Community Projects > Bible

Bible in Na'vi

(1/69) > >>

Col Quaritch:
As the topic says, I and a small group of volunteers are going to start a most monumental task of translating the Holy Bible into Na'vi. At this time I have TesterScott on board and please forgive me I know I have another but your name escapes me at the moment so please pipe up you know who you are :) As to which version its already decided that King James is most well known so from there we will do our very best to translate it into the na'vi language. So biggest help I know I can ask for is grammar in the navi language hehe English too I am sure as well. But I feel for now with just 3 of us on this team we should each take a book and start from there. I am going to start with my fav John. So expect to see some posting of that real soon here.

Ps....yes the Col has a kinder side he just dose not get to come out and play as often :P

Ok edit found your name sorry dude Tìmuiäyä'itan has also asked me in pm's to join the team in doing this task.

eanayo:
Very good, dear Colonel! I love your project!

Just out of curiosity: How exactly are you dealing with God, Jesus and all that, and is your translation more of a "conveys the sense" or quite literal? I'm asking because I had a stab at Genesis (well, only the very beginning) a few weeks back, and just substituting God with Eywa didn't seem to be appropriate ;)

If I like the way you're going, I might be interested in joining your cause, though I don't want to promise anything, I'll be pretty busy the next couple of weeks ;)

But at any rate: Best of luck, and looking forward to see this happening!

Col Quaritch:
Well as for Jesus stay the same something I notice is proper names still remain with possible exception of a spelling or two. In a letter we got from Dr Frommer he spelled his name Paul "Pawl" and when in the audio version of that letter it had more of a longer OW sound to it, well at least to my ears so I'm assuming that technically there is no letter U in Na'vi, I could be wrong I am just getting started in this. As to God oh yea Eywa is out. Best I can say at this time is either resort to the Hebrew spelling of some of the names and I.e. replace those letters with na'vi letters or just leave them alone all together till a very better translation becomes aviable to us. Whats most important is that the message remain the same be it in English or na'vi. I would love to have you join our project , first there is no set time period on anyone in turn in their chapters or books. but as we feel we are as done as possible I will make a ftp link aviable to upload your work so I can compile it all together so once done it can be offered (free of course) as a completed Bible to any that wish to download it.

TesterScot:

--- Quote from: Col Quaritch on March 15, 2010, 03:59:52 pm ---Well as for Jesus stay the same something I notice is proper names still remain with possible exception of a spelling or two. In a letter we got from Dr Frommer he spelled his name Paul "Pawl" and when in the audio version of that letter it had more of a longer OW sound to it, well at least to my ears so I'm assuming that technically there is no letter U in Na'vi, I could be wrong I am just getting started in this. As to God oh yea Eywa is out. Best I can say at this time is either resort to the Hebrew spelling of some of the names and I.e. replace those letters with na'vi letters or just leave them alone all together till a very better translation becomes aviable to us. Whats most important is that the message remain the same be it in English or na'vi. I would love to have you join our project , first there is no set time period on anyone in turn in their chapters or books. but as we feel we are as done as possible I will make a ftp link aviable to upload your work so I can compile it all together so once done it can be offered (free of course) as a completed Bible to any that wish to download it.

--- End quote ---

I'd been thinking along the lines of "Iyawä" or "Yawä" (Yaweh) for God, as the sound 'fits' better for na'vi; hadn't got to thinking about a suitable verbalisation for Jesus - again "Iyezu" or "Yezu"; as, if I remember correctly, na'vi doesn't have a "sh" sound (please correct me if I'm wrong).

EDIT - Woo Hoo!!! I managed to post okay!!!! (First time in 3 days).

Col Quaritch:
hmmm that dose bring some interesting thoughts. Can't say I'm wild about the Iyawa version but I'm not the final authority of the project as a whole. But I do understand what you are trying to say. This is where it would really help if the good Dr gives us a better word for God. I think leaning more twords Yaweh or as you had put Yawa might be one of our better choices for now. Scott did you know what book you wanted to tackle? I'm starting on John well the first line so far :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version