Started by Txontsawke, May 20, 2010, 08:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txontsawke

How would you say "I lost the game" nìNa'vi? XD
Nga kivame zene, skxawng!

My sig is boring.

Feiane

Darn, now I just lost the game...

Click >> fìtsenge << to learn about a na'vi nì'aw game I'm hosting in a week or two. Please join!

omängum fra'uti

We have a word lose, but I am guessing that is misplace, not lose a competition.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Tsamsiyu92

Ngal uvanit tìlmatep.
You have just lost the game

Even though tatep may be lost as in a competition, we can use it until a canon source tell us not to.

Above words is proven to not bear truth, therefore they are striked through.

kewnya txamew'itan

I feel obliged to post this as a public service:

http://xkcd.com/391/
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: Tsamsiyu92 on May 21, 2010, 01:58:22 AM
Ngal uvanit tìlmatep.

Even though tatep may be lost as in a competition, we can use it until a canon source tell us not to.
You can use whatever you want, it doesn't make it correct though.  I'm 90% sure that tatep is the misplace kind of lose, but I could still be wrong.

I personally wouldn't even use it that way though.  I'd highly encourage discretion with anything that is undetermined or unclear, it can be rather difficult to unlearn something, especially when you've been using it awhile.

Tsamsiyu92

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on May 21, 2010, 04:11:43 AM
Ngal uvanit tìlmatep.

You can use whatever you want, it doesn't make it correct though.  I'm 90% sure that tatep is the misplace kind of lose, but I could still be wrong.
But let's wait for cannonical source before caring about that.

omängum fra'uti

Or before, say, using it in a sig and spreading it around?  If you're going to play the "wait for a canon source" card, that goes both ways.

But that is neither here nor there. Since this is the beginner forum and people come here to learn, I feel it is important people understand the level of reliability of answers here, I am merely reminding people that it is likely not the corrrect meaning of the word.  There is already enough old incorrect information floating around without adding more.

agent1022

Ngal uvanit tìlmatep.

I've been using ngal tìmatep uvanit nìtxan nang for a while, if that works.

Ngima palulukantsyìp ngim lu

Txontsawke

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on May 21, 2010, 04:41:03 AM
Or before, say, using it in a sig and spreading it around?  If you're going to play the "wait for a canon source" card, that goes both ways

I wasn't going to put it in my sig. I was just thinking of a creative way to make a friend lose the game, but I'll wait until we learn the right word I guess.

My sig is boring.

Feiane

He was talking about Tsamsiyu92 using it in his sig.

Click >> fìtsenge << to learn about a na'vi nì'aw game I'm hosting in a week or two. Please join!

Txontsawke

Quote from: Feiane on May 21, 2010, 01:30:32 PM
He was talking about Tsamsiyu92 using it in his sig.

Whoops XD didn't notice that.

My sig is boring.

omängum fra'uti

Well, I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong...  It isn't lose as in misplace.

But it isn't lose as in fail either.

It is lose, as in lose track of.  The sole usage is from the video game, "Tìkan tawnatep!" - target lost. (Don't ask about the non attributed passive participle, I honestly don't know.)

Tsamsiyu92

omängum fra'uti

Well, Frommer has already answered, that is what I was reporting.  It means to lose track of something.

Tsamsiyu92

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: Tsamsiyu92 on May 21, 2010, 04:58:29 PM
OK. *removes sig*
I did also ask for an alternate word that could be used, but did not get a response on that part.  (I didn't entirely expect it, but one can hope, right?)

Tsamsiyu92

^Oel tsawit silpey nìteng.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

No word for 'win', either (for a construct 'we did not win the game'). Something tells me that both of these words/meanings 'slipped through the cracks' in the Lexical Expansion Project.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

omängum fra'uti

The word for "win" is indeed in the LEP B list.  The word for "lose" in that sense however is not.