Bible in Na'vi

Started by Col Quaritch, March 15, 2010, 03:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Col Quaritch

speaking of subforums when is that kicking in? Im going to attempt again some verse probly get racked over the coals like I did last time.

Col Quaritch

Never mind Im a Skxawng I see we have it now ok anyone know where I can get glasses ?

Tirea Aean

As obviously known, the Fish has granted us a subforum...so this thread shall continue to exist there, but now, obviously we are free to make as many threads concerning different aspects of this project as possible. :D yey Payoang! cool guy he is.

so yeah. HRH</useless post>

Col Quaritch

Most defiantly snaps to him this will greatly improve our efforts here. One more proof to me of God being behind this and opening doors.

Tìmuiäyä'itan

Tonight (CEST) I'll see to put up a wiki structure for the whole thing, so we have something to start off from. UNless somebody else feels like doing this 8)

Yawä ngahu
srungìri ftära tsyokxìl ngeyä
ke ivomum futa pesuru
lu srung skiena tsyokxta ngeyä
ulte Jesus a nerìn ayfo pamlltxe
san sutehu lu keltsun
slä Yawähu frakem tsunslu sìk.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Good to see things are progressing well. Am traveling until about August 10th, but am checking things every few days.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Col Quaritch

Amazing how it's coming tougher , but alas I'll have to most of mu updating when I get home yup I'm in the hospital again. Lucky me.

rodrygo

Kxaltì ma smuke sì smukan, oel ayngati kameie!
I translated (with help of frieds of polish section) the Lord's Prayer (Luk 11,1).

can you comment these work?

Ma ayoeyä Sempul a tok tawit.
Ngeyä tstxo swok livu.
Ngeyä koren zìyeva'u.
Ngeyä tìnew slivu mì saw sì  kifkeymì.
Ngengal tìng fìtrr ayoeru letrrtrra tsyosyut ayoeyä
Ulte ayoeru txoa livu ngengata, pxel ta ayoe lu txoa aysuteru a kxu si ayoer.
Ulte rä'ä tung ayoeru ftxivey tìkawngit  slä hawnu ayoeru ta tìkawng.

your brother in Christ,
Rodrygo

Taronyu

Hey dudes,

I don't come in here much. But I've been wanting to translate Genesis 11:1-9. Anyone else done this, yet? It's the Tower of Babel passage. It's particularly relevant to conlangers, and part of the conlanging tradition to translate it.

Anyone mind?

Richard

Eyamsiyu

As far as I know, no one has done it, and I don't think anyone would object...

... then again, I don't come here as often either nowadays...

Well... if they have, just don't look. ;)

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

rodrygo

According to Taronyou remark - I try to translate the text about Babel tower. It seems  to be realizable but I have trouble with "building" words especially mortar...
can you guess something?

irayo  :)

Taronyu

Meynari Ke'nawm

I just have a couple questions: Why exactly are you doing this? Just for the religious aspects, or to raise awareness to others about Na'vi and show people what it can do? How are you going to finnish, and what will you do if thee words you need don't yet exist?
GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
PADD: Watch out...
Officially the youngest member... so far...

mrklingon

Hello -

Is there any activity happening in the background currently?

Has anyone considered using the World English Bible - a copyright free modern translation: http://ebible.org/
I *can* understand using the KJV, since there are many free resources available linking it to the original languages - see the Crosswire Bible offers free software resources that let you access Biblical texts and resources: http://crosswire.org/study/parallelstudy.jsp is an online tool that lets you get to the original languages and more. [including my not-a-translation Klingon Language Version].   I would be happy to assist in generating OSIS format Na'vi texts that would work with Crosswire and other tools

--

joel anderson * [email protected] * [email protected]
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because generally they are the same people." * G. K. Chesterton
----------------------------------------------------------------
mIghghachvo' yImej 'ej yIQaQ; roj yInej 'ej Dochvam yItlha'
       http://www.mrklingon.org
--
"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because generally they are the same people." * G. K. Chesterton

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Kaltxi, ma Mr. Klingon nang

Thank you for showing some interest in our translation project. I am getting the idea that you are the person responsible for the KLV?

