Vocabulary question: nìngäzìk

Started by kaltxi Angtsik, December 08, 2010, 06:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaltxi Angtsik

(Forgive this skxanwg if this question is answered somewhere else - I'm not having any luck working it out for myself)

What exactly does nìngäzìk mean? What would have been the best way for me to look that up for myself?

(There is a sig here with that word and while I can work out most of the sig, that one word eludes me.)
Yawey ngahu!
Oe nerume fte pivlltxe nìNa'vi.
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tirea Aean

Look up ngäzÌk
Look up nÌ-

The problem with even our most complete dictionary is that it does not contain every possible form of every word. That would be just ridiculous in many ways. Mainly on Taronyu et al end. So the solution was list only roots and nonproductive inflected forms and then list all possible inflections. So please don't forget to learn the inflections. Then when learning roots, you will learn to recognize all its forms as well. If you knew about nì, then looking up ngäzìk(which IS a root listed in the dictionary) and put 2 and 2 together you would arrive at the intended meaning. Just watch out: don't use those noun inflections freely to invent nonexistent words.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Tirea Aean on December 08, 2010, 06:56:16 PM
Look up ngäzÌk
Look up nÌ-

The problem with even our most complete dictionary is that it does not contain every possible form of every word. That would be just ridiculous in many ways. Mainly on Taronyu et al end. So the solution was list only roots and nonproductive inflected forms and then list all possible inflections. So please don't forget to learn the inflections. Then when learning roots, you will learn to recognize all its forms as well. If you knew about nì, then looking up ngäzìk(which IS a root listed in the dictionary) and put 2 and 2 together you would arrive at the intended meaning. Just watch out: don't use those noun inflections freely to invent nonexistent words.

In this case though, ngäzìk is an adjective, and is not productive except with adjectives. So in this case, nìngäzìk is a 'legal word'. Most other cases of inflections (especially ) are not productive at all. Taronyu's dictionary shows clearly which inflections are productive, and which are not.

Yawey ngahu!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on December 08, 2010, 09:16:34 PM
Look up ngäzÌk
Look up nÌ-

In this case though, ngäzìk is an adjective, and is not productive except with adjectives. So in this case, nìngäzìk is a 'legal word'. Most other cases of inflections (especially ) are not productive at all. Taronyu's dictionary shows clearly which inflections are productive, and which are not.

wasnt tryin to say that nìngäzìk was an illegal word. just to  be aware of the unproductiveness values and the deriving affixes in general. tho you are right.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Tirea Aean on December 08, 2010, 09:36:18 PM

wasnt tryin to say that nìngäzìk was an illegal word. just to  be aware of the unproductiveness values and the deriving affixes in general. tho you are right.

oel pawm txoait nang Tiera, your post implied that it might be illegal, so I thought a clarification might be needed. I also wanted to point out that information on what inflections can and cannot be used is readily available. I never wanted to give the impression you were wrong, because you in fact were not wrong.

Yawey ngahu!

kaltxi Angtsik

Look up ngäzÌk
Look up nÌ-
OK, I must be doing something wrong. I checked the online dictionary and looked at every entry beginning with ng and it's not there. Of course nì makes sense - so I'm thinking that something is ngäzik-like, whatever that might mean...

Yawey ngahu!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: kaltxi Angtsik on December 08, 2010, 11:06:28 PM
Look up ngäzÌk
Look up nÌ-
OK, I must be doing something wrong. I checked the online dictionary and looked at every entry beginning with ng and it's not there. Of course nì makes sense - so I'm thinking that something is ngäzik-like, whatever that might mean...

get the latest dictionary.

which is here: http://eanaeltu.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

This is what it has to say.
(some IPA may not come thru properly)

ngäzìk: ["Næ.zIk^] PF adj. difficult, hard

nì–: [nI] LN (0) adverbial deriving affix Oe nìNa'vi plltxe. I speak na'vi-ly. (Like a Na'vi.) ((4)
Productive for adjectives only - otherwise modify nìfya'o with appropriate adjective or
relative clause)

the (0) means the productivity is 0 in a scale from 0-5. with the exception of adjectives, then the productivity is (4).

so basically: nìngäzìk is the adverb form of the adjective ngäzìk.

kaltxi Angtsik

Quote from: Tirea Aean on December 09, 2010, 02:54:51 PM

according to this page: http://eanaeltu.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Ah. So the dead tree version of the dictionary is more current than the online version. Ironic. Thanks for the clarification, I'll stop using the online version now.

