Hebrew names

Started by Eltu Lefngap Makto, February 21, 2011, 02:36:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ni-awtu

hang on a sec, do you guys believe in Eywa as a deity?

and you say you are christians (those of you who do, I'm not talking to any others)?

Eltu Lefngap Makto

I am thoroughly confused by your question.  I read it, and since this is an old thread, I searched on the page for instances of 'Eywa' to see what you are talking about.  Yours is the first and only mention of those letters in that order.  When did I (or anyone) say that we believe in her as a deity?  I think within the movie, she is a very complicated lifeform, meant to parallel earth-bound ideas like Gaia, but that's a long way from what you're suggesting.

I think you better be more thoughtful with phrases like "you say you're a ..."
'Ivong, Na'vi!

Niri Te

Quote from: Ni-awtu on July 24, 2012, 11:40:18 AM
hang on a sec, do you guys believe in Eywa as a deity?

and you say you are christians (those of you who do, I'm not talking to any others)?

I think some of them do, I have no problem with people believing what they wish, as long as they do not try to force their beliefs on anyone else. I think that using "Eywa" to conceptualize the feminine attributes of GOD, is fine, and concerning a "Na'vi Bible", it would be a cool diversion for Judeo Christian linguistics experts to have some fun with, but the NKJV was written with such exhaustive research into the original texts in order to come up with a, as true as possible to English translation given the denominational preconditioning of the different translators, that I use it, and the Hebrew Tanakh, as well as a Greek-English trans linear Bible to do any serious studies on crucial, or controversial subjects.
Niri Te
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Ni-awtu

Oh ok, I am really sorry, I realise that could have been offensive-that's not what I meant  :o
I posted really fast and didn't really check what I was saying. please forgive me. :-X

Just reread the posts before me and I guess I misunderstood the previous posts  :(

and cool, thanks for clarifying that  :-[

God bless :8

xx

Eltu Lefngap Makto

No problem  :)  Sorry if I got too mad.  You weren't accusing us of "whoring after Astheroth" so I could've taken it down a notch!  :o
'Ivong, Na'vi!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I wonder if Ni-Awtu read any of Eltu Lefngap Makto's translations of Genesis 1, which might lead one to wonder if some of us believe in Eywa. If that is where you got this, go back and re-read the entire thread so you know why he did that translation the way he did.

I have theorized to myself that much of Eywa resides in a server room deep underground, near where the high-tech Na'vi live. They are on the opposite side of Pandora, and stay underground, so the RDA won't spot them... ;)

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Eltu Lefngap Makto

Nice!  ;D  I know a lot people would be happy to hear that "god" is a sysadmin!  :P
'Ivong, Na'vi!

Niri Te

I want to see the power generation system capable of running a Hyper Computer, or "gang" of Hyper computers, and the various servos, sensors, and slaved micro computers required to pull THAT off. THEN there is the "messy" little detail of Jake's very SPIRIT being transferred to his AVATAR.  NO, for the story to be correct Eywa IS a Deity, and being a Messianic Jew, I have to believe that it is the manifestation of the feminine attributes of GOD.  There are those that say that since GOD said "let US make man in OUR image", Genesis 1:26, and "So GOD created man in HIS own image; in the image of GOD, HE created him; Male, and Female HE created them". Genesis 1:27. If that is to be taken at face value, then  GOD exhibits both gender attributes. There are people that think that only the Holy Spirit embodies the feminine attributes of GOD.  The problem that I have with THAT, is when Yeshua looks out over Jerusalem and says, "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the Prophets, and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, but you were not willing!" There may be nothing more than allegory here in those words, but, I return to my earlier quote out of Genesis 1:26 and 27.
IF  there is a feminine set of attributes that GOD possesses, then I see no problem in my thinking that Eywa in the expression of those attributes, and therefore capable of anything.
Niri Te  

Ni-awtu

irayo :)

@eltu lefngap makto, that's okay. I'm sorry  :-X
:-[

I have no problem with God being bigger than I can understand.
still, we need to be careful to 'have no other gods before [God]'- if the idea of Eywa detracts from God/G-d/yaweh/jehovah then we should not go anywhere near her.

