Bible in Na'vi

Started by Col Quaritch, March 15, 2010, 03:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tìmuiäyä'itan

Update:
Forgot the most important: I've translated another verse:

sìlronsem lu tute a ke tìran ìlä säfpìl ayska'ayuyä tìsiltsanyä sì a ke kllkxem mì fya'o sìkameyä sì a ke kelku si hu ayhusangham tìmuiäyä.

One karma for the guy who can tell me, what it is (except riftmaster, I told him before) and one karma for each mistake you find. Putting some motivation to the review 8)

I wanted to get the whole part done, but it's 2 am now and at 8 am I have class again :P (Revelation of John class, I love it but it's too early)

Yawä awngahu
srungìri ftära tsyokxìl ngeyä
ke ivomum futa pesuru
lu srung skiena tsyokxta ngeyä
ulte Jesus a nerìn ayfo pamlltxe
san sutehu lu keltsun
slä Yawähu frakem tsunslu sìk.

Col Quaritch

Quote from: Tseyk Tìriuä on March 17, 2010, 07:24:51 PM
<<<willing to help xD

Glad to have you on board.

On a futher note can someone else pick up the pdf part from me I'm swamped with 2 other things here in the world outside of this board (yes Virginia theres a world outside of LearnNavi.org) I dont think its a requirment but sure is nice to see everyone who is joining this project placing the Navi-Bible project banner in their profiles.

So to our new people only thing that is set in stone at this time is the Na'vi word for God is Yawä, was wondering about a another brainstorming of working up word for Lord and Christ, Lord as we all are going to need that one Old or New Testament and for those of us working the NT translation deffently will need Christ or Messiah. I'm guessing probally have a better chance of working up a word or translation out of messiah but thats me, so till next time.

Yawä Ngahu

Tìmuiäyä'itan

Riftmaster took the pdf part already, no worries  ::)
Txon asìltsan!
ke ivomum futa pesuru
san sutehu lu keltsun

Tseyk Tìriuä

any chapters in specific you want me to do?

Tengkrr tìsngä'i Yawäl peyä tsenget ulte kifkey Yawä'evangäti ngamop.

Col Quaritch

Quote from: Tseyk Tìriuä on March 17, 2010, 08:18:03 PM
any chapters in specific you want me to do?

Got a favorite book or verse if so I would say start there.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I'm glad I finally found this page! I am ready to get on board and help.

My Na`vi is not good at all, as I am just startng out, like most here. But I think that there is nothing better to learn all the things there are to learn about a language, than to translate something. You will also get to know the Word better, by having to 'take it apart, verse by verse'.

What I see happening is that a rough translation will emerge. Then, as our Na`vi skills improve and we get more words, we can go back and refine what we have done. And of course, cross-checking other people's work (all puns intended) will also help us learn.

God's blessing is sure to be on us for this project, because, if even one soul is converted by this, it is worth all the effort.

The KJV is an excellent translation to work from. I will use that, along with other good translations. I will also use Greek and Hebrew when appropriate, as I have good original language study tools. (It is because of learning to use those tools that I was able to come up to speed here as quickly as I did!)

One final thought. Although I am generally cool with yawä for God, you all seem to have missed the Na`vi dipthongs. This is where your long vowel sounds are. Most people I know pronounce Yaweh with a long A, like 'say' at the end. The ä sound is like the a in 'cat'. The Na`vi dipthong ey gives you the correct long A sound, so you end up with yawey

In any case, I will pick something out-of-the-way to start with: The book of Zephaniah. And, I will not be in a hurry!

Yawä ngahu
`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tseyk Tìriuä

well maybe I'll do Genesis since its the first

Col Quaritch

I think if you scroll back up someplace we had quite the chit chat about why we went that way with it but by all means nothing yet (navi wise) is set in stone for this project. And yes yes yes yes I agree if just one person comes to Christ becuase of this it was worth the effort. I know of people who would have never picked up the bible but when it became aviable in Klingon they couldnt get it fast enough and to read it. I think Im going to revisit my 5 verses of John again an rethink and deffently pray more about this translation I'll repost if any major changes are made.

Yawa Ngahu

Tseyk Tìriuä

haha the first line:

Krr tsa tìsngä'i lamu, Yawyäl peyä tsenget ulte kifkey Yawyä'evangäti ngamop.

