Translation

Started by MIPP, August 28, 2010, 03:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIPP

Hi!

I'd like to say that if it is not the right section, then I'd ask to a moderator to move it, if he doesn't mind.
So, I created a .docx document (I know it should be .PDF, but I can't create a .PDF).
Here's the original link: https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B2LIRTloDL3xNjkzNmIwMGMtODMyYi00NjY0LThjYTMtNmJkNzVlYmI5NGYz&hl=pt_PT

About this one, I'd ask to someone who can to convert ir into a .PDF and post it here, so that I can ask to a moderator to put the new link in the thread with useful links for begginers.

But the most important is that I translated this document into English, as well.
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B2LIRTloDL3xMjdiOGRjNWItZjE4YS00YWVkLWFlYTAtMjA3ODM5NzA0ODUw&hl=pt_PT

So, once again, I'd ask to someone to convert it into a .PDF, but first I'd like to ask to someone to read it and correct the mistakes (my english is not perfect, by the way).
Then, put here the link so that I can ask to a moderator to put it in the thread I said above.

Thank you :)
Na'vi for beginners | Dict-Na'vi.com

Hufwe lìng io pay, nìfnu slä nìlaw.
Loveless, Act IV.

Tängal

Ok here is your original version. about English version I'll check it in free time and also publish it. So it should be today or tomorrow. For now Portuguese one (it is Portuguese, am I right?).

ngima tstal, pxia tstal
frusìpa fngap na nantang

MIPP

Quote from: Tängal on August 28, 2010, 03:58:01 PM
Ok here is your original version. about English version I'll check it in free time and also publish it. So it should be today or tomorrow. For now Portuguese one (it is Portuguese, am I right?).

Yup :) Thank you so much  :D

Loveless, Act IV.

Tängal

No problem, my pleasure ;)
Here is English part seem to be ok. I found only one problem, but I fixed it. If I will find anything more then I'll update it :)

ngima tstal, pxia tstal
frusìpa fngap na nantang

kewnya txamew'itan

Diacrtic on ll is wrong, it should be syllabic not long. Also, whilst <rr> is [r], [r] isn't usually syllabic so should also have the syllabic diacritic (here's a link so you know what it looks like). V has the ejective diacritic, I'm guessing that's a typo though. tx's IPA is missing an ejective diacritic.

Whilst name is a correct translation of the Portuguese, the English term on page three is noun.

I don't like the translation of t<ol>aron on page 5, early on in na'vi's life just after we got the infixes the official Frommerian translations of tolaron and tamaron were the other way around. I'm not sure that's entirely accurate, but tolaron certainly isn't the perfect and has a lot more in common with English's simple past and Spanish's (so possibly Portuguese)'s preterite tenses.

Under subjunctive, the second example you give is an optative not conjunctive.

Mood has a very specific meaning in grammar and includes the subjunctive. It does not include <ei> and <äng>, we usually call these affectual infixes.

The genitive is a case.

I wouldn't give those deriving affixes in a "for dummies" guide, they're not productive (except possibly -yu and -tu) and could lead to people being lazy and not looking for appropriate words and just  deriving one incorrectly.

Also, remember that the pocket guide was taken down because it was inaccurate, so just keep that in mind when using it. NiaN is a good resource on the other hand.

Anyway, besides those few small, easily fixable mistakes, this is a good project and certainly fills a gap left by the pocket guide as a pre-NiaN guide. Well done. :)
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Tängal

Quote from: kewnya txamew'itan on August 29, 2010, 03:26:25 AMDiacrtic on ll is wrong, it should be syllabic not long. Also, whilst <rr> is [r], [r] isn't usually syllabic so should also have the syllabic diacritic (here's a link so you know what it looks like). V has the ejective diacritic, I'm guessing that's a typo though. tx's IPA is missing an ejective diacritic.

Whilst name is a correct translation of the Portuguese, the English term on page three is noun.

I have corrected those first two points and send corrected version to MIPP.

BTW:
++karma ma MIPP, great project ;)

ngima tstal, pxia tstal
frusìpa fngap na nantang

MIPP

Quote from: Tängal on August 29, 2010, 03:43:25 PM
Quote from: kewnya txamew'itan on August 29, 2010, 03:26:25 AMDiacrtic on ll is wrong, it should be syllabic not long. Also, whilst <rr> is [r], [r] isn't usually syllabic so should also have the syllabic diacritic (here's a link so you know what it looks like). V has the ejective diacritic, I'm guessing that's a typo though. tx's IPA is missing an ejective diacritic.

I have corrected those first two points and send corrected version to MIPP.

BTW:
++karma ma MIPP, great project ;)

I'd need the .PDF file, if you can convert it.

P.S. I was trying to give you karma, I did it already in other posts, but now I don't know where it is  :(

EDIT: Done.

Loveless, Act IV.

Tängal

Quote from: MIPP on August 29, 2010, 03:48:33 PMI'd need the .PDF file, if you can convert it.
All is already in PDF at the old link ;)

Quote from: MIPP on August 29, 2010, 03:48:33 PMP.S. I was trying to give you karma, I did it already in other posts, but now I don't know where it is  :(

Oe ngaru irayo seiyi, ma tsmuk :)

ngima tstal, pxia tstal
frusìpa fngap na nantang

MIPP

Quote from: Tängal on August 29, 2010, 04:15:31 PM
Quote from: MIPP on August 29, 2010, 03:48:33 PMI'd need the .PDF file, if you can convert it.
All is already in PDF at the old link ;)

Quote from: MIPP on August 29, 2010, 03:48:33 PMP.S. I was trying to give you karma, I did it already in other posts, but now I don't know where it is  :(

Oe ngaru irayo seiyi, ma tsmuk :)

Now I'd ask to kewnya to put those two links in the thread with links to useful documents. Also, be careful as the portuguese version is already there, you just need to edit the link  :D

Loveless, Act IV.

kxamtxon nantang

what is the na'vi word for "call" as in calling someone?
In my heart there is a fire,
of burning rage and love's desire.

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: kxamtxon nantang on September 16, 2010, 07:47:33 PM
what is the na'vi word for "call" as in calling someone?

Well, the Na'vi don't have telephones ;), but the verb "to call (to s.o.)" is syaw, and it uses the dative:  So, "I call to you" is Oe ngaru syaw.  This is also the verb used to say what your name is.  E.g., Oeru fko syaw Kì'eyawn—literally, "One calls me Kì'eyawn."
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

MIPP,
    Can't speak Portugese, so I can't help you with your document, but it sounds like you have done well.
    Get yourself a copy of OpenOffice. http://www.openoffice.org It can handle Docx, (and just about everything else) and create PDF's. I am almost certain it has a Portugese language pack for it. Best yet, it is free!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

MIPP

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on September 17, 2010, 12:38:19 AM
MIPP,
    Can't speak Portugese, so I can't help you with your document, but it sounds like you have done well.
    Get yourself a copy of OpenOffice. http://www.openoffice.org It can handle Docx, (and just about everything else) and create PDF's. I am almost certain it has a Portugese language pack for it. Best yet, it is free!

I'll try to do it, maybe next month. Thank you.

Loveless, Act IV.