Various questions

Started by Alaksi, December 16, 2010, 09:41:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wm.annis

Quote from: Ikran Ahiyìk on December 24, 2010, 05:56:59 AM
It is impossible to have lention on the second word if the form is "Noun a-adj" ...

After an adposition, lenition occurs on whatever word follows, regardless of its word class (i.e., if it's the noun or the adjective).

QuoteÌlä sute atxur :)
Ìlä tura tute ;)

Both are correct.

Ikran Ahiyìk

Yeah, I mean the third one is wrong (forgot to add * ...)
Plltxe nìhiyìk na ikran... oe fmeri sìltsan nì'ul slivu, ngaytxoa...

See the new version with fingerings!

wm.annis

Quote from: Ikran Ahiyìk on December 24, 2010, 06:37:43 AM
Yeah, I mean the third one is wrong (forgot to add * ...)

Right.  Nothing is allowed to intrude between a noun and an attributive adjective (this came up when I asked Frommer a question about adverb positioning on his blog).

It's still an open question about how a suffixed adposition would work in this phrase: tute atxur.  If suffixed adpositions are nearly cases, *tutehu atxur will be ok.  I have no idea how we should view *tute atxurhu.  I suspect the first from is better, but we'll need a ruling from Frommer for this.

Ikran Ahiyìk

They are related to the main part of a phrase, like the case suffixes, agree with the first form.
Plltxe nìhiyìk na ikran... oe fmeri sìltsan nì'ul slivu, ngaytxoa...

See the new version with fingerings!

Lance R. Casey

Quote from: wm.annis on December 24, 2010, 06:45:25 AM
It's still an open question about how a suffixed adposition would work in this phrase: tute atxur.  If suffixed adpositions are nearly cases, *tutehu atxur will be ok.  I have no idea how we should view *tute atxurhu.  I suspect the first from is better, but we'll need a ruling from Frommer for this.

Way back in the Ma Sempul response, Frommer wrote this:

Slä nìawnomum, zene oe 'awsiteng tìkangkem sivi fohu a Uniltìrantokxit sì kifkeyit Eywa'evengä zamolunge awngar.

Since a and -a- are basically the same thing, we may already have this ruling.

// Lance R. Casey

wm.annis

Via the wiki someone let me know we have a perfect example in the Earth Day message: fìtrrmì letsranten.