Translation help for Avatar novel; Recombinant Wild Lands

Started by JforA, January 20, 2024, 06:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toliman

Nice :) It sounded a bit chinese when I saw it for the first time.

Tìtstewan

I know nothing about Chinese name pronounciation, but I think if the name of the character is Zhâng Qiáo, I'd say it could be either Tsang Kìaw or Tsang Kìew. The thing is, I am not sure how to transcribe "Qiáo" properly into Na'vi as I don't know the pronounciation of it. Also it could depends in which chinese dialect it is.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Toliman

I would say that Tsang Kìaw is quite good idea, although Qiao is really super difficult to transcribe into Na'vi.

JforA

Quote from: Tìtstewan on February 06, 2024, 12:00:06 PMI know nothing about Chinese name pronounciation, but I think if the name of the character is Zhâng Qiáo, I'd say it could be either Tsang Kìaw or Tsang Kìew. The thing is, I am not sure how to transcribe "Qiáo" properly into Na'vi as I don't know the pronounciation of it. Also it could depends in which chinese dialect it is.

Dialect! yeah that would also factor and Zhâng is Chinese American so the accent would affect his pronunciation. Qiáo sounds like Ciao, but /TCH/ and the dipthong /aʊ/ is foreign to Na'vi. The Na'vi do have the vowels /a/ and /ʊ/ but separately. The closest would be /aw/ Either way, hearing the name Qiáo would take some trial and error to pronounce in Na'vi so it was smoothened to Kew first time round. Kìaw is more on the mark.
Kernel Kwartikx oeyä yawnetu

Toliman

Tìtstewan

Quote from: JforA on February 06, 2024, 12:41:02 PMQiáo sounds like Ciao, but /TCH/ and the dipthong /aʊ/ is foreign to Na'vi.
If that's the case, the I'd write it as Tsyiaw or Tsyìaw which, I guess, is very close to Qiáo. :) Plus, you avoid the possible confusion with "Kew".

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

JforA

Quote from: Tìtstewan on February 06, 2024, 01:33:08 PM
Quote from: JforA on February 06, 2024, 12:41:02 PMQiáo sounds like Ciao, but /TCH/ and the dipthong /aʊ/ is foreign to Na'vi.
If that's the case, the I'd write it as Tsyiaw or Tsyìaw which, I guess, is very close to Qiáo. :) Plus, you avoid the possible confusion with "Kew".
Tsang Tsyìaw... now that is very nice. It definitely sounds Chinese.  :ikran: Irayo

JforA

Would anyone be interested in constructing a Na'vi song with me? It's for Spider's waytelem. I can easily do the lyrics but I would need help with translation as this kid is fluent.

Toliman

Song - it would be more difficult but we can try it :)

JforA

Great! I'm thinking of three sections with two breaks for a chorus. Starting with the chorus first, it would encompass his attitude about who he is. Child of the Forest or the like? What are you guys takes on what kind of lyrics he'd write?

Toliman

Quote from: JforA on February 06, 2024, 02:20:01 PMhis attitude about who he is. Child of the Forest or the like?
Yeah, something like that :)

JforA

"Born in white. My ancestors were shadows." / "Toruk Makto, you found me." / "To the Para's, you wove me." / "To Kiri you brought me."/ "And my song was born.

"O, Child of the Forest. Run to your hearts content."

"Born all white. I could not be Na'vi." / "Neytiri, you smiled on me." / "Neteyam, you hunted with me." / "Zack you relied on me."/ "And my song was born."

"O, Child of the Forest. Run to your hearts content."

This is a rough idea, not wanting it to be translated exactly but to capture the essence of it in Na'vi in the favour of rhyme.

Tirea Aean

I love this :D Very Na'vi/Pandora flavored :)

I think the only real rough patch I see is trying to translate "Run to your heart's content" in a way that doesn't have like 30 syllables and maintains the idea and the pleasant-sounding-ness of the original phrasing

I would give it a go, but I unfortunately don't have time right now  :'(
I'll try to come back later?
In the meantime, I'm sure others have some thoughts :D

Toliman

Tìtstewan

JforA

Wow, I wasn't expecting so much enthusiasm. My thanks to all off you.  :ikran: I hope it's fun.

Toliman

Kea tìkin :)

I like idea of that song, sounds nice :)

Toliman

Okay, there is my idea :) I am not sure about it, maybe someone make something better, but I put it here :)

'Ongokx sa'lengmì ateyr, ayfizayu oeyä lu ayuk
Ma Toruk Makto, ngal rolun oeti
Ma Para, nga toläftxu oefpì
Ma Kiri, ngal molunge oeti
Ulte way oeyä 'olongokx

Ma 'eveng na'rìngä, lawnol livu mì te'lan ngeyä

'Ongokx pxel nì'aw sawtute, oe ke tsun livu Na'viyä hapxì
Ma Neytiri, nga lrrtok soli oeru
Ma Neteyam, nga tolaron oehu
Ma Zack, ngal spolaw oet
Ulte way oeyä 'olongokx

Ma 'eveng na'rìngä, lawnol livu mì te'lan ngeyä

JforA

Oh my word I love reading it. You even had the final verses rhyme. Oeru, oehu, oet! It sounds so nice  :ikran:  Thank you for this lovely effort  :D

Toliman