Retardled little question>

Started by guest2859, April 16, 2010, 08:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest2859

Okay, say I wanted to say 'was'.

I take be: 'lu' and add the inflection for Past tense, <am>

So, would 'lamu' be was?

'itan ayvrrtepyä

truely it depends how you are using it. can you give me a sentience?
Tìngay? Tìngay?? NGA KE TSUN TSLIVAM TÌNGAYÌT!!!!

Mrrvomun

Simple answer for a simple question:  yes.  

And, btw, that's not a retarded question:  I don't think that most people automatically see the connection between 'was' and 'is', so you're already doing better than a lot of people!

As my answer to that recent reply, he means that if you are saying something like 'I was thinking,' you'd be wrong.  But I think you mean something like 'I was happy,' which would make lamu correct.

(One last thing:  <am> is an infix, not an inflection.  Common mistake, I think.)

Eywa ngahu!

--Mrrvomun
If I bork up what I'm trying to say, even if it's not relevant to the conversation, please DO NOT HESITATE to PM me, and you will get karma!

wm.annis

Quote from: Mrrvomun on April 16, 2010, 08:32:32 PM(One last thing:  <am> is an infix, not an inflection.  Common mistake, I think.)

In grammatical terms inflection doesn't have to be only a suffix.  When you speak of Swahili inflection usually means grammatical prefixes; in Na'vi, infixes and suffixes.

guest2859

Okay, say like my User Title. Is it used right then?<<<

NeotrekkerZ

Quote from: Ean Ikran on April 16, 2010, 08:41:24 PM
Okay, say like my User Title. Is it used right then?<<<

What are you trying to say in your title?  I read what you have as "I was night's Toruk."
Rìk oe lu hufwemì, nìn fya'ot a oe tswayon!

guest2859

Well, I wanted to say I was Toruk Txonä (my old username), but I'm not sure how it would work in that case.

NeotrekkerZ

I'd put Toruk Txonä in quotation marks, probably to emphasize it, but lamu there is right.

The best way probably would be Fko sy<am>aw oeru san Toruk Txonä.  They called me "Toruk Txonä.
Rìk oe lu hufwemì, nìn fya'ot a oe tswayon!

guest2859

I'll go with the first one, just so I'm not having a stroke thinking about this. But yeah, I'll eventually learn up to your suggestion.