Word Game?

Started by Kekerusey, March 29, 2010, 06:57:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kekerusey

My apologies if this has been done elsewhere.

I'm practicing Na'vi with my friend and I've starting playing a conversation game and it occurs to me that that could be done here?

How about we play some word games here ... the way I am doing it is to say something (a normal conversation starter) and someone else responds (all in Na'vi of course). The advantage here is that the more experienced members could correct our poor grammar for example, I sent to my friend, "Oe Kawkerusey, oe l.u Ìnglìsì, puvosìng zìsìt. Peng oe teriaynga." which I'm sure is awful in grammar terms (I'm fairly sure that my use of "Ìnglìsì" is wrong since it refers to the language and not that I am English).

What do you think?

Kawkerusey
Kekerusey (Not Dead [Undead])
"Keye'ung lu nì'aw tì'eyng mì-kìfkey lekye'ung :)"
Geekanology, UK Atheist &
The "Science, Just Science" Campaign (A Cobweb)

Toruk Makto

This might be better placed in the Na'vi Nì'aw board....

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

omängum fra'uti

Well if you want corrections and don't feel like trying to translate Na'vi to get them (Which happens a lot in Na'vi nì'Aw) it wouldn't be a good place for it.  This sort of thread has been tried before, to varying amounts of success so feel free to go for it.  Though if you don't want to give the meaning along with what you said, it would probably be better in the intermediate forum.  The downside of not giving the meaning is if you get something wrong, people only have their interpretation of what you did say to go on for what you intended to say.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Kekerusey

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on March 29, 2010, 05:20:15 PMWell if you want corrections and don't feel like trying to translate Na'vi to get them (Which happens a lot in Na'vi nì'Aw) it wouldn't be a good place for it.  This sort of thread has been tried before, to varying amounts of success so feel free to go for it.  Though if you don't want to give the meaning along with what you said, it would probably be better in the intermediate forum.  The downside of not giving the meaning is if you get something wrong, people only have their interpretation of what you did say to go on for what you intended to say.

Well, as I understand it (essentially not much), word order doesn't matter that much so if I was to type up a phrase, say the one I used to my friend, "Oe Kawkerusey, oe l.u Ìnglìsì, puvosìng zìsìt. Peng oe teriaynga." I could perhaps put the English under spoiler tags (hiding it unless specifically accessed). For example:

QuoteOe Kawkerusey, oe l.u Ìnglìsì, puvosìng zìsìt. Peng oe teriaynga

That would allow the more experienced members to check what that person has said, how it is said and perhaps suggest better ways to say it ... wouldn't it?

Yes it also means someone could "cheat" but since I feel the idea of this place is to learn the new language and cheating benefits that aim relatively little I simply assume people won't.

Kawkerusey
Kekerusey (Not Dead [Undead])
"Keye'ung lu nì'aw tì'eyng mì-kìfkey lekye'ung :)"
Geekanology, UK Atheist &
The "Science, Just Science" Campaign (A Cobweb)