Rutxe nìn oeä aylì'u

Started by Mrrvomun, June 27, 2010, 07:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrrvomun

I've been trying to get back into the swing of Na'vi, now that the stupid Latin Regents are over.  Could someone check over this short paragraph (as well as the subject of this topic) and see if I wrote them correctly?

Kaltxì!  Oeru syaw fko Mrrvomunur, ulte oe plltxe nì'ìnglìsì pxìm.  Oe new futa tsun livì' nìNa'vi, slä nerume.  Kìyevame, ulte ayngahu Eywa!

Thanks!

--Mrrvomun
If I bork up what I'm trying to say, even if it's not relevant to the conversation, please DO NOT HESITATE to PM me, and you will get karma!

'Oma Tirea

Lam sìltsan, though I don't understand this sentence:

Quote from: Mrrvomun on June 27, 2010, 07:46:55 PM
Oe new futa tsun livì' nìNa'vi, slä nerume.

My guess at translation: "I want to be able to say Na'vi, but learning."  Doesn't make much sense — it's missing something....

Maybe you meant "Oe new futa tsun livì' nìNa'vi, slä nerume Oe lu," or maybe you were being informal.
[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Maweyatan

Quote from: ll.sxkxawng on June 27, 2010, 10:42:11 PM
Lam sìltsan, though I don't understand this sentence:

Oe new futa tsun livì' nìNa'vi, slä nerume.

My guess at translation: "I want to be able to say Na'vi, but learning."  Doesn't make much sense — it's missing something....

Maybe you meant "Oe new futa tsun livì' nìNa'vi, slä nerume Oe lu," or maybe you were being informal.

I don't think that "lu" is supposed to be there...lu is for verbs only. So basically if you wanted to say what you were trying to say it would be like this: "oe new fwa tsun livì nìNa'vi, slä oe nerume."

Kì'eyawn

Kaltxì ma Mrrvomun.  Let's take a look at this together.

...Oeru syaw fko Mrrvomunur...

Pretty good, but you don't need that dative at the end of your name.  
So, just Oeru syaw fko Mrrvomun.

Quoteulte oe plltxe nì'ìnglìsì pxìm.

Pxìm means "often."  We don't currently have a word that means "usually," or "mostly;" but if you're trying to get at the idea that English is your main language, you could say something like `Ìnglìsì lu oeyä lì'fya a'awve, perhaps.

QuoteOe new futa tsun livì' nìNa'vi, slä nerume.

Pretty good, but *lì' is not a word.  I think you meant to say "I want to be able to speak Na'vi," yes?  You already know the verb you need, plltxe.  Also, since futa = fì'u-t a =  "this thing that i want," "oe" needs to be in the ergative.

So, Oel new futa tsun pivlltxe nìNa'vi, slä nerume.

QuoteKìyevame, ulte ayngahu Eywa!

Nothing wrong here—you even remembered your ayngahu =)  Generally, you'll see this phrased Eywa ayngahu, but there's nothing "wrong" with changing the word order.

I hope that helps you, ma tsmuk!

Edit: And Maweyatan is right, you don't need that "lu" in there.
Edit 2:  Sorry, had a spelling error in my Na'vi =\  Fixed it.
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: tigermind on June 27, 2010, 11:11:17 PM

Edit: And Maweyatan is right, you don't need that "lu" in there.

Right.  Forgot that "nume" is a verb, not a noun or adjective.

Quote from: tigermind on June 27, 2010, 11:11:17 PM

Pretty good, but *lì' is not a word. 

o.o

Looks like it's been obsoleted in the dictionary for reasons I do not know, yet the word compounds remain.  IMHO, I prefer to compare "lì'" to "say" and "plltxe" to "speak," both Na'vi words being basically synonymous.

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Kä'eng

Mrrvomun: The oeä in this topic's subject should be oeyä, and aylì'u should be aylì'ut(i) as it is the direct object of nìn.

ll.sxkxawng: It was never more than a hypothesis. It does appear that the common part of lì'u (word, "speak-thing") and lì'fya (language, "speak-manner") is a root, but this doesn't prove that lì' is the complete root (notice how fya'o contracts to fya in most of the compounds it's in; lì' could likewise be a contraction), nor does it prove that this root can be used as a word all by itself. Since we already have a perfectly good word for speak, there's really no reason to keep something so speculative in the dictionary.
Ma evi, ke'u ke lu prrte' to fwa sim tuteot ayawne.
Slä txo tuteo fmi 'ivampi ngat ro seng, fu nìfya'o, a 'eykefu ngati vä', tsakem ke lu sìltsan.
Tsaw lu ngeyä tokx! Kawtu ke tsun nìmuiä 'ivampi ngat txo ngal ke new tsakemit.
Ha kempe si nga? Nì'awve, nga plltxe san kehe. Tsakrr, ngal tsatsengti hum!

omängum fra'uti

I'll echo the others about lì'.  It is just a contraction of lì'u, like fya (fyape, fpìlfya, etc) is a contraction of fya'o, and the like.  Lì'fya is literally "word way".  Like fya and tsa, it can not be used on its own.

