Story Word Use Help

Started by Kekerusey, July 02, 2010, 09:42:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kekerusey

Hi,

I need some help with words (Na'vi translations) for something I'm doing:

• Quarry: He was seeking his quarry (I'm currently using "tìkan"/"target" but it is somewhat inadequate) ...
  • Forward: He moved forward along ...
  • Continued: He continued forward towards ...
  • Lay: He lay on a branch ...
  • Some [general usage]: He lay there for some time ...
  • Speed: He moved with thanator-like speed ...
  • Bury: The knife was buried in the ...
  • Victim:  The victim lay still ...

As far as I know none of these are in Taronyu's latest version of the dictionary so any help appreciated :)

Keke
Kekerusey (Not Dead [Undead])
"Keye'ung lu nì'aw tì'eyng mì-kìfkey lekye'ung :)"
Geekanology, UK Atheist &
The "Science, Just Science" Campaign (A Cobweb)

Taronyu

How about...

sutxtu - tracked thing, quarry
forward doesn't really have a Na'vi equivalent. Try and reword it.
continued would be something like k«er»ä ... going on.
lay is hard! Maybe: Po kä ne kllte... he went 'to the ground'
some is the suffix -o - trro is some time.
speed might be tìwin. But really: po rikx na palulukan nìwin works, I think.
put: yem mì hllte.  (put in the ground)
victim depends on what verb is being used against it. The hunted? The oppressed? the killed?

Hope this helps. More context is good.

Kekerusey

Quote from: Taronyu on July 02, 2010, 10:44:00 AMsutxtu - tracked thing, quarry

Works for me but I was "smacked down" ;D for assembling words so can I ask why "sutxtu" and not "sutx'u" or "sutx 'u"?

Quote from: Taronyu on July 02, 2010, 10:44:00 AMforward doesn't really have a Na'vi equivalent. Try and reword it.

????

Quote from: Taronyu on July 02, 2010, 10:44:00 AMcontinued would be something like k«er»ä ... going on.

Irayo :)

Quote from: Taronyu on July 02, 2010, 10:44:00 AMlay is hard! Maybe: Po kä ne kllte... he went 'to the ground'

Nìmun irayo... I thought I had used that (kinda had) but it wasn't right for the story so I changed it and now I can use it. Is it still correct even though the character in question is on a branch?

Quote from: Taronyu on July 02, 2010, 10:44:00 AMsome is the suffix -o - trro is some time.

"trr-o" and not "krr-o"?

Quote from: Taronyu on July 02, 2010, 10:44:00 AMspeed might be tìwin. But really: po rikx na palulukan nìwin works, I think.

Adapted & used, irayo :)

Quote from: Taronyu on July 02, 2010, 10:44:00 AMput: yem mì hllte.  (put in the ground)

Well ... doesn't quite work coz the knife is "buried" in the victim also, although the observer "put" it there this is taking place a few seconds later.

Quote from: Taronyu on July 02, 2010, 10:44:00 AMvictim depends on what verb is being used against it. The hunted? The oppressed? the killed?

The last one ... so "tsp<ìm>ang" as it just happened?

Quote from: Taronyu on July 02, 2010, 10:44:00 AMHope this helps. More context is good.

Srane, irayo ... I can't give more context here (no big secret but I'm not quite ready to post it in open forum) but I can send you the document by PM if you're interested ... you could probably use the [howlingly derisive] laughter if you want?

Irayo Taronyu

Keke

Taronyu

Well, -tu is a suffix, so you can use it whenever, really. Pretty productive. Thus sutx-tu means thing which is tracked.

Try and reword the english, I mean. As in: he moved away...

I'm not sure if ne kllte works well...but it works slightly. and that's something, right?

Yeah, it would be krro. My bad!

Buried in a victim? I'm not sure, then. Hmm. Bury is metaphoric in nature, anyway, so...maybe just go for put.

and I'll wait for everything. No reason to rush your creation. :)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Taronyu on July 02, 2010, 12:42:40 PM

Buried in a victim? I'm not sure, then. Hmm. Bury is metaphoric in nature, anyway, so...maybe just go for put.

With a little rewording, this might work: tolul kxamlä {victim} Ran through the {victim} You can play around with the infix in tul to get various meanings.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Kekerusey

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on July 02, 2010, 03:47:37 PMWith a little rewording, this might work: tolul kxamlä {victim} Ran through the {victim} You can play around with the infix in tul to get various meanings.

Thanks ... I'll do that :)

Keke

Carborundum

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on July 02, 2010, 03:47:37 PM

With a little rewording, this might work: tolul kxamlä {victim} Ran through the {victim} You can play around with the infix in tul to get various meanings.
"Run" is in this case a whole lot more metaphoric/idiomatic than "bury", so this is not an approach I'd recommend.
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: Carborundum on July 02, 2010, 04:31:43 PM
Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on July 02, 2010, 03:47:37 PM

"Run" is in this case a whole lot more metaphoric/idiomatic than "bury", so this is not an approach I'd recommend.

"Run" is seriously idiomatic; but what about takuk?  E.g.,

Fa tstal peyä tolakuk pol kamlä tokx swiräyä

Kefyak?
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Kekerusey

Quote from: tigermind on July 02, 2010, 05:52:50 PM"Run" is seriously idiomatic; but what about takuk?  E.g.,

Fa tstal peyä tolakuk pol kamlä tokx swiräyä Kefyak?

Well I could use that when he kills his victim but not in this bit ... this is [a few seconds] after the fact (looking down at the weapon buried in his victim). Imagine you've just killed an enemy, an enemy you've wanted dead a long time ... imagine how you'd feel and then the moment you look at that enemy's remains in front of you ... right there is the moment I'm trying to describe only I (as the storyteller) am focussing on the knife to do it :)

Keke