Shiaru's learning guide.

Started by shiaru, December 28, 2009, 03:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiaru

Well since i've been asked so much and since i've seen that my idea has been floating around a lot too I think is time I compile a step by step guide of how to practice Na'vi, the Shiaru way.

Step one:
Make a journal and try to write at least a sentence on Na'vi a day on it. (this is the idea that everyone is talking about, I really like the fact that everyone is using my idea. It really helps).

Step two: Try and use a new word, repeat said word at least 10 per hour. (you'll find yourself being able to identify it on the spot later on, and using it unconsciously).

Step three: Listen to a particular Na'vi excerpt from the movie with subtitles then try and repeat the intonation and the words as best as possible. (this could take many tries so use s mall sentence if possible.) Then write it down while listening to the excerpt.

There are more steps that I will write down later, If you go an idea reply with it, comments appreciated as well. ;D
Remember this method works thanks to Immersion, a state in which the human brain believes Na'vi to be important and thus will commit resources to learning it unconsciously. If you would like to know more on how it works ask me and i'll be happy to answer.  ;) 
~Oe lu tanhì taronyu.~

Maktoyu Palulukanyä

This sounds like a very plausible plan.  Is there a collection of the phrases from the movie with written translation and captions in Na'vi and English available somewhere?

Eywayä mokri

You can find all the sound samples of the movie on talknavi.com I think. :) But you don't have the english subtitles or so.
°°We don't forget anyone, we only get used to their absence.°°

Oldslappy

This seems more credible than my idea of word association. I do have a question though, can you add more than one word an hour, or is that just how this thing works?

shiaru

it all depends on the constrictions your individual brain imposes upon you. if you are able to learn more in a given time then by all means proceed, but I made this based on the assumption that we do have other tasks at hand and thus I made it to fit almost any schedule. But if you are able to learn more then go ahead.
~Oe lu tanhì taronyu.~

Tutee A-nawm

What about Prefixes, Infixes and grammar? Isn't that important to write a 'real' sentence? Or do you prefer to start with the words from the 'word-list' so you can remember them first, and then work on the correct grammar?

txum tukru

im learning the words alphabetically, first i learn all the ' words then all the A words and so on, i use a method like above, i write them down then say it, then write it down again then say it (repeating). when i feel comfortable about the word i start to replace it in everyday speech and say it as often as possible, also writing it down without looking. my goal: to memorize %90 of words then work on sentences!
pesu nga?          "who are you?"
Oe lu toktor.       "the Doctor!"
pesu?                "who?"
nì'aw, toktor.       "just, the Doctor!"

Tutee A-nawm

Quote from: txum tukru on December 28, 2009, 04:52:49 PM
im learning the words alphabetically, first i learn all the ' words then all the A words and so on, i use a method like above, i write them down then say it, then write it down again then say it (repeating). when i feel comfortable about the word i start to replace it in everyday speech and say it as often as possible, also writing it down without looking. my goal: to memorize %90 of words then work on sentences!

Thanks.. But you do know the most common sentences like Oel ngati kameie, and such?

Wow, you guys are so kind, I'd never guessed that I would get help learning Na'vi.. This is awesome..

Btw, how far have you got on the list, in how many days?

Eywa ngahu.

shiaru

Well I jump around the list, the human brain abhors pattern moralization, so i use a random vector approach. I just randomly choose a word I don't know then learn it. I don't want to learn it like a list because that is not how the brain learns a language, think about it, you never learned English by starting with the "A" words and then went on to the next set.

However a pattern might work for certain individual but I do not recommend it to everyone, only to those who are comfortable with it.
~Oe lu tanhì taronyu.~

tari

Quote from: txum tukru on December 28, 2009, 04:52:49 PM
Sounds like a huge drag.  I couldn't stand such rote memorization.  My approach thus far has been hanging out in IRC and Skype.  In the one day (today) I've been doing it, I've picked up several of the common phrases, as well as a couple each of the commonly used verbs, nouns, and pronouns.  Just conversing with others is an excellent way to learn, I think.

Less commonly used grammatical constructs will probably require some concerted studying, but I'm very happy with the level of progress I've made with this approach so far.

For those interested in some rote memorization of vocabulary, you might be interested in some flashcards.

I have yet to begin writing a journal of sorts, but it's on my own list.

Nume fpi sänume

Im still following my original method of a new 20 words every 3-4 days. Seems to be working well so far. I took 20 base words used every day, then the next 20 were words related to those 20.

Oldslappy

Ive actually taken little pieces from other methods floating around on this board. I'm currently using flashcards and memorizing words in order of importance. Most of the words I started out with were "yes no", really basic and essential imho. Ive just started implementing shiaru's technique, and it seems to be fine so far, although its abit daunting, because at first I was more interested in just learning the words than using the correct grammar, but Ive realized over the short period of time (2 days) Ive started, the two really go hand in hand.

I had no idea people where using skype to communicate though, that's brilliant.

Tutee A-nawm

Quote from: shiaru on December 28, 2009, 05:26:21 PM
Well I jump around the list, the human brain abhors pattern moralization, so i use a random vector approach. I just randomly choose a word I don't know then learn it. I don't want to learn it like a list because that is not how the brain learns a language, think about it, you never learned English by starting with the "A" words and then went on to the next set.

However a pattern might work for certain individual but I do not recommend it to everyone, only to those who are comfortable with it.

Nice idea.. Is it totally random, or just the random words you like when you choose them?

Irayo all :-D

shiaru

It is random but I do choose the ones I like, that way I already have some interest in learning them thus they become more important and easier to learn.
~Oe lu tanhì taronyu.~

Tutee A-nawm

Quote from: shiaru on December 28, 2009, 08:49:14 PM
It is random but I do choose the ones I like, that way I already have some interest in learning them thus they become more important and easier to learn.

I see..

Well, now I got a plan, no questions and a lot of determination. I can do this, I know I can. Thanks to Learnnavi.org, I didn't lost all hope.

Irayo everybody, irayo!!