Like the little bit of the KLV that I have looked at, I don't think we will really have a true 'translation' for quite some time. It will end up looking like the KLV until we get a LOT of new words. A lot of words needed will probably (at least officially) never exist. Long term though, it is our hope to someday have a pure Na`vi translation of the entire Bible.

Wherever possible, people here are tending to want to source the original languages rather than than any particular English (or non-English) version of the Bible. Just like Klingon, Na`vi is a kind of 'Esperanto', which when used properly, should allow people who speak different native languages to communicate clearly. Translating from something than the original languages (and I am by no means an expert at doing that!) eliminates an intermediary step that would tend to 'color' any final work.

Our fearless leader, Col Quaritch, has a variety of issues that severely limits his ability to keep this project going. Any prayer for him is appreciated.

This project is probably best described as 'dormant'. This is for a number of reasons. First, everyone has been extremely busy, and good translating work requires quality time. 2.) The aforementioned lack of suitable vocabulary, 3.) There is no one active here that could be described as a 'master' (if such a thing exists yet) of the Na`vi language. It is my ultimate hope to become a master, largely in part to get this project going. 4.)There is a lot about the structure of the language (grammar, syntax, etc.) that is still being worked out. Although a good starting framework exists in this area, there are an awful lot of details that still need to be fleshed out. And on a major work like a Bible translation, we both need to know all the little grammatical nuances of the language. This helps us create a better translation. It also helps create and maintain a literary standard for a language, as the usage in the Bible in a given language is often considered 'canon' for that language. So, we have to be lexically, grammatically, syntactically and (especially because Na`vi is primarily a spoken language) phonotactically correct. And 5.) We don't have all the tools developed yet (in a large part, my fault) to make doing this kind of work both easier and more consistent.

Nevertheless, anything you care to offer in terms of participation will be very much welcomed here.

I also want to spend some time looking over your website and the work you have done there. Ultimately, I an now interested in learning Klingon. But mastering Na`vi and getting Kizinti 'out of the litterbox' will come first.

Yawey ngahu!

Tirea Aean

(Please excuse any ignorance of mine but) isnt Klingon like a really rough, harsh, militaristic and offensive-type language? Its almost an irony that someone would translate the Holy Bible into that. i mean there might be some places it makes sense. perhaps i should dig up more background on that language, but from what i have seen thus far, the klingons are not exactly known for having positive vibe, attitude and interaction by Earth (/Heavenly?) standards.

Interesting.

mrklingon

<<
Thank you for showing some interest in our translation project. I am getting the idea that you are the person responsible for the KLV?
>>

Yes, that's me.

<<
Like the little bit of the KLV that I have looked at, I don't think we will really have a true 'translation' for quite some time. It will end up looking like the KLV until we get a LOT of new words. A lot of words needed will probably (at least officially) never exist. Long term though, it is our hope to someday have a pure Na`vi translation of the entire Bible.
>>

I don't harbor illusions that the KLV is a real translation - it's a Klingon-English pidgin at best.  More of a place holder until someone does a true translation.  I expect that, on a world of mixed English/Klingon speakers, something like this might appear.  For many of the same reasons you mention, the official KLI Bible project is on hiatus http://www.kli.org/wiki/index.php?Klingon%20Bible%20Translation%20Project

<<
Our fearless leader, Col Quaritch, has a variety of issues that severely limits his ability to keep this project going. Any prayer for him is appreciated.
>>

Certainly.

<<
Nevertheless, anything you care to offer in terms of participation will be very much welcomed here.
>>

I'm looking at building an English Na'vI table, to add Na'vi to my Universal Translator Assistant Project tools.  From that I might generate a rough Na'vi Language Version (again, not a translation).  Stay tuned.

