Help Verifying Na'vi Phonetic Conversion

Started by Tseysì, April 02, 2024, 09:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tseysì

Kaltxì! I am an aspiring learner of Na'vi, so to begin understanding the language's orthography, I have been working on converting my name into the language's writing.

I understand that the format for masculine names is [given name] te [surname] [father's name]'itan.

My own name is Chase, my surname is pronounced VEE-uh, and my father's name is Jason. My first attempt had: Tseys te Via te Tsyeysìn'itan. Does this seem generally correct? I imagined ts would be used to render ch; interestingly, tsy was used to represent the j in Jake Sully's name—Tsyeyk Suli—so I used the same for Jason. Can anyone verify or give advice on this attempt? Thank you for your time, and all the best to fellow learners! Irayo!

(I have considered using my name's literal etymology instead to create a title or nickname [Chase comes from a nickname for a "hunter"; my middle name means "cloud"]. However, I am not sure how to render "hunter from the clouds" or some similar phrase in Na'vi. I understand that "hunter" is taronyu and "cloud" is pìwopx, but I do not yet have the knowledge to combine them!)

Toliman

Kaltxì ulte zola'u nìprrte  :)

Your Na'vi name seems to be good.

Hunter from the clouds would be Taronyu ta ayfìwopx or just Taronyu ta fìwopx :)

Syatikrel

Lì'uteri alu Tseys ke tsun 'ivi'a Säfa.

Syatikrel [sja.ˈtik̚.ɾɛl] (Lì'fya leNa'vi Nä'rìngä)/Shatikrel [ʃa.ˈtik̚.ɾɛl] (Lì'fya leNa'vi Wione)
SatIqrel [ʂɑ.tʰɪqʰ.ˈrɛl] (tlhIngan Hol)
Shatikrel [ʃə.ˈt̪i.kɾ̥ɛl̪]
Oel teyra tawsìpit aean ke txula set slä tsun hìkrrmaw fu maw krr atxan.

Tìng oeru tstxot Misal ulte syaw oeru Satibabbi.

Toliman

Yeah, that I overlooked. Then Tseysì could work well :)

Tseysì

Many thanks to you both! Glad to be here and learning ;D

Toliman