Where to start?

Started by 'Ewasyul, December 14, 2010, 03:52:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

'Ewasyul

Hey everyone  ;D
My account has existed for a while, but I've never really started to study the Na'vi language
which of course was my purpose for creating an account.
My two week holiday is coming up and I'm planning to spend some time studying the Na'vi language.
The problem is, I don't know where to start.
Please tell me what is the best way to start learning the Na'vi language? :P
Please correct me if I make any mistakes in Na'vi :)

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Well, I guess this is a rather personal question. :) The best way to start might differ according to the person. But here is what I would advice you:

Resources to use
· Begin with LN.org's grammar page to get the important basics.
· Na'vi in a Nutshell is a great document to learn grammar more deeply.
· You could try understanding, memorizing or repeating the Na'vi lines from the film to practise in a concrete way.
· Of course, you need the Na'vi-English or English-Na'vi dictionary.
· There are so many other resources! Check out 'Learning Resources' or 'Project NgayNume' on the forum.

What to do
· Get an exercise binder or something of that kind, where you can put all your Na'vi stuff together. I'd suggest separating it into Language Content (information that you've summarized and copied in your own way) and Exercises. Or you can also do all of your work on computer - bur don't forget it might be difficult for you to work wherever and whenever you want if you choose this method.
· Learning vocabulary is important, but don't try memorizing each word of the dictionary one by one. You might want to learn useful phrases (at the end of the Na'vi-English dictionary), or write a list of important words and try incorporating them into sentences.

Hope it helped you a bit! ;D

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on December 14, 2010, 09:55:26 AM
Well, I guess this is a rather personal question. :) The best way to start might differ according to the person. But here is what I would advice you:

Resources to use
· Begin with LN.org's grammar page to get the important basics.
· Na'vi in a Nutshell is a great document to learn grammar more deeply.
· You could try understanding, memorizing or repeating the Na'vi lines from the film to practise in a concrete way.
· Of course, you need the Na'vi-English or English-Na'vi dictionary.
· There are so many other resources! Check out 'Learning Resources' or 'Project NgayNume' on the forum.

What to do
· Get an exercise binder or something of that kind, where you can put all your Na'vi stuff together. I'd suggest separating it into Language Content (information that you've summarized and copied in your own way) and Exercises. Or you can also do all of your work on computer - bur don't forget it might be difficult for you to work wherever and whenever you want if you choose this method.
· Learning vocabulary is important, but don't try memorizing each word of the dictionary one by one. You might want to learn useful phrases (at the end of the Na'vi-English dictionary), or write a list of important words and try incorporating them into sentences.

Hope it helped you a bit! ;D

Yes! These are all valid suggestions. Na'vi in a Nutshell explains everything about Na'vi. It's quite a large nutshell, but it's a worthwhile read. Project NgayNume is my personal favorite. I have been a Karyuä Srungsiyu (Teacher Helper) for the past 8 months and enjoyed every minute of it. We are on a break right now until January 7th. I have heard that the sign up form is ready, but our leader Tirea Aean hasn't posted a link to it in his signature so I don't know where it's at.

Aside from these, there is also the Neytiri Project, which assigns one teacher to 1 student. So instead of a classroom environment like PNgN, it is only 1 on 1. Here is also a list of tips posted by Kemaweyan that will really help you :)

-Txonä Rolyu

EDIT: The PNgN sign up sheet is now in my sig!

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Eyawng te Klltepayu

At the moment my favourite resources (in addition to those mentioned) are Omängum's podcasts (sadly only two) Le'eylan's prezis, Nyx's infix chart and the documents on this website. I especially like the two flowcharts.
Please tell me if you see mistakes in a Na'vi post of mine. It's the only way I'll learn. :P

Kan oe trro fnivan lì'fyat leNa'vi frapoto a foru ke sunängu rel arusikx alu Uniltìrantokx.

'Oma Tirea

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!