<<
I also want to spend some time looking over your website and the work you have done there. Ultimately, I an now interested in learning Klingon. But mastering Na`vi and getting Kizinti 'out of the litterbox' will come first.
>>

Well, there is much good information here: http://www.kli.org/study/postcourse.html

For my part, I need to work on Na'vi....  but right now my nights are devoted to appearing in the Klingon Christmas Carol: http://klingonxmas.com

--

--

mrklingon

Quote from: Tirea Aean on December 01, 2010, 03:21:45 PM
(Please excuse any ignorance of mine but) isnt Klingon like a really rough, harsh, militaristic and offensive-type language? Its almost an irony that someone would translate the Holy Bible into that. i mean there might be some places it makes sense. perhaps i should dig up more background on that language, but from what i have seen thus far, the klingons are not exactly known for having positive vibe, attitude and interaction by Earth (/Heavenly?) standards.

Interesting.

Hi - it isn't surprising at all, in fact it is quite common in constructed languages - as I note on one of my KLV web pages:

Once anyone hears of a project to make a Klingon Bible, the question that comes up is "why?" Certainly there is no need for such a version, as there is a need for a Bible in English, Spanish, German, or any other "real" language. There is no person who would only be able to access the scriptures in Klingon.

But in the study of artificial languages, translating standard works of literature like the Bible is often done, and for two reasons. First, it is a way to exercise and develop the language, and second, it helps to develop a body of literature in that language. This literature can then be used and referred to by people learning and using the language.

For some, there can be other benefits. Though this kind of translation might seem frivolous, the work of producing such a translation can have devotional value even if the translation is never used. The effort of reading the scriptures and considering their meaning for a translation cannot fail to benefit the translator by helping him or her develop a deeper understanding of the text.

https://sites.google.com/a/klingonword.org/klv/why-a-klingon-bible
--

Tirea Aean

Quote from: mrklingon on December 02, 2010, 03:29:29 PM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on December 01, 2010, 03:21:45 PM

Interesting.

Hi - it isn't surprising at all, in fact it is quite common in constructed languages - as I note on one of my KLV web pages:

Once anyone hears of a project to make a Klingon Bible, the question that comes up is "why?" Certainly there is no need for such a version, as there is a need for a Bible in English, Spanish, German, or any other "real" language. There is no person who would only be able to access the scriptures in Klingon.

But in the study of artificial languages, translating standard works of literature like the Bible is often done, and for two reasons. First, it is a way to exercise and develop the language, and second, it helps to develop a body of literature in that language. This literature can then be used and referred to by people learning and using the language.

For some, there can be other benefits. Though this kind of translation might seem frivolous, the work of producing such a translation can have devotional value even if the translation is never used. The effort of reading the scriptures and considering their meaning for a translation cannot fail to benefit the translator by helping him or her develop a deeper understanding of the text.

https://sites.google.com/a/klingonword.org/klv/why-a-klingon-bible

makes total sense. basically the same as what's goin on here. :)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Translating the Bible, even roughly to a new language, even a conlang, can have spiritually beneficial results.

Someone recently told me that someone reading the KLV gave their life to the Lord. That right there makes all the work worth it. This same person told me that if the Na`vi bible changes just one life, all the effort will have been worth it.

I will be very interested to see what you might come up with, for a rough translation. Such a translation, if it is modestly 'close', serves as a starting place for a more careful translation. Your translator is kind of like Disney's CAPS animation system for cel animaltion. It does the really tedious jobs like 'ink and paint'. The really creative part-- the drawing-- (or the fine translating in my analogy) is faithfully preserved by the system. It also creates reproducible files of each frame, rather than irreplaceable cels. (Every Disney animated film starting with 'The Lion King' was produced with CAPS.)

Tsawl ean a kaltxì ma MrKlingon!

If you need any help, don't be afraid to ask!

Yawey ngahu!