Time it beginning was, God his place (heaven) and physical child of God (planet...allomorph kifkey Eywa'evengä) created.

Col Quaritch

This project is indeed blessed, unless my count is off we are up to 9 people working to help on this 10 if you throw in the old Col here. This is a total wowzers!!! Thank you everyone for putting in your time an effort to this.

Ok adding to this post, something I always say to friends thought I would post here and in Na'vi. I assume that some words in this case "or" are just assumed in the language when you are speaking it so here you go.

Tse'a nga tsatseng fu mi taw (See you there or in the air)

Letxepa tirea

Here we go. I have done the first two verses of the Tower of Babel story.

The story is found in genesis 11:1-9.

1 And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech. 2 And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there.

Ulte nìwotx tawtute-a atxkxe (was) 'aw-a mokri sí 'aw-a pongu. Ulte za<ím>'u hasey, ay-fo t<ol>íran ftu alím, ay-fo t<ol>aron txan-a atxkxe tsní t<ol>ok atxkxe-a (Shinar); ulte ay-fo k<ol>elku si tsatsing.

And all of sky-people land (was) one voice and one group of people. And it was come done, they(plural) have walked from far away, they(plural) have hunted great(large) land that occupied(or was at) land of (shinar); and they(plural) have dwelt there.

Yawä ngahu nìwotxa ayswaw!

Oe zola'u, Oe tsole'a, Oe skola'a

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

A random thought before heading to bed:

It occurred to me that 'Eywa' is like 'Yahweh' turned inside-out. Has anyone else noticed this? Coincidence?

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Col Quaritch

Quote from: Tìmuiäyä'itan on March 17, 2010, 07:52:38 PM
Update:
Forgot the most important: I've translated another verse:

sìlronsem lu tute a ke tìran ìlä säfpìl ayska'ayuyä tìsiltsanyä sì a ke kllkxem mì fya'o sìkameyä sì a ke kelku si hu ayhusangham tìmuiäyä.

One karma for the guy who can tell me, what it is (except riftmaster, I told him before) and one karma for each mistake you find. Putting some motivation to the review 8)

I wanted to get the whole part done, but it's 2 am now and at 8 am I have class again :P (Revelation of John class, I love it but it's too early)

Yawä awngahu

No clue you got navi words I cant even find in my dictanary best I could fig out was "be person a not walk by make or stand in" thats it for me after that I'm totaly lost might as well be martian. So just taking a wild guess is it 2 Corinthians 5:7?

Tìmuiäyä'itan

@Col:
No, it's one of the Psalms (as I said I stick with them). Some of the words you have to decode to find in the dict. I'll write an explaination later, as I'm short of time now. I'll also cross-check (now I got the pun;)) the other verses then.

Quote from: 'Eylan AfalulukanäIt occurred to me that 'Eywa' is like 'Yahweh' turned inside-out. Has anyone else noticed this? Coincidence?
Yes, I wondered, too, and I am not sure whether it's coincidence or intended. there are some parts of the language that remind me of Hebrew as well, like having no Verb endings but infixes, though the infixes are not for conjugation...

Quote from: Eylan AfalulukanäOne final thought. Although I am generally cool with yawä for God, you all seem to have missed the Na`vi dipthongs. This is where your long vowel sounds are. Most people I know pronounce Yaweh with a long A, like 'say' at the end. The ä sound is like the a in 'cat'. The Na`vi dipthong ey gives you the correct long A sound, so you end up with yawey
I must confess when I proposed Yawä for God I did not have your English pronounciation in mind, but the way we pronounce it in Germany, and that would be rather Yawä, maybe even Yawì, if I got the ì sound right meanwhile. In Hebrew you'd just put a Shwa mobile (you mentioned using Hebrew study tools so I guess you know the language), which would if I am right be pronounced like ì.
But I don't want to argue on that one, main thing is, we have a name to address God. I'd be finde with "Eywa" as well, christians have always taken up words that were known to the target culture and reinterprete them. As for Eywa my only concern would be that for the Na'vi she resembles nature, so is a part of creation and not creatress herself. But maybe I misunderstand the Eywa concept as well...
On the other hand Eywa being called mother and us calling the Lord father somehow points out similarities one could build upon. And there'd finally be a bible with a female God, for those who care about God's gender... ;)

