Starting Over

Started by Tsufätu Ayioangä, May 18, 2011, 10:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsufätu Ayioangä

I want to completely start over.  I have been learning for more then a year and a half now but I am still no more fluent then someone whos been here two weeks.  I have a hard time learning languages on my own because I don't know if I'm doing anything correctly.  AI also have a very dificult time remembering vocab or any kind of memorization.

What I need is someone who is willing to be patient with me and help teach me.  I'd even be willing to have multiple people for each of their strengths but I would really like to have something more to show for my time here then "Kaltxi, oel ngati kame, nga lu fpom srak?"

any and all help is beyond greatly appreciated. 

Irayo ulte Kiyevame.

Alyara Arati

I would really love to help you, but you need someone more advanced than I am as a teacher(s).  I can practice with you in Teamspeak if you don't mind that I can't think and pronounce things at the same time. :-X
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Vawm tsamsiyu

Maybe you can start adding new words to sentenced and just use them over and over until you memorize them then add a few more.
they killed the [you] tag

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Vawm tsamsiyu's advice is good advice. You can memorize favorite lines from the movie, or things like the Lord's prayer, or translations of famous phrases, poems, proverbs, short sayings, etc. Don't only memorize them, but work on them to get your pronunciation perfect.

Have you tried Project Ngaynume? This is an alternative approach to learning a language that is especially appropriate for visual learners (which a majority of people are). Self-study tools that work the same way are Rosetts Stone-like programs like 'Tree of Voices' or 'Seed of Language'.

Le'Eylan's Prezi lessons are also a fun way to learn vocabulary and grammar. they were developed for Project Ngaynume, but are available to everyone.

Last, but not least, listen to Tirea Radio. There are lots of little segments of properly spoken Na`vi given there.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Kamean

You may also start conversation in this thread, specially for beginners.
http://forum.learnnavi.org/projectshomework/pivangkxo-ninavi-ko!-(for-beginners)/new/#new

Two more nìNa'vi nì'aw threads.
http://forum.learnnavi.org/ninavi-niaw/tipangkxo-king/msg452450/#new
http://forum.learnnavi.org/am/plltxe-mi-na'vi-(oee-a-na'vi-ke)/msg452480/#new

And don't be afraid of errors and ask all that you don't understand. Everyone patiently correct and gladly helps you. :)
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Tsufätu Ayioangä

Yea I was in PNN but my outrageous schedule made it impossible for me to be on during any of the class times.

I've used TOV but I can't seem to get any lessons working except the first basic one.

I like the prezis and they make sense, but the problem I have is that I need to associate words with something else, like when I would use them.  if I don't think Id use the word, I wont remember what it is.  Same thing with words and phrases.

As far as niNa'vi threads, those totally intimidate me because my vocab is so terribly limited. :/

Kamean

Quote from: Aykerusey mì Terìran on May 19, 2011, 10:50:07 AM
As far as niNa'vi threads, those totally intimidate me because my vocab is so terribly limited. :/
Don't worry. You may use vocabulary. I've done that. Speaking is the best way to learn language.

Vawm tsamsiyu

As far as the na'vi threads go I just read them and if I don't know a word I look it up, it's slow but I've been getting better so just try that with small posts and respond even if you have to look up most of your post because you'll be actively using the same words repeatedly and they'll stick.

Also you can pick a new phrase or words and message us using them
they killed the [you] tag

Kamean

Quote from: Vawm tsamsiyu on May 19, 2011, 01:03:06 PM
As far as the na'vi threads go I just read them and if I don't know a word I look it up, it's slow but I've been getting better so just try that with small posts and respond even if you have to look up most of your post because you'll be actively using the same words repeatedly and they'll stick.

Also you can pick a new phrase or words and message us using them
That's what I went through.
As my friend Kemaweyan says, and I completely agree with him, convinced of his rightness of my own experience, learning words by themselves is useless, because they are quickly forgotten.
Talking, you learn the language as a child, naturally.

Alyara Arati

Quote from: Aykerusey mì Terìran on May 19, 2011, 10:50:07 AM

Yes, yes, yes; come chat ma Ayker!  Even if you have to use the dictionary a lot (as I did when I started), it's totally worth it.  You learn so fast!
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Kamean

Ma Aykerusey, there is a free teacher. ;)

Tswusayona Tsamsiyu

QuoteAs far as niNa'vi threads, those totally intimidate me because my vocab is so terribly limited. :/
don't worry about vocab because you can always look up a word. the thing you need more is basic grammar so that you can construct sentences. so I'd suggest to read some grammar guides just to know the basics. the advanced things you can learn later. and vocab will come on it's on. :)
Nivume Na'vit, fpivìl nìNa'vi, kivame na Na'vi.....
oer fko syaw tswusayona tsamsiyu

Blue Elf

Well, it is really hard to be self-learner, I know what I'm speaking about :) I'm learning for a few months and still doing stupid mistakes, although some progress can be seen, I hope.
To learn new words, you must use them. Try to write simple sentences a post them, others check and correct them. Good place is Word football thread here (although I afraid I'm the only player - now it is mainly my personal thread for writing random sentences, but it is still useful for me) or Vocab/Phrases subforum.
Or write short stories - we have also subforum for this. Or listen to Na'vi songs and memorize them (I do the same, but keep in mind that they may not be fully correct).
Also try KP's Na'vi workbook - it helps a lot, although it contains some mistakes too.
Simply - do anything and try your best, Eywa srung sayi ngaru :)  There is no result without work.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Human No More

I really should do the same thing... almost a year and a half, and I just know words and a few basic phrases :(
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Tsufätu Ayioangä

yea, I was a part of the neytiri project but my teacher just stopped messaging me :(

Thank you all, I will take everything you've said into account and start working on it all :)

Tswusayona Tsamsiyu

alright. good luck then.

P.S: congratulations for graduating high school.
Nivume Na'vit, fpivìl nìNa'vi, kivame na Na'vi.....
oer fko syaw tswusayona tsamsiyu

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Aykerusey mì Terìran on May 20, 2011, 10:25:08 AM
yea, I was a part of the neytiri project but my teacher just stopped messaging me :(

TBH I don;t think we fit, and I'm not really as good of a karyu as I hope to be (mungwrr (ay)lì'upam)

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Alyara Arati

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on May 21, 2011, 11:20:04 PM

TBH I don;t think we fit, and I'm not really as good of a karyu as I hope to be (mungwrr (ay)lì'upam)

If 'Oma Tirea is offering to help you with pronunciation, it would be a pleasure, and very helpful to me as well, to practice speaking nìNa'vi with you on Teamspeak, ma tsmuke. :)
~ Leonardo da Vinci

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Alyara Arati on May 22, 2011, 12:05:52 AM
Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on May 21, 2011, 11:20:04 PM

If 'Oma Tirea is offering to help you with pronunciation, it would be a pleasure, and very helpful to me as well, to practice speaking nìNa'vi with you on Teamspeak, ma tsmuke. :)

Mllteie nìwotx.  PM me if you're interested with available times you want to meet on TS :)

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Human No More

I'm hopefully going to have a bit more time again soon... so, I'm going to start again, not assume that I know anything, even things that I do remember (admittedly mostly only words) - I need some advice on the best way to get started.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman