Question for the better learners out there...

Started by Oe_Tsolun, January 08, 2010, 09:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oe_Tsolun

Where did you begin? so far i haven't been able to pick out a starting point with this language. I have just been skipping around depending on what i felt like... anyone have any good tips or anything to share with where to start or what to work on first?
<Insert witty/funny text here>

Mako

Started by learning grammar, then started learning vocabulary.

Ftiafpi

Same, I learned the grammar and didn't even touch the vocab, then I learned pronunciation and some common phrases/words, and I'm now starting on vocab.

I learned the grammar best by reading all the available information over many times, then trying the worksheets a few times, then translating various already corrected and translated sentences.

Jaysc

I suggest also for using Skype. There is always someone on there 24/7 and is very helpful, even if your just watching/reading.
One of the things i mainly started learning was pronouncing the basic alphabet (e.g vowels, consonant), then i moved towards piecing basic vocabs together. Most of the vocab i read/hear on Skype. When doing this, you need to know your Inflections well. (http://forum.learnnavi.org/index.php?board=21.0)

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Jaysc on January 08, 2010, 11:17:29 AM
I suggest also for using Skype. There is always someone on there 24/7 and is very helpful, even if your just watching/reading.
One of the things i mainly started learning was pronouncing the basic alphabet (e.g vowels, consonant), then i moved towards piecing basic vocabs together. Most of the vocab i read/hear on Skype. When doing this, you need to know your Inflections well. (http://forum.learnnavi.org/index.php?board=21.0)

Oh yea, forgot about skype, I 2nd and 3rd this suggestion.

Taronyu

Quote from: Ftiafpi on January 08, 2010, 11:30:12 AM
Quote from: Jaysc on January 08, 2010, 11:17:29 AM

Oh yea, forgot about skype, I 2nd and 3rd this suggestion.

I always suspected you were a bit schizophrenic.

The absolute best way to keep learning is to go over other people's posts and figure out what's wrong. The analytic mind remembers more than the memorizing one.

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Taronyu on January 08, 2010, 11:33:25 AM
The absolute best way to keep learning is to go over other people's posts and figure out what's wrong. The analytic mind remembers more than the memorizing one.

A LOT more. Probably the best thing is if you can get on to skxpxe (skype) when we're translating movie phrases, you learn (and remember) more in 2 hours of that then a whole day a of just reading stuff.

QuoteI always suspected you were a bit schizophrenic.

Are the voices in my head bothering you? If so I can ask them to be quite.

kewnya txamew'itan

Finding a piece of text you like and doing your best to translate it (don't ty to force yourself to memorise, feel free to use the dictionary and other documents), leave it and then try to figure out what mistakes you made, that and correct other people's mistakes which has the added advantage of making you seem allknowing.

Also, I'd transliterate skype as either skxaypx or skaypx, that's how me and my friends pronounce it (albeit a bit less ejective-y) at least.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Ftiafpi

Quote from: kawng mungeyu on January 08, 2010, 12:36:26 PM
Also, I'd transliterate skype as either skxaypx or skaypx, that's how me and my friends pronounce it (albeit a bit less ejective-y) at least.

Oooh, yeah, I like that a lot better. [back on topic]

Baron

Your brain is designed to understand grammar naturally, if all the technical words get you confused (they confuse me) then learn vocab instead.  Eventually you will notice patterns if you learn the different pronouns and such.  Eventually you can look at some phrases and start grasping what they mean just because you recognize words.  That is when you can relate it to whatever language you speak fluently.  At that point you should be able to just absorb things like a sponge.  Just remember to take it slow. Trying to memorize vocab for 5 hours straight won't help you at all.

Quzac

Has anyone used Ventrilo? It's a great server to use when speaking to people. I use it when I'm playing my various online games.

And, thus far I'm learning the grammar with vocab at the same time. I'm also trying to craft longer sentences to get the whole concept down. I seems to be managing myself thus far.

Ftiafpi

It would be nice for us to get a vent or teamspeak server for this but without paying for a server skype is the best we're gonna get right now I think.

Quzac

Well that's the thing. I have a couple of servers of vent that I use. They're being paid for, and I'm an admin on one of them. I can ask the one who pays for it if he wouldn't mind if we used it. He's usually good about that kind of stuff.

Or, if you all start 'playing' one of Elite kingdoms many games then you could pretty much use their server :P

I'll see what I can do.

Ftiafpi

Well, keep in mind if we did use it for learnnavi.org it would have about 20 people in it almost CONSTANTLY, plus, I don't remember if ventrilio has a chat feature which is definitely required for what we do.

Quzac

Lmao, only 20? My friends server is CONSTANTLY full with L2, and Cabal players. Himself, and I being just two of them.

Also, ventrilo does have a chat system, you just need to go to the chat portion. You also have private message system, and comments.

The Elitekingdoms server was designed for an entire gaming community, probably 4-5 private servers with hundreds of players on them all.

Either way, I've got the info, and with my friends server I'd just need to make accounts. On the other one, you just need the info.

Ftiafpi

Well, we'd probably want the one that only needs just the info. Check it out with that guy and then I'd suggest making a post somewhere on here about interest in replacing skype with ventrilo and ask about any other issues with using that server that people can think of.

Mako

Just got hooked up with Skype, random note. And I PMed you, Ftiafpi. Finally took the pic.

Tsamsteu

.how do i join the skype group? help rutxeeee  ???
"You have a strong heart; no fear. But stupid, ignorant like a child." - Neytiri

Neytiri, oeyä tsmuke, oel ngati kameie....

Quzac

Most definitely. I have no problem making the accounts. I just need to get a new mic. I accidentally ripped mine in half while walking. I'll check in on him, and if something comes up, then I'll just post the other info.

Swok Txon

I started learning how to pronounce things then learn the pronouns, some basic vocab to go with it then i started on the grammar