She WAS made as part of casting for a film, ie. made up..... I think that's why I'm confused  ??? because many people refer to her as real, just as some refer to omatikaya as our 'descendants'. but I'm sure they are just part of the film... :O ???

xxx

Niri Te

Quote from: Ni-awtu on July 26, 2012, 05:31:34 AM
irayo :)

@eltu lefngap makto, that's okay. I'm sorry  :-X
:-[

I have no problem with God being bigger than I can understand.
still, we need to be careful to 'have no other gods before [God]'- if the idea of Eywa detracts from God/G-d/yaweh/jehovah then we should not go anywhere near her.

She WAS made as part of casting for a film, ie. made up..... I think that's why I'm confused  ??? because many people refer to her as real, just as some refer to omatikaya as our 'descendants'. but I'm sure they are just part of the film... :O ???

xxx

Ma Ni-awtu,
   I am not trying to delve into the reasonings of the people that made this film the way that they did, I am wondering if we don't ALL "create" an image of GOD when we read of him in the Bible, or even discuss him among ourselves.  How else can a people so seriously limited in perception, and intelligence (when compared to GOD, or even pre-fall Adam and Eve, who were still no where near GOD), even BEGIN to wrap their minds around first the concept, then the personality of GOD? Once we understand that, even if "Eywa" was created to make a Gazillion dollars, and nothing more, If some people use "her" to help them conceptualize of an all powerful deity that CAN be loving, tender and kind to "her" creations, that is a first step in getting to know the "Red Letters Only" Yeshua who exhibited those qualities in his life. THEN, and only then, they can start to try to understand the awesome, fearful, GOD of the Old Testament.
   Some other time, I will share why I think that it is a GOOD idea that most of us have taken on Na'vi names,
ta Niri Te

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

The whole concept of Eywa comes from the concept of Gaia here on earth. It is an alternate spirituality that is unquestionably 'pagan', and is what we would expect of the world. AFAIK, godless people created this film, and it shows very strongly in its spiritual concepts. Not that some of the ideas are wrong, or even ungodly-- stewardship of the earth is a prominent Biblical teaching-- it is just that we are not supposed to worship creation. We are to worship the creator. So that said, the message of Avatar should resonate strongly with Christians.

Yawey ngahu!

Ni-awtu

@ `Eylan Ayfalulukanä

absolutely!  :D

@ Niri Te

thanks, I hadn't really seen it that way before, it was interesting to consider eywa like that! I think maybe, for me at least, I'm unsure about that kind of thing, but as long as it's God you're worshipping (you as in ppl in general :P ), its not an issue at all . reminds me a bit of in CS lewis's narnia series, in the last book.

God bless
xx

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Ni-awtu on July 27, 2012, 10:20:56 AM
@ `Eylan Ayfalulukanä

absolutely!  :D

@ Niri Te

thanks, I hadn't really seen it that way before, it was interesting to consider eywa like that! I think maybe, for me at least, I'm unsure about that kind of thing, but as long as it's God you're worshipping (you as in ppl in general :P ), its not an issue at all . reminds me a bit of in CS lewis's narnia series, in the last book.

God bless
xx

I thought of Emeth (from 'The Last Battle'), even before you mentioned him. There is also a biblical account like this, I think, in 1 or 2 Kings.

I have a friend who is in a very interesting corundum like this. She is a practicing Christian and a practicing Pagan. She is a good person and a good Christian, but can't seem to throw off the pagan part. This leads to a lot of confusion in her life. But to be fair, she has had a very rough life.

Yawey ngahu!