Yawey ngahu!

Carborundum

Quote from: kaltxi Angtsik on December 09, 2010, 02:58:29 PM

Ah. So the dead tree version of the dictionary is more current than the online version. Ironic. Thanks for the clarification, I'll stop using the online version now.

Eh? There are no dead trees involved unless you print it, which you shouldn't, since it's updated frequently. When people refer to "the dictionary", they generally mean Taronyu's dictionary. Which one have you been using?
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Carborundum on December 09, 2010, 03:03:15 PM

Eh? There are no dead trees involved unless you print it, which you shouldn't, since it's updated frequently. When people refer to "the dictionary", they generally mean Taronyu's dictionary. Which one have you been using?

Yeah man? how does that even make any sense?? if you print out the online version and it gets updated, your "dead tree" version is then out of date...which i believe is what happened. cuz if you were using the online version, you would have easily searched the word ngäzìk and found it, like I did.

kaltxi Angtsik

Quote from: Tirea Aean on December 09, 2010, 03:52:50 PM
Quote from: Carborundum on December 09, 2010, 03:03:15 PM

Yeah man? how does that even make any sense?? if you print out the online version and it gets updated, your "dead tree" version is then out of date...which i believe is what happened. cuz if you were using the online version, you would have easily searched the word ngäzìk and found it, like I did.
Hmm, that's curious - I took a screenshot of the online dictionary search to show you, but it's there now. Aside from the possibility that the online version was very recently updated, the only thing that comes to mind is that I could have inadvertently entered "nga" instead of "ng" yesterday. I know from past experience that the ä and ì characters don't play well with the search box on the online dictionary, so that would have been my bad.

To answer the question about which dictionary I used, it's the one on the "dictionary" tab of the learnnavi.org site.

So that makes sense, the world is sane again - because I know the online version ought to be the most current... but to ever face you folks again, I'm going to have to take it to a whole new level  :-[

At any rate: irayo, si oeru txoa livu!
Yawey ngahu!

Tirea Aean

Just to say, that vocabulary tab on the learnnavi.org page, tho more up to date than it USED To be is never a match to the constantly updating currentness of the official ever changing PDF link.

'Oma Tirea

Most other cases of inflections (especially ) are not productive at all. Taronyu's dictionary shows clearly which inflections are productive, and which are not.

Tì'efumì oeyä, tì- probably has the best chance of productivity out of le-, sä-, si, and tì-.  Sadly, not one of them has a productivity of anything above 0, on a scale from 0-4 (not 0-5 like T.A. said).

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea on December 09, 2010, 08:07:30 PM
Most other cases of inflections (especially ) are not productive at all. Taronyu's dictionary shows clearly which inflections are productive, and which are not.

Tì'efumì oeyä, tì- probably has the best chance of productivity out of le-, sä-, si, and tì-.  Sadly, not one of them has a productivity of anything above 0, on a scale from 0-4 (not 0-5 like T.A. said).

Really? I dont think so. I would say that le- has more chance of productivity. but I respect that we shouldnt invent words and tread them with legitimacy when the standard highest authority hasnt approved. I dont mind that they have zero productivity. i mean tìterkup turned out to not exist. who would have expected kxitx? that is the type of situation VERY likely to happen with any of those: we make up a new word based off old ones, when the REAL word ends up being new root or loan.

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: Tirea Aean on December 09, 2010, 06:46:40 PM
Just to say, that vocabulary tab on the learnnavi.org page, tho more up to date than it USED To be is never a match to the constantly updating currentness of the official ever changing PDF link.
It's updated nearly as constantly actually...  As far as I know, it's updated daily to match the pdf.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on December 10, 2010, 01:38:10 PM
It's updated nearly as constantly actually...  As far as I know, it's updated daily to match the pdf.

Is that updating driven through some automated process, or is there a tokx behind that effort?

Yawey ngahu!

omängum fra'uti

Well there is always a person involved somehow, but it is merely in setting up the process.  You are correct that it happens normally without anything extra.  As far as I know anyway; I am not involved in the updates to the LN.org vocabulary list.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Muzer

[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

Tirea Aean

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on December 10, 2010, 01:38:10 PM

OH?? coolness! i didnt know that.

kxamtxon nantang

hugh! That makes my printing out of the WHOLE dictionary kinda pointless.
In my heart there is a fire,
of burning rage and love's desire.