Finally, there's something everyone missed.  With new, you need to use the -iv- infix, even when it's in the long form.  So it's "Oel new futa tsivun pivlltxe nìNa'vi, slä nerume"
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

kewnya txamew'itan

Quote from: ll.sxkxawng on June 27, 2010, 11:26:18 PM
Looks like it's been obsoleted in the dictionary for reasons I do not know, yet the word compounds remain.  IMHO, I prefer to compare "lì'" to "say" and "plltxe" to "speak," both Na'vi words being basically synonymous.

It was removed because it wasn't a word, along with a lot of the other 'roots' na'vi words tend to lose unstressed syllables when compounded, the root is probably lì'u with there not being a word *lì', likewise with the theorised *kll which is a contraction of kllte.

Because of this, there is no verb for to say, instead we have "plltxe san" which would probably work similarly.

Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: kemeoauniaea on June 28, 2010, 04:14:02 AM
...Because of this, there is no verb for to say, instead we have "plltxe san" which would probably work similarly.

Not just probably, almost definitely.

In the film, we have Eytukan saying, Poltxe oe, san zene kea uniltìranyu ke ziva'u fìtseng..  That seems like a pretty straightforward example to me.

And yes, apologies for missing the <iv> in tsun.  Irayo, ma omängum fra'uti.
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

'Oma Tirea

A tad off-topic: I have seen in the wiki that Eytukan says "pivlltxe, ma Jakesully." when Jake is about to give the message at Kelutral.  However, there is no <iv> spoken in the movie.  In fact, it actually makes more sense without the <iv> in plltxe since plltxe is a verb commanding enough on its own, like most verbs.  Could it be that <iv> is misunderstood somewhere?

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

omängum fra'uti

I clearly hear a three syllable word there not two.  The first part is spoken quietly but it certainly sounds like "pivlltxe".  But as far as "makes more sense" - both plltxe and pivlltxe are equally commanding.  Pivlltxe would have, at one point, been more correct and is perhaps a little more formal, but through changes to the language either would be acceptable.  If anything, the iv form makes it more clear it is a command.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Mrrvomun

Wow, that's a lot to digest!  Sorry I haven't been around, I expected to get e-mail notifications of replies, and they never came, so I assumed no one responded. 

There's too much for me to copy and paste all the corrections that you guys have made, so even if I didn't directly respond to it, please know that I have absorbed what you've given me. 

Pretty good, but *lì' is not a word.  I think you meant to say "I want to be able to speak Na'vi," yes?  You already know the verb you need, plltxe.  Also, since futa = fì'u-t a =  "this thing that i want," "oe" needs to be in the ergative.

Now that's weird.  I could have sworn that I saw lì' as another way to say "say", but I guess I just imagined that one.  Time to delete that from my personal Quizlet flashcards...

Oh, wait.  Just read the rest of the responses.  Alright, now I get it. 

QuoteFinally, there's something everyone missed.  With new, you need to use the -iv- infix, even when it's in the long form.  So it's "Oel new futa tsivun pivlltxe nìNa'vi, slä nerume"

Thanks, another thing to add to my notes!  (Seems like these indirect statements are the hardest things to learn in any language, from Latin to Na'vi!)

QuoteThe oeä in this topic's subject should be oeyä, and aylì'u should be aylì'ut(i) as it is the direct object of nìn.

Regarding oeyä:  it's interesting that you say that, because that's how I originally typed it.  But according to the notes I've taken from NiaN, the genitive is -yä only if the noun ends in o or u...oh, wait.  I misread my notes.  Got it. 

And about aylì'uti:  darn, I got so caught up in what I was trying to say that I totally missed that! 

Irayo, ma frapo!  If I had the power to change your karma, I would applaud each of you!

I do greatly appreciate your help with this, and in seeing how many people are still lurking around these forums after this many months, I've been inspired still further to continue my 'studies'!  After all, learning a new language is a never-ending journey, isn't it?

Once again, thanks to all.

--Mrrvomun
If I bork up what I'm trying to say, even if it's not relevant to the conversation, please DO NOT HESITATE to PM me, and you will get karma!

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on June 28, 2010, 02:34:16 PM
I clearly hear a three syllable word there not two.  The first part is spoken quietly but it certainly sounds like "pivlltxe".  But as far as "makes more sense" - both plltxe and pivlltxe are equally commanding.  Pivlltxe would have, at one point, been more correct and is perhaps a little more formal, but through changes to the language either would be acceptable.  If anything, the iv form makes it more clear it is a command.

Listened to the film again, and to my surprise, you're on top of it again.  The <iv> in "pivlltxe" seems a litlle subdued to tell at first, though.

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

kewnya txamew'itan

Quote from: Mrrvomun on June 28, 2010, 09:31:01 PM

Pretty good, but *lì' is not a word.  I think you meant to say "I want to be able to speak Na'vi," yes?  You already know the verb you need, plltxe.  Also, since futa = fì'u-t a =  "this thing that i want," "oe" needs to be in the ergative.

Now that's weird.  I could have sworn that I saw lì' as another way to say "say", but I guess I just imagined that one.  Time to delete that from my personal Quizlet flashcards...

That's because it was in the dictionary as a derived root, they've all gone now though as they encouraged people to use them as ordinary words and as if they were canon, neither of which were good things.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's