Ni-awtu

yeah, thats what I meant (about Emeth) and... would you mind finding me the reference from kings? I'd love to read it... :)

I think the only thing we can hold on to in these circumstances is that God is fair and just and merciful. so if there are people who never even heard the bible in their lifetime, like villagers and such, they still have the chance of redemption. and in your friend's case, I think God knows her heart. If she loves him and serves him then she is saved xxx

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Ni-awtu on July 29, 2012, 03:48:57 PM
yeah, thats what I meant (about Emeth) and... would you mind finding me the reference from kings? I'd love to read it... :)

I think the only thing we can hold on to in these circumstances is that God is fair and just and merciful. so if there are people who never even heard the bible in their lifetime, like villagers and such, they still have the chance of redemption. and in your friend's case, I think God knows her heart. If she loves him and serves him then she is saved xxx

Its the story of Naaman the Syrian, and it is the entire subject of 2 Kings 5. Verse 18 of that chapter records Naaman's request to be forgiven when he bows to an idol in the presence of the king he serves.

In another thought. Although one might consider the whole world of Avatar to be rather pagan, there are a lot of good Christian folks here!

Yawey ngahu!

Niri Te

I am not sure how pagan it is. You will notice that when the Na'vi "pray" over an animal that they kill, they do NOT pray to it as if it is a Deity, but they ask it's forgiveness, (now that is on a higher spiritual plane). That "prayer" is a lot more for the Taronyu who just made the kill, to remind them that LIFE in general is sacred, NOT the animal, not the forest, and not the planet, which is not worshiped as a deity, but referred to a Eywa's child, HER creation, for which she cares.
If we define Eywa as the embodiment of the feminine characteristics of GOD, then "she" is nothing more that a tool in this movie the caring, nurturing aspect of GOD not just the fearful, judging aspect of HIM. In THAT light, I think that "she" is a good thing.
Niri Te

Ni-awtu

@ `Eylan

thanks :) I look forward to reading it soon ;D and, I know. and that's great!

@ `Eylan and Niri te

mmhh.. maybe, I think the culture it reminds me of the most is red indian (can I say that?)
I read a series by michelle paver about a boy called torak and they put marks on the dead to set their spirit at rest.

and I think maybe some of a just, fearful aspect is portrayed, at the end where she wakes all the creatures to help the omatikaya in their battle against the humans, that would be pretty terrifying if you were in the humans point of view.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

The 'pagan' part I am referring to is the whole concept of Ewya (=Gaia in our world), and the 'spiritual' relationship the Na'vi people have to 'her'. This is equivalent to worshipping nature, or 'the host of heaven' as recorded in the Bible. (This is why a lot of pagan altars as recorded in the OT were 'on hilltops', or 'every green tree'.)

Praying over animals killed for food, fiber, etc. should IMHO be a normal Christian practice. I was doing it long before Avatar came along, as I have a deep respect for (as a mostly-carnivore) the life given up to sustain my life. Thanking God for this makes you never forget how precious our food supply really is. This remembrance (as a general principle) is part of why God tells us to 'in everything give thanks'.

A lot of Christians had a lot to say bad about 'The Lion King' when it first came out. And indeed, there are humanistic/pagan principles presented in this film as well. But there are some real gems of Christian meaning and understanding in this film, culminating with the 'Mufasa's ghost' scene. This scene is a powerful reminder of who we really are in Christ. (I remember a notable a notable sermon on Christian truth in TLK. The guest preacher started out his sermon with a question: "How many of you have seen TLK?". About 2/3 of the hands went up. "OK, then, you've all sinned." Needless to say, this got people's attention! He then went on to show how many good things were in TLK for Christians.)

Yawey ngahu!

Niri Te

Do you believe that GOD even has feminine attributes ma 'Eylan?
Niri Te

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Niri Te on July 30, 2012, 04:19:38 PM
Do you believe that GOD even has feminine attributes ma 'Eylan?
Niri Te

I do, but scripture clearly indicates God is a 'he'. But this does not conflict in any way with God having feminine attributes. Our complete fulfillment as spiritual beings lies in God, regardless of our (or His) sex.

Yawey ngahu!