Bible in Na'vi

Started by Col Quaritch, March 15, 2010, 03:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mako

Okay, while I'm here, has anyone been officially compiling our progress? Because if so I'd love to get started on an iPhone Bible mìNa'vi app.

Eltu Lefngap Makto

Since there are 31,185 verse, I'd have to say we're at under 1%.  :-[

As I was recently telling Tirea, we're not going to get anywhere until we have some vocabulary in each of these areas:

buy/sell/redeem/debt
  inherit/heir/possess/own
plant/sow/reap/farm/shepherd
convict/vindicate/judge
   court/witness/testimony
slavery/freedom/master*/lord
glory/bless/grave/favor

Much of the Bible is dependent on these semantic domains.  Without them, we are eviscerating the text in paraphrase, not translation.
'Ivong, Na'vi!

Tirea Aean

Id say hold off on a mobile app until the content is in production stage.

Mako

Quote from: Eltu Lefngap Makto on January 08, 2012, 02:05:00 PM
Since there are 31,185 verse, I'd have to say we're at under 1%.  :-[

As I was recently telling Tirea, we're not going to get anywhere until we have some vocabulary in each of these areas:

buy/sell/redeem/debt
  inherit/heir/possess/own
plant/sow/reap/farm/shepherd
convict/vindicate/judge
   court/witness/testimony
slavery/freedom/master*/lord
glory/bless/grave/favor

Much of the Bible is dependent on these semantic domains.  Without them, we are eviscerating the text in paraphrase, not translation.

True point. Still I'm interested in this project.

Tirea Aean

Good to see you are interested. :D I have been mainly keeping this board on notify and helping anyone who posts a translation. Sorry that I have not contributed any new info. Also, Ma Reyona, iirc, Eltu Lefngap Makto keeps all his verse translations saved and archived on a Semantic Mediawiki.
( http://navi.referata.com/wiki/Special:BrowseData/Data?Source=Bible )

EDIT: I don't see 2 John in there.

Mako

Beautiful. I'll have a look then. Mind looking in to my other translations (or paraphrases)?

Tirea Aean

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Just chiming in to say I am also interested in this :)

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Mako

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on January 08, 2012, 09:15:57 PM
Just chiming in to say I am also interested in this :)

-Txonä Rolyu

great to have you! :D

Quote from: Reyona te Tsateka Ray'i'itan on January 08, 2012, 09:39:28 PM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 08, 2012, 02:41:26 PM
( http://navi.referata.com/wiki/Special:BrowseData/Data?Source=Bible )

So these are the "fully completed" books? Or are they just what he's individually done?

Dont know. didnt check. ELM would know.

Eltu Lefngap Makto

The only entire chapter I've done is Genesis 1:1-2:3.  Everything is individual verses.  As I said, this project is just starting to think about thinking about starting!  :D
'Ivong, Na'vi!

Tirea Aean

step by step will it be done. also check the blog. new words some of which may be useful here.

Numeyu92

what is the status of this project? what book and verse are they on? still in genesis?
Formerly known as Ni'awtu92. I ' am now known as Numeyu92 since it represents my personality.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Numeyu92 on October 25, 2013, 01:03:26 PM
what is the status of this project? what book and verse are they on? still in genesis?

Wow this project hasn't been posted in for centuries.

Actually, people have been skipping around to whatever and translating it. It's not really a cover-to-cover operation.

Numeyu92

be interesting to combine what others have already translated and continue with the project I'd be willing to help
Formerly known as Ni'awtu92. I ' am now known as Numeyu92 since it represents my personality.

Tirea Aean

Ok. Well what you would do is, look through what's been done and choose something to translate. You can either add to an existing thread and help out with stuff that people were already doing. OR you can think of something new to translate, maybe a small passage or something whether a verse or chapter and post a new thread in this board with its name. (You'll see how other people have been doing that) Then in your post, say which version you are translating from, the English text then the Na'vi text.

This is a really difficult project because so many key concepts and words found in Christianity are missing in the Na'vi language due to being missing in the Na'vi lifestyle and whatnot.

Numeyu92

Ok I will start with Genesis and see how far I get.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Numeyu92 on October 25, 2013, 01:20:35 PM
Ok I will start with Genesis and see how far I get.

Okey. You'll find threads for that

http://forum.learnnavi.org/bible/genesis/ <- here (probably where you might put your work, it contains 1:1-10 already, I think)
http://forum.learnnavi.org/bible/genesis-31/ <- and here. (for just verse 3:1)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Ah, Txantsan to see some activity here. Tirea Aean pretty much gave you the synopsis of what is going on, and how things are working here.

Right now, people are pretty much working on material they are comfortable with, and there hasn't been a lot of activity here in quite a while. In fact, only a couple of people who posted frequently here are still even active in the forums at all.

I have been intensely busy with other projects, so I have not devoted as much time to this project as I should (Plus at the time, my Na'vi skills were not all they good. They have improved a lot in the last 18 months, but I don't think I will ever be happy with where I am at ;) ). I am thinking that my biggest contribution will be a framework of some sort for people who wish to translate, to work. Now that I have some experience with wikis (I do the overall maintenance on the Dothraki/Valyrian wiki), I am thinking this might be the best way to go. A wiki provides for both easy individual contribution in an organized manner, and overall organization at the same time.

And as Tirea mentioned, we have a real vocabulary problem, even now. Even Dothraki might be easier for translation, as their overall level of technology is in keeping with Biblical times or later.

But nevertheless, enjoy and be blessed!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Ikrantu

I SEE...hmmm....kame Oe