Yawä ngahu
ke ivomum futa pesuru
san sutehu lu keltsun

Col Quaritch

Eywa I personal want to stear clear of this as the other meaning being Geia and that is a pagan term. It just wouldnt do to use for God when we are talk about the God of both the old and new testament in our bible. What I lack right now in my studies is the knowledge and tools of the orginal language, though that will be changing I hope very soon. I'm one of those that dose not beleive in accidents that all things happen for a reason, and I beleive our quick and agreament that Yawä means God is one of them. So unless Dr Frommer steps in an says guys the proper Na'vi word for God is " " I say we stick with what seems to feel right for us at this time. There enough of us now to have a majority vote on what words if they be created should stand our current one being the example, avoiding having to backtrack becuase of someone bringing up a point or two argue a better translation or what ever. I have to say from what I have seen so far its widly accepted now that Yawa is the accepted word for God. I have a personal website I'm going to devote to any finished work we get done here so as choppy as the work will be as we are all spread all over the book it will be aviable to view online once each of our sections are done.

Tìmuiäyä'itan

@Tseyk Tìriuä:
I just saw in the German forums that some guy did a translation of Gen 1. It might not fit wholly to our project, as he uses Eywa for God and gets the whole thing in a Pandoran Context (like they have no moon, they ARE the moon), but it might do some help for your work, also if you only have the Na'vi words...

Here's the link:
http://forum.learnnavi.org/navi-lernen/genesis-i/

Yawä ngahu

Update:
@Tseyk Tìriuä:
Took a look at your line during lunch break, here's my notes on it:
I am not sure if you have to say tsakrr or can also say krr tsa.

Yawyäl: You can only add either ergative or genitive ending. I think you don't need the peyä (you mean it to translate as that-which, right?) to say Go's place. Tseng Yawäyä will do, like in English: tseng = place; God = Yawä; yä added to Yawä = 's added to God;

But as we have taw for sky, I wonder if there needs to be a different word. I know there is a distinguishing in English between sky and heaven, but other languages have this not. And I think also Hebrew (correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't distinguish, so maybe you can just make it:
Yawäl ngamop tawìt síìkifkeyìt.

What do you think?
ke ivomum futa pesuru
san sutehu lu keltsun

Letxepa tirea

I need help. I need (a) word(s) for "slime" and for "mortar". I'm stuck on the last bit of verse three because of that. Here is what I have so far:

Actual KJV: 1 And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech. 2 And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there. 3 And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them thoroughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for mortar.

Na'vi: 1 Ulte nìwotx tawtute-a atxkxe (was) 'aw-a mokri sí 'aw-a pongu. 2 Ulte za<ím>'u hasey, ay-fo t<ol>íran ftu alím, ay-fo t<ol>aron txan-a atxkxe tsní t<ol>ok atxkxe-a (Shinar); ulte ay-fo k<ol>elku si tsatsing. 3 Ulte ay-fo s<ol>i mokri aylaru-hu pongu: "Níwin, tung ayoeng si ay-tskxe fpi ay-kelku, ulte si ay-fo a-txur." Ulte tawtute s<ol>i txur-a ay-tskxe-íl tsní kenong meyp ay-tskxe-ti, ulte  

Literal: 1 And all of sky-people land (was) one voice and one group of people. 2 And it was come done, they(plural) have walked from far away, they(plural) have hunted great(large) land that occupied(or was at) land of (shinar); and they(plural) have dwelt there. 3 And they have made voice to the others with the people: "Fast, allow we(inclusive) make stones for the sake of homes, and make they(plural) strong. And the sky-people have made strong stones that model weak stones, and

Any problems or better translations?

Oe zola'u, Oe tsole'a, Oe skola'a

riftmaster

Should have PDF online by tonight (uk)

xelloss

Kaltxì ayngaru !

It's a good idea in terms of language.
But I do not think we can translate the Bible into Na'vi.  :-\

The difference in philosophy between Na'vi and the Bible is too big  ;D

Eywa ayngahu !
Le premier homme qui est mort à du être drôlement surpris.
Partir c'est mourir un peu, et mourir c'est partir beaucoup.
La Terre est basse.
Les lénitions, en rouge

Le Na'vi fpi Ayskxawng 2022

Col Quaritch

Well we are called to try anyways, and I believe it can be translated just going to take alot of work an effort.