjekt ulte ral fìlì'fyaviyä zene livu san fko zene sliva'tsu ranit fu fnelit tsayhemlì'uä sik, alunta tsawmì kllkxem patience. Oel nìyawr tslolam tsat srak?

Slä fìkrrvay mi ke tslolam oel futa pelun lì'fyavimì san ... ulte ke tsranten teynga fa pelì'fya fko plltxe sik kllkxem lì'u alu teynga, ki ke pum alu fwa?

Kemaweyan

Nìngay lunit tseyä poltxe oel srekrr fìtsenge. Tì'efumì oeyä, tsaw teng lu nìwotx :)

Lì'fyavimì alu ke tsranten teynga fa pelì'fya, plltxe fko teri tìpawm, kefyak? Ha tsranten (fu ke tsranten) tì'eyng :)

Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Tay'waro

Ma smukan smukesì.
Oeri eltur tìtxen si tìpawm a teri tìralpeng aylì'fyaviyä. Tsun aynga ralit tslirvam nìyawr oeyä aylì'fyaviyä awawnan a oe ralpeng ta leRuskia lì'fya mì le'Ìnglìsìa pum fa ralpengyu a ta Google srak? Oe perawm fì'uteri taluna inan tìralpengit ayngeyä aylì'fyaviyä nìRuski a krr tsun tslirvam nì'aw hapxìt a munea pan 'upxarey lu. Kop molay' oe ivinan oeyä aylì'fyavit akrrmaw ralpameng sa'ut ta le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fya mì leRuskia pum , kum lolu teng. Nìwotx ralit oel tsleram nìlun, slä nivew ivomum tsat nì'ul sì nìswey. Ha oe fmayi nivume le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyati.