What is the equivalent for the word Coward in Na'vi if any?

Started by PunkMaister, April 01, 2010, 08:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PunkMaister

So is there at the very least a equivalent for the word Coward in Na'vi?

Taronyu

My guesses:

kea tstewa tute --- person who is not brave
tute a txopu si luke lun --- person who fears without reason
tute meypa txelanä --- weak hearted person

PunkMaister

none of them seem to convey the meaning with the same strength as Coward! does pity! >:( Thanks all the same... :)

Taronyu

Tute a wìntxu ke nawma txoput, mì hrr a wä hrrap fu tìsraw.
One who shows not-noble fear, in the time when against danger or pain.

That's a direct translation of the dictionary. Better?

PunkMaister

Quote from: Taronyu on April 01, 2010, 11:40:15 AM
Tute a wìntxu ke nawma txoput, mì hrr a wä hrrap fu tìsraw.
One who shows not-noble fear, in the time when against danger or pain.

That's a direct translation of the dictionary. Better?

I am sorry what I was trying to say is that is not for example like the word skxawng which in one gulp denotes what it really means which is Idiot. Now that truly expresses in one blow what you want to say. For Coward which is just as blunt and in your face a word there is really no derivative that can convey it in the manner that single word can. That is what I was really trying to say, again thanks for all the help much appreciated. :)

Kayrìlien

I would imagine that you could form a single word for "coward" in the same manner as the word for "warrior". Tsam si means "to make war", and tsamsiyu is the word for warrior, so you could probably take the word for "to be afraid", txopu si, contract the verb, and add the suffix -yu in the same way to make txopusiyu, "One who is afraid".

Of course, deriving your own words doesn't make them canon, but the process I outlined seems simple enough that a real-life Na'vi would probably know what you are saying, even if there is a different as-yet-unknown word for "coward".

Kayrìlien

Taronyu

Kayrìlien, that's a good idea. I didn't say that, because it is good to be afrain, sometimes. The coward is he who gives in to that fear. They're semantically different in an important but subtle way. But good thinking!

Add that to the list for Frommer. :D

PunkMaister

Quote from: Kayrìlien on April 01, 2010, 05:24:49 PM
I would imagine that you could form a single word for "coward" in the same manner as the word for "warrior". Tsam si means "to make war", and tsamsiyu is the word for warrior, so you could probably take the word for "to be afraid", txopu si, contract the verb, and add the suffix -yu in the same way to make txopusiyu, "One who is afraid".

Of course, deriving your own words doesn't make them canon, but the process I outlined seems simple enough that a real-life Na'vi would probably know what you are saying, even if there is a different as-yet-unknown word for "coward".

Kayrìlien

That's pretty darn close it would actually translate to Fearful which is pretty darn close.

kewnya txamew'itan

Quote from: PunkMaister on April 01, 2010, 06:25:19 PM
[snip]

That's pretty darn close it would actually translate to Fearful which is pretty darn close.

Fearer actually. Fearful would probably be something like letxopusiyu (not letxopu because that would probably be closer to scary).
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

PunkMaister

Quote from: tìkawngä mungeyu on April 02, 2010, 04:38:19 AM
[snip]

Fearer actually. Fearful would probably be something like letxopusiyu (not letxopu because that would probably be closer to scary).

Fearer still doesn't have the right punch, so I guess when it comes to Coward we will have to stick to Earthen languages for now...

Kayrìlien

Quote from: Taronyu on April 01, 2010, 06:09:54 PM
Kayrìlien, that's a good idea. I didn't say that, because it is good to be afrain, sometimes. The coward is he who gives in to that fear. They're semantically different in an important but subtle way. But good thinking!

Add that to the list for Frommer. :D

It's a very important distinction, and I think you're right, ma Taronyu. We should probably suggest something like this to Frommer, that it might be prudent to have a word for "coward" as well as a word for someone who is simply cautious. I mean, we have words for people who lack the capacity (or want) to show fear, even when appropriate ("overconfident" and "foolhardy" come to mind), so there's a whole spectrum of definitions that springs from this initially basic concept.

Very very good point. I hadn't actually thought of this before, but I think that, in an environment such as Pandora where anything and everything wants to eat Na'vi for dinner, being cautious might be seen as a sign of wisdom; on the other hand, it might be a sign of weakness if bravery is more highly valued. I'd say it's definitely KP's call.

Kayrìlien

Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan)

Quote from: Kayrìlien on April 02, 2010, 10:29:16 PM
I hadn't actually thought of this before, but I think that, in an environment such as Pandora where anything and everything wants to eat Na'vi for dinner, being cautious might be seen as a sign of wisdom; on the other hand, it might be a sign of weakness if bravery is more highly valued. I'd say it's definitely KP's call.

Kayrìlien

Actually, I think it would be JC's call.
(sorry for being smartass)
Also a member of the podcast known as Avatar Nation.  Come listen to our stuff! like us on facebook and chech out our blog at Avatar-Nation.net.

Kayrìlien

Quote from: Kawng Palulukan Tutean (KPT) on April 02, 2010, 11:01:55 PM
Quote from: Kayrìlien on April 02, 2010, 10:29:16 PM
I hadn't actually thought of this before, but I think that, in an environment such as Pandora where anything and everything wants to eat Na'vi for dinner, being cautious might be seen as a sign of wisdom; on the other hand, it might be a sign of weakness if bravery is more highly valued. I'd say it's definitely KP's call.

Kayrìlien

Actually, I think it would be JC's call.
(sorry for being smartass)

Naw, that's a good point too, ma KPT. It very well might be, as JC definitely has the creative control of how he wants the Na'vi people to perceive such things. It's definitely his call as to what their values and cultural constructions are, though I can't see him being particularly picky with the exact words Karyu Pawl chooses. (Unless, of course, the word for "coward" becomes an integral part of one of the sequels, and he wants something specific regardless of its correctness...think Toruk Makto as opposed to Maktoyu aToruk. )

Kayrìlien

Txur’Itan

Quote from: PunkMaister on April 02, 2010, 08:59:21 PM
Quote from: tìkawngä mungeyu on April 02, 2010, 04:38:19 AM
[snip]
Fearer still doesn't have the right punch, so I guess when it comes to Coward we will have to stick to Earthen languages for now...

We should add that word to English LOLZ!

How about?

slu = become
txopu si = be afraid
txopu slu = become afraid

txopusluyu
私は太った男だ。

PunkMaister

Quote from: Txur'Itan on April 03, 2010, 03:49:09 PM

How about?

slu = become
txopu si = be afraid

txopusluyu

Not bad again it simply lacks the punch that skxawng in Na'vi and Coward in English or any Earthen language has.

Txur’Itan

Quote from: PunkMaister on April 03, 2010, 05:49:22 PM
Quote from: Txur'Itan on April 03, 2010, 03:49:09 PM

How about?

slu = become
txopu si = be afraid

txopusluyu

Not bad again it simply lacks the punch that skxawng in Na'vi and Coward in English or any Earthen language has.

Ahh, The insulting connotative meaning this takes on is dependant on how important it is in a given culture or social circle to be the opposite.

Overall, I think you referring to the adjective definition?

Coward adj. lacking courage; very fearful or timid.

Letxopu would be pretty much it exactly. 

Ascribing it to a person would be Po letxpou or letxopua Po that person is a coward.

So maybe Po Le-txopu sl<äng>u.  To ascribe how you feel that it is not pleasant to you.

To make a single Pejorative maybe letxopuslänguyu, fearful becomer.

tstew = adj. brave
ke tstew = not brave

(le)ketstewa po = he/she that is not a brave person NOTE: I don't know if adding "KE" stops the adjective from being an adjective.

(le)ketstew sl<äng>u = not brave become PEJ

I think (le)ketstewsluyu would have an approximate synonymic meaning to letxopusluyu
私は太った男だ。

PunkMaister