Re-thinking Na'vi names?

Started by Zhowìntll, January 17, 2010, 11:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhowìntll

Kaltxì,

Ok, so I'm new here; not trying to stir up the pot, however...

I think most of us might be headed in the wrong direction with our Na'vi names, and I think this is actually worth discussion.  If we're going to be at conventions in coming years, we should know our universe we are fans of, and currently, I think we're mostly missing the point with names.

Seems to me like most of us are taking Native-American-like names.  A lot of people are taking their birth name, looking up the ancient etymology, figuring out what it might have meant a long time ago, then translating as best they can to Na'vi.  This is creative, and probably a lot of fun.  But does it give you a name that Cameron's Na'vi might actually have?  I don't think so. 

Neytiri's full name is Neytiri, daughter of Moat.  Does Neytiri have a deeper meaning?  Do the names Moat or Tstutey have any deeper meaning?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see no indication of such.  As far as I can tell, Neytiri, Moat, and Tsutey are just names, no different than David, Jennifer and Lashanda.  I think Moat named her daughter Neytiri because she thought it sounded cool (and indeed, it does).  A name translating to "Rider of Ikran" might sound cool to you, but it's not culturally accurate.  Jake only got the temporary title of Toruk Makto because of something extraordinary he did.

So, what am I suggesting we do to create accurate Na'vi names for ourselves?  I see two options that make sense.  For me, it boils down to whether or not you consider yourself a native Na'vi, or an avatar convert, a la Jake Sully.  If you are a native Na'vi, then I think it's pretty much free game, so long as you follow rules of pronunciation (and perhaps there are gender-appropriate indicators that I'm yet unfamiliar with).  If you are an Avatar convert, then you keep your human name, and simply translate it as best you can, to a Na'vi pronunciation (Joe Weindl = Zhowìntll).

Your thoughts?  Agree/disagree?

Eywa ngahu.

Keylstxatsmen

I guess it depends on if you imagine yourself as part of the Na'vi or an outsider learning the language (like the scientists). :)  j/k

My name is more along the lines of what they would call me if they were to hear my name in English.  I think both are valid as a forum "handle".

-Keyl
Oeru lì'fya leNa'vi prrte' leiu nìtxan! 

Txo nga new leskxawnga tawtutehu nìNa'vi pivängkxo, oeru 'upxaret fpe' ulte ngaru srungit tayìng oel.  Faylì'ut alor nume 'awsiteng ko!

Kretän

I also thought about this when picking my name. I couldn't think of a translation, then I decided Its fine to just make a name up, since most Na'vi names arent translations anyway.

Zhowìntll

Keyl,

It feels like you're making light of the issue, because it is merely a forum handle.  Thing is, though, learning a fake language made up for a movie is not normal.  Simply by being here, we've all crossed the line and are deep in fanboy/fangirl territory.  Logic tells me that a few years from now, many of us will be at ComicCon, or some other sci-fi convention, with blue stripes on our faces.  Presumably, while there, we will adopt an alter ego, with a Na'vi name.  For most, I imagine the name being used as a forum handle will stick with them when they go to said conventions, and that name should be culturally accurate.

- Zhowìntll

Robert Nantangä Tirea

I agree with the sentiment presented here. This is one of the reasons I chose my name the way it is. I retained the "Robert" from my name so as to keep myself recognizable and familiar, and simply added Nantagä Tirea as a kind of surname/title ("Robert, Spirit of the Viperwolf"). Thought it sounded cool  :D

Na'vi doesn't have a "b" sound however, so I imagine it would be pronounced "Rovert" instead.

How does a man choose between fresh and fly?

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

The Pandoran

Quote from: Zhowìntll on January 18, 2010, 08:08:33 AM
Keyl,

It feels like you're making light of the issue, because it is merely a forum handle.  Thing is, though, learning a fake language made up for a movie is not normal.  Simply by being here, we've all crossed the line and are deep in fanboy/fangirl territory.  Logic tells me that a few years from now, many of us will be at ComicCon, or some other sci-fi convention, with blue stripes on our faces.  Presumably, while there, we will adopt an alter ego, with a Na'vi name.  For most, I imagine the name being used as a forum handle will stick with them when they go to said conventions, and that name should be culturally accurate.

- Zhowìntll
Will everyone be half naked as well?  :o

kewnya txamew'itan

Quote from: Robert Nantangä Tirea on January 18, 2010, 09:31:48 AM
Na'vi doesn't have a "b" sound however, so I imagine it would be pronounced "Rovert" instead.

A p is remarkably similar to a b. It would probably be ropert.

I like to think of the forum names more like titles (in the same way the Jake gets the title toruk makto) and so they are allowed to be literal. Anyway, in the Na'vi names thread, most of my posts have made it fairly clear that it's ok to contract it until it's unrecognisable (in the same way that there's no way you could guess that my name in RL meant tumult or outcry) so I'm not convinced it's that big a deal.

Also, if we do happen to go to a convention and go in persona, how many other people who go in character will be using literal names (like pretty much any superhero for example) so even an adopted name (like Kawng Mungeyu, which is clearly adopted due to it having an obvious meaning), not a given name (like Neytiri)  would not be that unfitting.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Ikranä mokri

we dont actually know if the names they have actually have a meaning
but most names in all cultures do. so we just taken this and applied it to our own names.
until we have a full language we cant fully understand it sooo...
u get my drift

Tirea Tskoyä has a new look see it[url=http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-

Keylstxatsmen

Quote from: Zhowìntll on January 18, 2010, 08:08:33 AM
Keyl,

- Zhowìntll

You're right in the fact that name should be as accurate as possible to the language.  We're not really sure how the culture itself deals with this now as the names from the movie do not seem to be built off words from the language like (stereotypical?) Native American names.  We all definiately have crossed the line in to fanboy/girl-dom as well, but I do it from my love of learning languages and watching the movie. If I go to comic con will be to talk with some comic artists and meet Cladia Black ;).

I'll get out of here now, because I have a bad habit of not being very serious about anything.

-Keyl

Oeru lì'fya leNa'vi prrte' leiu nìtxan! 

Txo nga new leskxawnga tawtutehu nìNa'vi pivängkxo, oeru 'upxaret fpe' ulte ngaru srungit tayìng oel.  Faylì'ut alor nume 'awsiteng ko!

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

If you don't think the way we handle names is wrong I'm fine with that. I think of our names as titles to who we are rather than a name. If we learn the real way of how the Na'vi come up with names I'm sure we would change our names.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

catherine

That was sound interesting! But I cannot relate because I don't know what the meaning of my name catherine in Na'vi language. Is it acceptable if I change it with cateyien? I know this is a little bit funny. How I wish I can relate with that Na'vi language.

Maria TunVrrtep

Well I originally registered with the name Tumpin which translated as Red.  My nickname is Scarlet, so I figured it translated. 
It was then changed to TunVrrtep meaning Red Demon.  It's also a nickname.
I don't see anything wrong with having a nickname and a given name.  My given name is Maria so it would probably translate as Mrrìa.
Just my opinion.
"Ke'u ke lu law a krr frakem tsunslu." -
    Margaret Drabble
("When nothing is sure, everything is possible.")

kewnya txamew'itan

Ma catherine, this topic has been dead 8 months and your post is only just on topic (it would fit better here which is also a topic that's been dead less time).

If you and tunvrrtep reposted your questions/decisions about names in thread I linked to I'm sure that would be fine.

Thread locked.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's