who, which, whose

Started by 'itan ayvrrtepyä, April 17, 2010, 04:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'itan ayvrrtepyä

can someone tell me what the pronouns who, which etc. are? im not talking of the intorogative ones but the ones like this--

I am looking for the boy who is in my house.

irayo
Tìngay? Tìngay?? NGA KE TSUN TSLIVAM TÌNGAYÌT!!!!

Hawnuyu atxen

Kaltxì!

It's the word "a" you're searching for:

Oel fwew poanit a lu oeyä kelkumì.
i look for he who/which is in my home
"Hrrap rä'ä si olo'ur smuktuä." ; "Ke'u ke lu ngay. Frakemit tung." (Assassin's Creed)

Nikre tsa'usìn!

'itan ayvrrtepyä

this word can be used for all of them?

Hawnuyu atxen

Well, for who and which it's okay, but for whose, well i don't know...
I think it would be something like "aru" (from a and the dative suffix), but don't use it, it's just my way of thinking and most likely it's not correct.
"Hrrap rä'ä si olo'ur smuktuä." ; "Ke'u ke lu ngay. Frakemit tung." (Assassin's Creed)

Nikre tsa'usìn!

'itan ayvrrtepyä

i wouldnt think it would be correct because whose is possesive...so it would mostlikly be ayä or somthing

Hawnuyu atxen

Ok... 1: late here, 2: late here... and 3: there's the "-ru ... lu" thing (nearly means "to have") and i just thought about that one.
But ayä is one possibility too... i really think we should get theese checked by some linguists (best would be Karyu Frommer)... would be great if theese would be confirmed to be correct :D

Nikre tsa'usìn!

'itan ayvrrtepyä

i havent seen the -ru......lu combo would that be like oeru pa'li lu? i have a direhorse?

Hawnuyu atxen

Yeah, it would be, or at least it nearly would be (there's pa'li for me).

Nikre tsa'usìn!

'itan ayvrrtepyä

omängum fra'uti

It would probably be "tute a" for "who" not "po a".  (And almost certainly not poan a - Na'vi doesn't usually use the gender suffix.)

And "a" never gets case endings, the word it refers to does.  So "tuter a" or "tuteyä a" for example.

You can use "a" with other words as well for similar meanings.

Oel omum tsenget a ngal tolok.
I know where you were.

Oe new ivomum fya'ot a nga tsakem soli.
I want to know how you did that.

Oel tsatsenget tayok krr a nga zola'u.
I will be there when you come.

Etc.  Of course, you can use it with most nouns (Not sure about pronouns) for similar constructs, though they may not have a direct translation of the whole construct in English.  Usually when used with other nounds, the "a" gets translated as "which".

Oel tsole'a pa'lit a neto tolul.
I saw the dire-horse which ran away.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

'itan ayvrrtepyä

ok in latin class we just learned the who which whom like we are descussing here and it a little(sarcasm) more complecated in latin then it is here in navi so im going to try to learn this.
Most of what i took from what you just said is if you wanted to say "I have the man who is in the livivg room"

that would then be (man)-l a?
and if you wanted to say whose like that it would be (man)-yä a?

Hawnuyu atxen

I think it rather would be simply just (man), but it completly depends on what you want to say...

QuoteAnd "a" never gets case endings, the word it refers to does.  So "tuter a" or "tuteyä a" for example.

Okay, than let me ask a mean question: if i'd want to say "i see a man whose pa'li is strong", what should i do? ;) (not saying it is not an option :P)
It would be (as i think):
Oel tse'a tute-(?) a pa'li txur lu.

Here both the genitive and accusative would be on tute, what as i know isn't correct, so how should it be?

Nikre tsa'usìn!

Kä'eng

Quote from: Hawnuyu atxen on April 18, 2010, 12:21:01 PMOkay, than let me ask a mean question: if i'd want to say "i see a man whose pa'li is strong", what should i do? ;) (not saying it is not an option :P)
It would be (as i think):
Oel tse'a tute-(?) a pa'li txur lu.

Here both the genitive and accusative would be on tute, what as i know isn't correct, so how should it be?

It should take the case appropriate for the main clause:

*Oel tse'a tutet a pa'li txur lu.

But this is a bad sentence. Sometimes we do need to also indicate what the case is in the attributive clause. Here, if we're not explicit, it sounds like we're saying "I see a person who is a strong Pa'li" - so this is one of those times. So, we explicitly put a po pronoun in the attributive clause to represent the person, and decline it in the genitive case.

Oel tse'a tutet a peyä pa'li txur lu.
Ma evi, ke'u ke lu prrte' to fwa sim tuteot ayawne.
Slä txo tuteo fmi 'ivampi ngat ro seng, fu nìfya'o, a 'eykefu ngati vä', tsakem ke lu sìltsan.
Tsaw lu ngeyä tokx! Kawtu ke tsun nìmuiä 'ivampi ngat txo ngal ke new tsakemit.
Ha kempe si nga? Nì'awve, nga plltxe san kehe. Tsakrr, ngal tsatsengti hum!

Hawnuyu atxen

Now that's something i haven't thought about... Irayo for the answer!

Nikre tsa'usìn!